Confirmed with Link: Alex Semin and Hurricanes agree to 5 year, 7 million avg deal

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Thank god. No doubt Semin is worth it. If he were a Canadian putting up these numbers, everyone would be fine with it, maybe even call it a steal.

Would love to hear from that Rocky guy.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
All I can say is that JR better learn how to draft past then second round like two years ago.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Would have liked the dollar amount a little less but am not complaining. Have to wonder what's up with so much money locked up in a few players.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
Surprised it cost them 7mil per, however this is good for you guys.

Staal to Semin for another 5 years. Nice.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Great stuff. Give JR credit for stepping up and at least TRYING to ice a solid team for the next few years.

Bottom line is we landed a top line talent for years to come. Didn't waste a prospect or pick to do it either. And thats tough to do nowadays with all these top tier guys getting long term deals.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Now that this is done, they should seriously look into trading Skinner for a defenseman. Before this season that would have been unthinkable, but now they have a vastly superior hockey player locked up for only 1.25M/yr more than Skinner. It's the only way to address the defense long term. All you are getting otherwise at the deadline is some mediocre #4/5.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Now that this is done, they should seriously look into trading Skinner for a defenseman. Before this season that would have been unthinkable, but now they have a vastly superior hockey player locked up for only 1.25M/yr more than Skinner. It's the only way to adress the defense long term. All you are getting otherwise at the deadline is some mediocre #4/5.

I'm a lot less against this than I was 6 months ago. Possibly even for a true high-end power forward type. After the second concussion he doesn't seem quite right in the head, and it might be a good idea to make a move before the rest of the league figures that out.

Wonder what it would take to get Subban from MTL?

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Now that this is done, they should seriously look into trading Skinner for a defenseman. Before this season that would have been unthinkable, but now they have a vastly superior hockey player locked up for only 1.25M/yr more than Skinner. It's the only way to address the defense long term. All you are getting otherwise at the deadline is some mediocre #4/5.
Right, like we're going to get a better d-man for a guy who isn't much better than Nigel Dawes.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm a lot less against this than I was 6 months ago. Possibly even for a true high-end power forward type. After the second concussion he doesn't seem quite right in the head, and it might be a good idea to make a move before the rest of the league figures that out.

Wonder what it would take to get Subban from MTL?

Too much, I think. Likely Skinner and if we cough that up - well great, we've got a shiny new defenseman but the second line consists of Jordan Staal and plugs. As it is I think finding a solid right winger for that line, either internally or via trade, is a critical need.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Too much, I think. Likely Skinner and if we cough that up - well great, we've got a shiny new defenseman but the second line consists of Jordan Staal and plugs. As it is I think finding a solid right winger for that line, either internally or via trade, is a critical need.

More critical than a top pairing D that plays 20-24 minutes a night, a spot currently occupied by Joe Corvo?

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Doesn't hurt to be running about 90% capacity this season, + more investors to spread the risk. We might well be cap team next year. Hell, in the new division we almost have to be.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
As opposed to the current second line, which consists of Jeff Skinner with brief cameos from his linemates whom he occasionally elects to pass to, but not after turning the puck over seventy-five times a game and getting scored against. Staal with Jokinen and Ruutu would be a much better line than what we have going now.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I'm fine with the move. Wanted Semin for a little less but if they feel confident in paying him that much that it won't hurt the team in the long run, then I'm all for it.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
As opposed to the current second line, which consists of Jeff Skinner with brief cameos from his linemates whom he occasionally elects to pass to, but not after turning the puck over seventy-five times a game and getting scored against. Staal with Jokinen and Ruutu would be a much better line than what we have going now.
So we're supposed to get a top 4 d-man for a player as awful as Skinner?

Not sure if meth logic or bad trolling, or a combination of both.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
More critical than a top pairing D that plays 20-24 minutes a night, a spot currently occupied by Joe Corvo?

What I'm saying is, in my opinion, trading off Skinner to gain Subban is robbing Peter to pay Paul. That top pairing Dman is a nice thing to have, but so is having multiple scoring lines. Sacrificing Skinner isn't the way to go about doing that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Cautiously optimistic about the deal. Wouldn't be the first time a player plays great for a contract, then plays less so after he gets paid.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Props to JR for finally adding a legit top line winger, and doing so via free agency on a reasonable deal.

I was hoping for something like 4 years at 6m per, but like others pointed out, with Getzlaf and Perry getting well over 8m, this is a good deal for us. Also a great sign that we are committing 35m to a player, very encouraging to see the new investors allowing us the freedom to spend.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I'm not sure how some can watch this defense year after year and never want to actually trade anybody of any worth for a good defenseman. There seems to be some strange line of thought that all we need is some physical bottom-pairing defenseman, as if getting "tougher" for 15 minutes a game solves the issue of the consistent presence of a terrible defenseman in the top 4, or two terrible defensemen when Pitkanen is hurt, combined with Justin Faulk and Tim Gleason not really being all that great when you evaluate it objectively instead of fawning over alleged physicality or age/potential. People have spent so much time scapegoating McBainguinetti that they have failed to notice the elephant in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad