Alex Newhook on the Avs

Will Newhook be on the Avs roster at the end of the season

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's played like 3 games in how many months? At the end of last year he looked pretty good. Just as good as any of the other guys in his draft. Be interesting to see what steps he takes this year.

I think you have to see him play some more to see if he's actually ready. Feels like any other answer is just a hot take based on what you want to happen.

That kind of only reinforces the point that he's not ready.

If this was a normal year, and he would have had an entire year at BC + World Juniors under his belt.... Maybe he does enough to earn the Cale Makar contract and comes in late in the regular season or in the playoffs as a depth piece.

But it isn't a normal year and like you said yourself, he's hardly played any hockey this year and even after the World Juniors, he's not going to play much college hockey either.

I could see the AHL route for him as Cousin Eddie suggested earlier, that way he can keep getting as much game action in as possible and if he does extremely well, maybe he gets into the NHL.

Reactions: klozge

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They did it with Makar, but it's impossible to tell how ready Newhook is. He'd probably have to be a fair bit better than the competition to earn a spot and since they have added Saad and it's possible some role player will earn a spot (Kaut, Bowers as a long shot) over him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If Newhook isn't ready at the end of two NCAA seasons for even bottom six winger duties, we'll have much bigger problems than burning a year of his ELC or not.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Newhook's role and linemates keep getting shifted around too. He started off on a line that Tourigny called his shutdown line, then he got shifted to Cozens line and scored two goals, but seems to have been shifted to another shutdown line with Krebs and Perfetti.

Hard to judge players at the WJC when they don't play the role they usually play.

Those zone entries for Newhook bode well for his ability to transition to the Avs though. That's what they want to see in their forwards, especially in top 6 roles.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Newhook's role and linemates keep getting shifted around too. He started off on a line that Tourigny called his shutdown line, then he got shifted to Cozens line and scored two goals, but seems to have been shifted to another shutdown line with Krebs and Perfetti.

Hard to judge players at the WJC when they don't play the role they usually play.

Those zone entries for Newhook bode well for his ability to transition to the Avs though. That's what they want to see in their forwards, especially in top 6 roles.

That line with Perfetti/Newhook/Krebs is going to be Canada’s second line. Each of those guys can really pass the puck. I’m looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I bet Avs management is absolutely thrilled with the way Byram and Newhook have been playing at this tournament so far. I think its pretty clear two of the stats they value the most in the analytical world right now is controlled zone exits and zone entries, and those two guys are doing quite excellent at both.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Rather play Sheldon Dries tbh

Looks like you caught one :popcorn:

Dries will never make this team.

lloNPdDYtqOxCrTKZGRPDvHvtMt_q-pAQ6Bwfn7NSq5MQLVcN5ludBPRgXDzGbHyDV5B0txVNrUIThcjNtRhVE7pFcKQfK_B4-PZZ4xt9he38DUAjtm_

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Newhook looks like he can play in the NHL. Maybe he'll be on the taxi squad?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don’t see it for the same reason they didn’t give Byram a game in the bubble. They’re gunning for a cup and injecting a green rookie isn’t going to happen unless there’s significant injuries.

If you’re not named Makar you probably have to wait for the beginning of the regular season to get NHL games.

That said putting him on the taxi squad for the experience and practices might not be a bad idea. Seemed to do a lot of good for Byram.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The contract might hold him back. I agree with some others that having MacKinnon, Byram, and Newhook up for contracts in the same year could be problematic.

I think he’d give the Avs a boost after he finishes his season at BC though. His ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and his overall play at centre would be an upgrade over Compher.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think you’re all crazy if you don’t have Byram pencilled into your everyday lineup by the beginning of February.

Also, based on Bednar’s recent comments it looks like Toews is playing with Makar. So my assumption is that Girard/EJ stays a thing while Cole and Graves fight over who gets to be Byram’s partner by the time he settles in.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think you’re all crazy if you don’t have Byram pencilled into your everyday lineup by the beginning of February.

Also, based on Bednar’s recent comments it looks like Toews is playing with Makar. So my assumption is that Girard/EJ stays a thing while Cole and Graves fight over who gets to be Byram’s partner by the time he settles in.

I could get on board with this:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - Graves

Reactions: AvsFan29

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Even if Toews proves he isn’t the best top pairing guy he should realistically be a great fit next to EJ and we can theoretically fulfill my(and many others) dream of playing Girard and Makar together.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Byram is most certainly not being penciled into a spot over Cole and Graves....

Both guys will have the inside track on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad