Alex Newhook on the Avs

Will Newhook be on the Avs roster at the end of the season

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He just needs to be faster and smarter. Brett Hull lost almost all his speed in his latter years but he was so smart and knew how to find the quiet ice....also helped he was playing with brainiacs Datsyuk and Zetterberg aswell.
Same with Ovi. He’s nowhere near the physical force he was, but that man knows how to find the soft spots time and time again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Newhook looked to get a shoulder injury in the 1st period today. Tried to come back in the second but couldn't do it. Hopefully it's not too bad.

This is an important development year for him IMO, to gain some extra confidence heading into Colorado likely next season, or maybe even the end of the year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Newhook looked to get a shoulder injury in the 1st period today. Tried to come back in the second but couldn't do it. Hopefully it's not too bad.

This is an important development year for him IMO, to gain some extra confidence heading into Colorado likely next season, or maybe even the end of the year.

The fact that he came back is a good sign. He’s probably sitting due to precautionary reasons. Canada is steamrolling Finland and there’s no reason to risk further injury

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The fact that he came back is a good sign. He’s probably sitting due to precautionary reasons. Canada is steamrolling Finland and there’s no reason to risk further injury

I don't know. He looked like he was in some pain there.

He left at the beginning of the 2nd when it was 1-0 too.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hope he’s ok or else this is just a complete disaster. Leaves BC just as they’re about to finally play games. Goes to Red Deer where he isolates and skates alone for 14 days. Finally he’s ready to join the main group but then they have to isolate for 14 days. Then he practices for like 5 days, drives 2 hours to Edmonton where he quarantined for another week until this tournament starts and in all honesty really doesn’t play very well (relative to what he’s capable of) and gets hurt.

Reactions: Balthazar

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020

I don't think they always have a full prognosis on injuries when they happen. A couple of recent examples from the last Avs season, Kadri tries to skate after an ankle injury in the regular season, he goes right back to the bench, and he's out for a few weeks. And Landeskog tried to skate after his injury against Dallas in the bubble. Granted that was a more desperate situation but it turns out he would have missed significant time if the Avs went on. Hope Newhook is okay and can come back in the tournament.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Hope he’s ok or else this is just a complete disaster. Leaves BC just as they’re about to finally play games. Goes to Red Deer where he isolates and skates alone for 14 days. Finally he’s ready to join the main group but then they have to isolate for 14 days. Then he practices for like 5 days, drives 2 hours to Edmonton where he quarantined for another week until this tournament starts and in all honesty really doesn’t play very well (relative to what he’s capable of) and gets hurt.
He’s played fine. His linemates can’t pass for shit. Everything he did, he had to generate on his own

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He’s played fine. His linemates can’t pass for shit. Everything he did, he had to generate on his own
He played very differently than he usually does. His overall impact on the game was great. He was the best defensive forward on the ice and I don’t think anyone else was remotely close. However the focus on defense was very evident in the way he played. Newhook has been a force because of how well he causes turnovers on the forecheck for as long as I can remember. He chases defenders to the corners and behind the net, wins battles and creates offense from it. In this tournament though he rarely went below the hash marks. I understand why. The #1 shutdown centre should play high to make sure he doesn’t get caught. But it just completely takes away how he tends to create offense.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020

Comforting the "day to day" designation is coming from Team Canada instead of the Avs I guess.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he’ll be ready to play on the Avs by playoff time, but I doubt they’ll burn an ELC year for both Byram and Newhook this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If Newhook is going to help them win, they should play him. To hell with the cap in the future, the Avs need to go all in and if burning a year gets the job done it will all be worth it.

Reactions: LTC Pain

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
What's the current analysis on Newhook? I know he dominated in college but how does he look on the NHL level?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
What's the current analysis on Newhook? I know he dominated in college but how does he look on the NHL level?

Difficult to assess, he looked good for the most part during the WJC, though his play was definitely affected by the shoulder injury he picked up. A lot of things to like, kid always has his feet moving, aggressive on the forecheck and really diligent with his defensive assignments. At times it almost seemed like he was looking to defer to his teammates, and that might be some unfamiliarity there.

Hopefully he recovers well from his shoulder injury, and puts together another good NCAA season. At this point he just needs to continue to develop and build on his momentum. His style of play and his strengths will fit in really well with the Avs current system and players.

SD Avs Fan

Jul 1, 2019
I just got a t-shirt with Newhook and the number of my choosing on the back. I chose 18. Was that a mistake or is that his likely number.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I just got a t-shirt with Newhook and the number of my choosing on the back. I chose 18. Was that a mistake or is that his likely number.

He wore 18 in Victoria as well but he was 15 on Team Canada. I would bet on him being 18 on the Avs but I would have waited.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Has he missed his ncaa season with injury? I was trying to check up on his stats and it only showed one game played. Maybe it was incorrect?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->