Confirmed with Link: Alex Nylander to Pens for Sam Lafferty

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Discussed Lafferty with a hardcore Penguins fan last night and he said he likes his game---thinks he'll be a quality 3/4th line addition----plays hard, strong on his skates, physical, gets after it type of player.....thought he could show more "O" than he did in Pitt.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Time will still tell whether it was the right move to ship out Nylander (I personally was not a fan of his game), but how is everyone feeling about this trade now that Lafferty has settled in?

I like his game and think he is actually more effective in a top 6 role for us. He was looking good playing with Toews. He's good on the forecheck, wins his battles, jams pucks loose, goes hard to the net...all things the Hawks sorely need more of. Especially surrounding our skilled players.

Not the smartest player, but if he could get a better shot or better hands, he could be a real solid power forward IMO.

Thoughts?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Time will still tell whether it was the right move to ship out Nylander (I personally was not a fan of his game), but how is everyone feeling about this trade now that Lafferty has settled in?

I like his game and think he is actually more effective in a top 6 role for us. He was looking good playing with Toews. He's good on the forecheck, wins his battles, jams pucks loose, goes hard to the net...all things the Hawks sorely need more of. Especially surrounding our skilled players.

Not the smartest player, but if he could get a better shot or better hands, he could be a real solid power forward IMO.

Thoughts?

Lafferty? A top 6 power forward?

Not buying it. Not unless you’re a team that has horrendous forward depth.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Thoughts?
He’s been ok. His speed is noticeable on a slower hawks team. He has Alex fortin like hands.

Reactions: Giovi

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
We need bottom 6 like Lafferty. Something we did t really have. But not a top 6 guy….more a 3rd line complimentary piece which is nice to have too.

we really need some too 6 talent in the next few years.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
His speed and willingness to play with some grit are his strengths. But he's nowhere near being a top 6 talent, even in Chicago.

I thought the DBC Toews Laffety line, at times, played some of the best hockey this team has played this year (I remember the game against the Avs in Jan specifically). Sometimes skilled top line players benefit from big or fast puck retrievers on their lines.

Middle 6 might be closer, but do I think he is a stand-alone middle 6? No. A potentially decent complimentary player on this CHI team? Sure, if he could improve his scoring touch.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Even if Lafferty tops out as being a good 4th liner for us the rest of the season, it will probably still be more valuable than what Nylander was going to give. People were mesmerized by him showing decent hands or making a quick play every once and a while and thought these rare shows of talent would become more consistent.

Quick hands is great but it's not enough to be a NHLer. Nylander was soft, played perimeter hockey, and shied away from contact. He had decent tools but can't hone in on how to change his game to be an effective (affective?) player.

That sums up most of the roster on these Hawks teams Colliton coached and Bowman assembled. Fringe talent playing on the fringes in the offensive zone and not physical enough to keep offenses doing as they please. I don't know WTF happened to Bowman but in retrospect most of what he did after the Panarin trade led us straight to the ground. Telling everyone how important it is to draft and develop Dmen and look at the Hawks now. Turning Jokiharju who plays 20 minutes a night in Buffalo and is somehow only a -2 into Lafferty, drafting Mitchell who at best needs a lot more time in the AHL before he's a top 4D here, trading Boqvist for Seth Jones right as this team plummets further away from being a Cup contender, and god knows if we ever see Beudin in a Hawks sweater again.

Toews never lived up to his $10.5 AAV
Seabrook was $7M in dead cap
Strome is barely a 2C
Murphy never became the Hjalmarsson replacement he was traded for
The idea that Saad for Panarin would get the team back on track didn't work out
Q was both kept here too long and wasn't given a good enough roster to win with
Saad for Zadorov was just stupid
Traded for Shaw again despite serious concussion issues
Calvin deHaan never lived up to his AAV
Signed McCabe to a deal he's already underperforming for
Dach isn't progressing as we hoped

Not everything was a bad decision, he had some successes, but there were way too many bad trades, signings, and picks that all add up to where we're at now. The Nylander trade unsurprisingly being a bust is the epitome of the direction this team has been in since getting swept by Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad