Speculation: Alex Steen

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I posted that one unfortunately. It was from Tessier on HockeyBuzz.

"One other thought on Winnipeg and possible players. With a fair bit of cap space coming up this off-season speculation has come as to whether the Jets make a play for Alexander Steen, son of long-time Jets player and current Winnipeg city councilor Tomas Steen. Not gonna happen. The elder Steen has been quite open about saying his son is not looking to have the pressure of a hometown fan base around him."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Peter-Tessier-Taking-Notice-Kane-and-Byfuglien/1/56126

I have been posting about wanting to get Steen here since before his great season this year.

BUT, I think the smart money is on him re-signing in St. Louis. It's a great team, he probaly is pretty comfortable there, and he has a good chance at a cup.

That being said, if he did make it to FA, I also don't think just because he spent a few years in Winnipeg that all of a sudden he wants to come here, or that we would be the front runners. It might help a tiny little bit that he has family here, etc, but I think that is secondary to contract $ and term, and the quality and opportunities that different teams offer. Nor does the reason I really think he would be a great fit for us have anything to do with him spending time here as a kid.

If he makes it to FA, I just hope Chevy makes him a very good offer and we have a chance. Steen either on the wing or at C would be a massive upgrade to this team. On the ice, off the ice, offense, defense, leadership, etc.

What are you talking about. A few years? He grew up here. Left when he was 15. That is not a few years. Good god, so many people have so little knowledge of their own in this town.

bazaaa*

I'd like Frolik and Olli back at the right price.
I don't think Seto comes back, he'll probably want more money than what we offer.

I'd probably take Vanek over Steen if I had a choice.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
What are you talking about. A few years? He grew up here. Left when he was 15. That is not a few years. Good god, so many people have so little knowledge of their own in this town.

And considers it his hometown. He comes back every summer and does charity work in the city. Still don't agree with him that he's building his kids centre in the richest part of town, but he's still a hometown boy.

boanst

May 25, 2013

I think your missing the point bro

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
No way st Louis lets him walk,
St Louis has very little control over what he decides to do.

What if a crazy rich cap team offers him $44 million over 8 years (AAV=5.5m), knowing the cap is set to rise rapidly, but St Louis only sees fit to offer him $27.5 over 5 years (same AAV).
Steen doesn't need to be a selfish, 'money-phone' kind of guy to make a deal with the highest bidder-- eg, the interest on the extra 16.5 mill could support his favourite charities back in the 'peg to the tune of $1million per year in perpetuity.

Nice position to be in and he'll only be in it once.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

And he's now going on 30, and has established himself in a cup contending team was the point. I never said he left here at 2.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
They tried and if they miss the playoffs again - they've failed.

At this point we are waiting for young guys to push them down the roster.

I agree that the Jets are most likely looking at a future where they hope the young guys push the older group down the roster, and that both together can take the team where they want to go.

What I was just saying, is that I don't think it has to be either / or. It doesn't have to be either we A) sell off young guys to try to add to LLW etc to win now, or B) Sell off LLW to get younger pieces to win later.

Steen will be 30 next season, but at 35 or 36 (when Kane, Scheifele, Bogo, etc need to be carrying this team because according to some, if you're not carrying your team in your mid to late 20's it's never going to happen) will still be a valuable contributor. So he would help us now, and in the future, just in a different capacity in both situations. Plus, he would help the team in other ways that don't show up on the scoresheet, which only helps the end goal.

Regarding Kane, we both agree that dealing him for an older player makes no sense, but all I am saying is that IF he is dealt, there could be deals out there that do not make the Jets any older significantly, and possibly improve the team as well. It wouldn't be about turning Kane into older, or younger assets, just transforming him into a "different" asset. ROR being my example.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Peter Tessier ‏@Teddier 15m

Is Montoya starting?

Allan Simonson ‏@allan5oh 12m

@Teddier Ken Wiebe reported Pavelec likely starter. Is it true that Alex Steen would never play in Winnipeg?

Peter Tessier ‏@Teddier 4m

@allan5oh yes that is true

Allan Simonson ‏@allan5oh 2m

@Teddier You understand I'll have to confirm with my sources ;)

Peter Tessier ‏@Teddier 2m

@allan5oh call the city councillor himself

Allan Simonson ‏@allan5oh 32m

@Teddier That sucks, always liked the guy. He also invested a million bucks into Winnipeg not too long ago.

Peter Tessier ‏@Teddier 27m

@allan5oh I did not know that but apparently he's been quite open about not wantig the pressure that would come with playing here

I do have a source that I'll use when I get the chance. It's a non-hockey source so he's likely to get a more honest answer from Thomas Steen. Tessier is likely right though, it's not like he's beating around the bush here.

Last edited:

nags

Sep 27, 2006
And he's now going on 30, and has established himself in a cup contending team was the point. I never said he left here at 2.

Admit it, you didn't have a clue how many years he spent here playing minor hockey. You made it sound like he was here for a cup of coco. He wasn't. He has strong ties to this town just like Toews and he loves his home town.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I know someone who is a close family friend of the Steen family, and they say that he is very happy in STL and will re-sign there.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Again who cares if he is from Winnipeg? Unless it means he is going to sign here for 50 cents on the dollar why does it matter? It's not like Winnipeg needs the novelty of having a hometown guy to sell tickets, nor does it make him or the team any better because he was born here.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
St Louis has very little control over what he decides to do.

What if a crazy rich cap team offers him $44 million over 8 years (AAV=5.5m), knowing the cap is set to rise rapidly, but St Louis only sees fit to offer him $27.5 over 5 years (same AAV).
Steen doesn't need to be a selfish, 'money-phone' kind of guy to make a deal with the highest bidder-- eg, the interest on the extra 16.5 mill could support his favourite charities back in the 'peg to the tune of $1million per year in perpetuity.

Nice position to be in and he'll only be in it once.

The thought of adding an 8 year deal with Steen to our stable of somewhat questionable long-term signings is a little scary.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The thought of adding an 8 year deal with Steen to our stable of somewhat questionable long-term signings is a little scary.

The only questionable long-term deal we have currently is Pavelec.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The only questionable long-term deal we have currently is Pavelec.

As long as some of the younger guys follow an upward trajectory. If they continue to be injured for long stretches and inconsistent for others, they will be rotten assets that never meet the value of their contract.

Pavelec is 4 years total, at least we could buy him out reasonably if we really needed to. The years are worse than the $$$ in some cases, but I guess it's always a bit of a gamble.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Admit it, you didn't have a clue how many years he spent here playing minor hockey. You made it sound like he was here for a cup of coco. He wasn't. He has strong ties to this town just like Toews and he loves his home town.

No, I did know he spent a good portion of his childhood here. I just don't want to put a whole bunch of stock into that in some attempt to paint a picture that that means he for sure is coming here.

But thanks for your great contributions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad