Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have never seen a goaltender at the NHL level be caught so completely out of position on such a regular basis. Like, not to pin the third goal on him because that's probably going in even with a well-positioned keeper, but for a period of time he was literally outside his right post. He gave it everything he could to sprawl back across the net and barely had the middle of the cage covered because he had lost himself so far to the one side. And he does this a lot. His biggest struggles seem to be completely losing his positional awareness, and his inability to track the puck.

The other thing is, as we've seen, when he gets regular starts, he's still talented enough to overcome those issues and play pretty well. But for him to succeed, he'll need at least a timeshare situation, if not a crap team that will take a gamble and let him start. He is not suited to being a sporadically-used backup.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’ve said it since last season: I’ll take Kinkaid as a back up literally any day over this Georgie.
At this point I think Kinkaid might be a better choice in the role the Rangers have established for their backup--limited action. Georgiev clearly loses his focus completely when he has to go a week, two weeks, possibly more without a start. I think if there was a situation where Shesterkin was out for several games, Georgiev would likely be the better choice, but in the end we'd be f***ed in that scenario regardless, so...

Reactions: egelband

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Looked at the starter tonight and basically gave up most hope of getting two points on the board.

Even when he has had a semi-longer run in the team, he still gives up rebounds like a pinball machine and deflates the team with early or soft goals / momentum crushing goals.

There is absolutely no way Keith Kinkaid would be a worse choice as back-up at this point.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Would it be feasible to send Georgiev to Hartford so he can get plenty of action and maybe build some confidence? Seems like, if he’s thought to be Igor injury insurance, Hartford is a better place to stash him.
I feel like Edmonton and Boston both have been doing this with their young goalies to keep them busy.
I know AG is a bit older but I think this might be a good compromise assuming no acceptable trade offers have come in for him.

Reactions: gump116

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It’s overdue, he needs a change. Both for a better opportunity for him to get more games somewhere, and so NYR has a legit solid back up that gives you a chance to win every time he plays.

geo playing feast/famine in the back up role isn’t helping anyone....

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Would it be feasible to send Georgiev to Hartford so he can get plenty of action and maybe build some confidence? Seems like, if he’s thought to be Igor injury insurance, Hartford is a better place to stash him.
I feel like Edmonton and Boston both have been doing this with their young goalies to keep them busy.
I know AG is a bit older but I think this might be a good compromise assuming no acceptable trade offers have come in for him.
Send him to Jacksonville

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Send him to Jacksonville
upload_2022-3-9_18-17-42.gif

Reactions: bl02

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The shooter tutor stops more pucks. The Rangers aren't qualifying him at $2.65M. He is of no use to the Rangers. His numbers are better with more starts. Can Drury acquire a goalie who is more comfortable being the back-up for the rest of this season and ship off Georgiev to Montreal or another team who will give him an opportunity? Maybe that team signs Georgiev to an extension.

acon-wave-g183-goalkeeper-shooter-tutor.jpg

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
The sad part is he made some really great saves too. But making great saves and letting in softies isn’t a recipe for success.

Bad starts for a goaltender can ruin a game. And that happened here tonight. The second goal was not his fault. But the first one was really rough.

And his position on the third was terrible (he had most of the net left wide open). And his attempt on the breakaway just wasn’t great.

Rangers also played poor defense in front of him though. They were loose all game. The entire team was bad. But it started from Georgiev’s first goal. They basically imploded after the third goal.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
6. 4, 4, 5, 5 GA in his last 5 starts.

And somebody is trading something worthwhile for this guy? I think not. If anything, he's part of a package and the Rangers are doing him a favor giving him a fresh start. He's worthless at this point unless someone has a whole lot of faith. And a rabbits foot. And a four leafed clover.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Looked at the starter tonight and basically gave up most hope of getting two points on the board.

Even when he has had a semi-longer run in the team, he still gives up rebounds like a pinball machine and deflates the team with early or soft goals / momentum crushing goals.

There is absolutely no way Keith Kinkaid would be a worse choice as back-up at this point.

I laughed at your rebound analogy...he plays goal like I play pinball...I'm no wizard and usually edging towards tilt.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
So apparently he said in the post game that only more playing time can work his rust off, and the coaches need to think about that??? The guy doesn't GAS that we have an all timer starting who is doing some special stuff, it's MEMEMEME give me more playing time and sit the Vezina/Hart caliber guy so I can become a decent starter again, lmao send his ass to Hartford and he can be a sourpuss down there.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I'm alright losing him to waivers. I doubt we get anything more than a 5th or 6th at this point.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
The sad part is he made some really great saves too. But making great saves and letting in softies isn’t a recipe for success.

Bad starts for a goaltender can ruin a game. And that happened here tonight. The second goal was not his fault. But the first one was really rough.

And his position on the third was terrible (he had most of the net left wide open). And his attempt on the breakaway just wasn’t great.

Rangers also played poor defense in front of him though. They were loose all game. The entire team was bad. But it started from Georgiev’s first goal. They basically imploded after the third goal.
Yeah, he makes saves that I don't expect him to make but then he doesn't make the saves he should. I think the talent is there but I kinda think it's all a mental thing with him. Not Allaire's fault but I wish there was a way to get through to Georgiev, he's capable of being better. As others have mentioned the time off between starts (and their circumstances) isn't helping but at the same time he needs to seize the opportunity when he does get the start.
Letting in some softies both early and late in games isn't helping, and it's not like Georgiev is a rookie or 4th stringer, he's been here long enough to be familiar with the team and staff which for me makes it frustrating. Gallant's gameplan shouldn't have to change when Shesterkin sits nor should the confidence of the team in front of him.
If Georgiev can't handle it then try to find a backup who understands his role and is able to step up when needed or at least keep it close, but I suppose that's easier said than done with alot of teams looking for goalies this year.

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
G is as good as Talbot… the defense is really bad when is playin. It doesn’t help letting in a bad goal per game.. all the defensemen had bad game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad