Alex Ovechkin hits 700 career NHL goals!

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
yeah he is. He’s dominated this era & has lead his teams to 5 championships (3 Cups, 2 Gold Medals). He’s been the face of the NHL the entire time. The only repeat winner of the Conn Smythe in the salary cap era. His game is a 200 foot bust-your-ass every shift mentality. He could legitimately challenge for both the Art Ross & Selke Trophies with his play. 5th GOAT.
lol No. His defensive play is overrated and when you need to fill in the majority of your post with team accomplishment fluff you should just stop.

Reactions: Zuluss

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
crosby is not the 5th best player of all time. team stats are just that- the guys around you. Pittsburgh has had better talent around crosby than Washington has had under ovechkin. hence 3 cups to 1. but we're not comparing pittsburgh to Washington. we';re comparing crosby as an individual to Ovechkin as an individual. If we compare them on Goals ovechkin has a solid lead of 242 goals. Assists Crosby has 794 Ovechkin 570. basically Crosby;s assist lead cancels out the Ovechin lead in goals to the point where crosby is only 18 points behind Alex. Neither of them are approaching 2000 total points. someone might pass Gretzky in goals but his total points of 2857 and the assists record of 1963 are untouchable. Thorton is the active assists leader, and hes still nearly nine HUNDRED assists away. Gretzky has more assists than anyone else has points.

Reactions: Frosty415

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
crosby is not the 5th best player of all time. team stats are just that- the guys around you. Pittsburgh has had better talent around crosby than Washington has had under ovechkin. hence 3 cups to 1. but we're not comparing pittsburgh to Washington. we';re comparing crosby as an individual to Ovechkin as an individual. If we compare them on Goals ovechkin has a solid lead of 242 goals. Assists Crosby has 794 Ovechkin 570. basically Crosby;s assist lead cancels out the Ovechin lead in goals to the point where crosby is only 18 points behind Alex. Neither of them are approaching 2000 total points. someone might pass Gretzky in goals but his total points of 2857 and the assists record of 1963 are untouchable. Thorton is the active assists leader, and hes still nearly nine HUNDRED assists away. Gretzky has more assists than anyone else has points.

Capitals have better talent, difference is that Ovechkin over the past 10 years needs an elite linemate to be successful. Caps would have several cups if they ran Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov as their 3 lines over the past few years. Penguins have stonewalled the Caps several times because Crosby had been able to manage 2 of the Caps big weapons by himself, leaving Malkin to clean up the garbage.

Reactions: Vegeta and Lesky

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Nah. It was a different time for everyone, even the athlete fitness. Plus they knocked your ass down back then.
Lol they still knock your ass down, that's why Crosby and Malkin can't string together a full season if their lives depended on it

Ovechkin would still be the highest tank in the 80s just as he is now

Reactions: Sam Spade

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Caught the Caps Coyotes game. Think the Caps need to worry more about winning games and less about feeding O the puck.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Caught the Caps Coyotes game. Think the Caps need to worry more about winning games and less about feeding O the puck.

Considering I saw Ovi drop the puck backwards while in the slot against COL, I don't think 700 is the only thing he (or they) care about. They know their season is currently in a funk the last 20 games.

I think the media is the one blowing 700 up, for obvious reasons.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Just relax. Ovie is saving it for home ice. Ted is planning to have a big celebration and parade after number 700! Having it happen at home is most important now, Ovechkin is very loyal to Ted and vice versa. But Ovie will probably try for 699 on the road to set it up real easy for DC.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Lol they still knock your ass down, that's why Crosby and Malkin can't string together a full season if their lives depended on it

Ovechkin would still be the highest tank in the 80s just as he is now
Malkin is injury prone. Crosby not so much. Last 6 seasons averaged 79 regular season games. Crosby's injuries clustered earlier in his career, over 2-3 seasons I think. But those seasons he missed a lot of games.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
lol No. His defensive play is overrated and when you need to fill in the majority of your post with team accomplishment fluff you should just stop.

Those were teams he lead. Part of the equation. Kinda like Steve Yzerman or Mark Messier. 5th GOAT.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
GOAT goalscorer and winger imo. Put Ovi up against 80's goalies and defense and he cracks 100 in a season or 2.
Nah. It was a different time for everyone, even the athlete fitness. Plus they knocked your ass down back then.
You're kidding, right? Ovechkin would have been a monster in the 80s at 6'3", 235 lbs. No one would have been knocking his ass down; he would have fought several times and made his space and been the original power forward. Yes, an even better example than oft-celebrated Cam Neely.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
yeah he is. He’s dominated this era & has lead his teams to 5 championships (3 Cups, 2 Gold Medals). He’s been the face of the NHL the entire time. The only repeat winner of the Conn Smythe in the salary cap era. His game is a 200 foot bust-your-ass every shift mentality. He could legitimately challenge for both the Art Ross & Selke Trophies with his play. 5th GOAT.
Those were teams he lead. Part of the equation. Kinda like Steve Yzerman or Mark Messier. 5th GOAT.
If you really think Sidney Crosby is 5th GOAT in the NHL as of February 16, 2020, you cannot be taken seriously about a number of things hockey-related.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think if he gets a few goals in Vegas then that would be another top career moment for him at our arena even though it has only been around a few years of his career.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
yes he is. Sorry you don’t appreciate greatness when you see it.
There's a difference between appreciating greatness (I never said he wasn't a great player, I've gone to bat to defend him from detractors in the past) and being delusional (saying he's the 5th-best player ever in the NHL).

Reactions: psycat

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
If you asked 31 NHL GMs who they would pick, 30 wouldn’t hesitate to pick Sid & the 31st team would sweat it out before deciding.
It clearly shows your bias when you decide for all GMs to chose great center regardless their need. A lot of teams have 1/2 legit centers, getting an epic winger would be better for them. With many great centers in the league, great winger is the rare breed today.

If you mean that all Gms will prefer Crosby to start a team, it doesn't prove his better either, because at equal talent, GM picks center over winger. At equal talent, GM will pick Canadian over Russian. You can't really use this argument.

Without saying that picking Ovy or Crosby won't get you stanley cup without champion team. And even if they will get SC in future, it doesn't mean the choice was right since you can't prove if with other one you wouldn't get it faster.

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
There's a difference between appreciating greatness (I never said he wasn't a great player, I've gone to bat to defend him from detractors in the past) and being delusional (saying he's the 5th-best player ever in the NHL).

based on accomplishment the argument is valid. Sid checks all the boxes needed.

OmazingGrace

Apr 19, 2019
Both have different styles of play. that said, If I was building a cup winning team, 87 gets the first nod. And I love Alex.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He lacks the most important "check" for me, peak.

His peak offensive level of play was arguably just as high as Malkin's level in 11/12 while playing a better 2-way game. That he looked like he was at his peak over multiple seasons is definitely a "check"

If you want to play the "raw numbers only" game, then he has the best Art Ross win since Wayne in 91/92 in 13/14 when he beat 2nd place by over 20%.

Reactions: Lesky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad