Confirmed with Link: Alex Nylander re-signs (1 year, 874k)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It is so simple...if Alex Nylander is going to continue being only a fimesse-sifty player then he must compensate for that with actual superior difference-makinh production of a star level ...

Finesse-softy types are only suited to top six forward roles if they maintain star production levels...They are not suited to be kept as bottom six if they are soft perimeter pkayers who are only producing at replaceable levels where tge replacements also bring more grit abd defensive engagement.

So Nylander needs to actualky become a star player on a top 2 line roke OR transform from finesse only to a more rounded 2 wY contributor for a bottom six role.

If he fails to improve to a star level or settles into the same player we have seen so far in his career in tge show,then he fails his test and should be kicked out the door.

Big chance for hom to prove he belongs in the NHL....if hesquandersxthis chance ....bye-bye.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
At 23 and 24 Sharp was a minor leaguer. When called up for injuries his play was middling. It clicked for him at 25.
Someone here wants to see Sharp type play. I’d say 23 year old Nylander is ahead of 23 year old Sharp.
Rockford is exactly where Nylander should be. He should play his way up to Chicago.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Nylander puts up 18G 22A over 75GP next year, would that be enough to satisfy Nylander critics on this forum?
He can score 25pts in 75GP and I'd be happy if he shows consistent effort, smarter plays in the offensive zone (not just getting in the zone, taking a turn, and look, and passing the puck away, or turning it over), and shows strong two way play. If he fixes those issues, he will score more than 25pts, and could potentially be a 50pt player. But there is major doubt that he can fix those things, but as a Hawk fan, I'm hopeful.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He can score 25pts in 75GP and I'd be happy if he shows consistent effort, smarter plays in the offensive zone (not just getting in the zone, taking a turn, and look, and passing the puck away, or turning it over), and shows strong two way play. If he fixes those issues, he will score more than 25pts, and could potentially be a 50pt player. But there is major doubt that he can fix those things, but as a Hawk fan, I'm hopeful.
That's how I see it as well. Judging a player by number of points scored can be deceiving either way. It is how he plays that counts and there is a lot about his game that Nylander needs to rectify.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If he is on top 2 lines then he simply must produce minimum 50 points or 25 goals and 20+assists
..and mustxAKSO be positive 10+ in thexES situation.

If hevis used on 3rd linectgen 35 +ponunts butcagain must be +10 or better in ES...

Neither of tgse is star level...merely acceptable levels to avoid replacement ...if hevusxworsextgan tgese minimum targets then he shoukd be replaced.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The day AN scores a hat trick AND makes a defensive play like this, then we’ll let the comps begin. Otherwise, I won’t hear any of it.

I’m not even a Nylander fan. However I’d prefer comparing apples to apples. Please post some highlights of what a 23 year old Sharp was doing.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
As a Sabres fan, I was definitely pleased with the trade to bring Joker to Buffalo. That said, I still believe Nylander has some potential. His development was botched in Buffalo (surprise, surprise). I think with more structure he can be a very good NHL player.

Rockford might not be a bad place for him to go for a bit. But there has been some drive/entitlement questions with him so would he take it the right way? That's all speculation, obviously.

TLDR: I like Nylander and hope Chicago can help him turn into something nearing his potential.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know he probably is not.. this bad hockey player but damn,..its like he doesn't even care anymore....
and it shows in his point production...

Almost 20 games played this season in the AHL, for the Icehogs.

8 points (4 pp points), has the worst +/- of his team, which is -12, the only double digit player,
plays with 2.0 shots on goal avg, which is not very high, he has no penalty minutes.

I could go on but, yeah.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nylander isn't even dominating the AHL(hovering around 0.5 ppg) so I think I've given up hope at this point. Would expect him to be on waivers in camp next year.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Toews gets a pass for missing a year and looking like total f***ing dogshit most nights, because of....whatever obscure illness he claims he had. Yet, Nylander, who had a tangible reason for missing all of last season(you know, a serious knee injury, that required surgery), doesn't even get half a season before we throw in the towel. Holy f*** is this place insufferable.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Toews gets a pass for missing a year and looking like total f***ing dogshit most nights, because of....whatever obscure illness he claims he had. Yet, Nylander, who had a tangible reason for missing all of last season(you know, a serious knee injury, that required surgery), doesn't even get half a season before we throw in the towel. Holy f*** is this place insufferable.
They're not even comparable situations.
Toews has years of NHL success under his belt, while Nylander has one year of maybe being a 3rd liner.

I was a fan of the deal because it seemed like a worthwhile gamble. It didn't work. Moving along then.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They're not even comparable situations.
Toews has years of NHL success under his belt, while Nylander has one year of maybe being a 3rd liner.

I was a fan of the deal because it seemed like a worthwhile gamble. It didn't work. Moving along then.

The one that should be given more slack, and more time to figure things out, isn't Toews. That's the point here. You can't say "oh, he took a year off, he needs some time to get back up to speed" and then trash Nylander less than 20 games back from a serious knee injury, surgery, and an entire season missed... There's just no f***ing logic behind it. Maybe Nylander is a total bust, but the time to decide that isn't RIGHT NOW... It's the same shit with Dach, and the constant criticism and people drawing conclusions about his ceiling. It's almost like, dealing with an injury, surgery, and extended time off, is difficult for young players to overcome 20 games into a season. Weird.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The one that should be given more slack, and more time to figure things out, isn't Toews. That's the point here. You can't say "oh, he took a year off, he needs some time to get back up to speed" and then trash Nylander less than 20 games back from a serious knee injury, surgery, and an entire season missed... There's just no f***ing logic behind it. Maybe Nylander is a total bust, but the time to decide that isn't RIGHT NOW... It's the same shit with Dach, and the constant criticism and people drawing conclusions about his ceiling. It's almost like, dealing with an injury, surgery, and extended time off, is difficult for young players to overcome 20 games into a season. Weird.
I'm much more willing to give that slack to Dach at the NHL level than Nylander at the AHL level.
You're not wrong about Toews, but Nylander hasn't scored anywhere since Juniors.

If Nylander wants to start putting up ~a ppg at the AHL level I'll reconsider

Last edited:
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Skilled, but I think most agree that he needs to be on your top 2 lines....yet, he doesn't seem to have the scorers mindset so then he becomes more of a better skating version of Strome--which kind of sucks for the Hawks. I would love to see Nylander heat up somewhere and deal him when his stock is higher.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
For all this talk about how bad he’s been… Nylander is leading the ice hogs in goals. Not awful for his first <20 games of competitive hockey in over a year after coming off a major knee surgery.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Joki for a young forward was the right idea at the time imo, especially since they had Boqvist and Mitchell coming up quickly, but Alex was the wrong return imo, Joki had shown way more at the NHL level than Alex did at the time and he had already spent a few years in Rochester with avg results

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Joki for a young forward was the right idea at the time imo, especially since they had Boqvist and Mitchell coming up quickly, but Alex was the wrong return imo, Joki had shown way more at the NHL level than Alex did at the time and he had already spent a few years in Rochester with avg results
Puljujarvi would have been the correct target.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad