Speculation: Alex Steen

Only Jokinen

Feb 4, 2013
I've heard people say there is a chance Steen wants to come play with the jets after he becomes a UFA after this season. Any reality to this? Does anyone have an article or something to back it up? Potential lineup?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I have a hard time believing the Blues even let him touch free agency. They do a great job of getting their players on good contracts, but I believe they'd be willing to overpay Steen to keep him there. He's a very important piece of their team.

The rumour is almost entirely based off the fact he's from Winnipeg. Lets not become the Toronto fanbase and just assume that because a player was born in the area that they're just dying to play here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think Steen would be one of those Winnipeg guys who wouldn't mind playing here (unlike some others), but I don't think there's any truth to the rumours that he is targeting coming here next year other than fans' wishful thinking. If he hits the market, I'm sure Chevy will push for him, but I don't think he'll turn down the Blues because he wants to play for the Jets.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I think I recall him saying he was interested in coming to Winnipeg. Can't remember the source though.

That said, I'm surprised if he ends up here, because he is going to get PAID this offseason.

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
There was a quote of some sort posted the other day from Thomas Steen basically squashing those rumours and saying that Alex has no desire to put up with the pressures of playing in his hometown, etc.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I read last week on the Blues board that they decided this past summer not to negotiate a new deal at that time. Sounds like it may get to this summer. Whether they re-sign him or not, who knows..

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There was a quote of some sort posted the other day from Thomas Steen basically squashing those rumours and saying that Alex has no desire to put up with the pressures of playing in his hometown, etc.

Zajac said the same thing before re-signing with New Jersey, although not necessarily in public like Thomas Steen. Playing in your hometown can be horrible, especially if you don't live up to expectations. The luster can wear off quickly.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I posted that one unfortunately. It was from Tessier on HockeyBuzz.

"One other thought on Winnipeg and possible players. With a fair bit of cap space coming up this off-season speculation has come as to whether the Jets make a play for Alexander Steen, son of long-time Jets player and current Winnipeg city councilor Tomas Steen. Not gonna happen. The elder Steen has been quite open about saying his son is not looking to have the pressure of a hometown fan base around him."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Peter-Tessier-Taking-Notice-Kane-and-Byfuglien/1/56126

I have been posting about wanting to get Steen here since before his great season this year.

BUT, I think the smart money is on him re-signing in St. Louis. It's a great team, he probaly is pretty comfortable there, and he has a good chance at a cup.

That being said, if he did make it to FA, I also don't think just because he spent a few years in Winnipeg that all of a sudden he wants to come here, or that we would be the front runners. It might help a tiny little bit that he has family here, etc, but I think that is secondary to contract $ and term, and the quality and opportunities that different teams offer. Nor does the reason I really think he would be a great fit for us have anything to do with him spending time here as a kid.

If he makes it to FA, I just hope Chevy makes him a very good offer and we have a chance. Steen either on the wing or at C would be a massive upgrade to this team. On the ice, off the ice, offense, defense, leadership, etc.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
A player of Steen's quality signing with a non-cup contender is foolish unless the team throws stupid money at him.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Steen will be 30 years old and will have had one great year! Not a chance..........he's gonna make 6/7 M and some team is gonna get screwd IMHO and hopefully it isn't us.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Steen definitely comes with a huge "buyer beware" tag, simply depending on what kind of contract a team offers him if he does indeed make it to free agency, see; David Clarkson. He's likely to never have a season again like he is having right now. He brings some nice things to the table, but he's realistically a 2nd line player who's going to get you 45-50 points while missing some time due to injury, in my opinion. If he plays a full season (doubtful) he could possibly reach 55-60 points.

St. Louis appears to be a really good fit for him, so, I could see him staying there on a 4 year deal, 5 million per.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah, count me in the not so interested category. Don't get me wrong, I really like Steen as a player, and I would be happy to see another Swede on the team, not to mention a new guy that shares my first name after we shipped the last one off to Siberia. But...

He will get paaaaid after the season he's having now, and at 30 years old, I don't see him suddenly becoming a top point producer in the league. Cue another FA overpayment incoming, and I don't really want us stuck with an albatross contract.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Sounds like there is more sources citing a lack of interest on Steen's part, rather than an interest. This is a fan's pipe dream. Though perhaps less so than the Jets getting Toews and Selanne, who will 99% likely (and very happily) retire as a Hawk and Duck.

Last edited:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
There is only one player from Winnipeg that I want to see play in Winnipeg.
He is on out division, but doesn't play for the Blues ;)

I am not at all interested in 6-7 million some sucker is going to end up paying Steen.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah, count me in the not so interested category. Don't get me wrong, I really like Steen as a player, and I would be happy to see another Swede on the team, not to mention a new guy that shares my first name after we shipped the last one off to Siberia. But...

He will get paaaaid after the season he's having now, and at 30 years old, I don't see him suddenly becoming a top point producer in the league. Cue another FA overpayment incoming, and I don't really want us stuck with an albatross contract.

This is why I am interested in Coligano. He isn't the same level of scoring talent as Steener, but he can score and he is a possession wizard. He is also younger and should be way way way cheaper.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
This is why I am interested in Coligano. He isn't the same level of scoring talent as Steener, but he can score and he is a possession wizard. He is also younger and should be way way way cheaper.

Also he has game changing speed. During last years playoffs I was blown away.

jetkarma*

He isn't a pending FA though is he?

jetkarma*

UFA as of July 1st.

The thought of Frolik and Cogliano is a nice one for our 3rd line.

Thanks for the update. He would indeed be a really sweet addition to the third line. While Halischuk has been ok , he certainly isn't ideal or as I phrase it a real plus player.

jetkarma*

UFA as of July 1st.

The thought of Frolik and Cogliano is a nice one for our 3rd line.

While I don't want nor expect Scheifele to be a third C in the not too distant future , that would be a real plus third trio.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
These reports of no interest in playing here is a bummer. With no contract negotitations happening between the Blues and Steen I thought we had a real shot. With the cap going way up in the next couple of years, he would be a huge boost to the Jets. Ideal veteran leadership for us. Him and Frolik on the same line would be defensively dominating...

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Does anyone have the actual quote from Thomas Steen? Taking a second hand quote from hockeybuzz( from the same guy that said Buff was 300+ pounds) doesn't seem too reliable to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad