Speculation: Alex Newhook NHL arrival? (read OP)

when will Alex Newhook be NHL ready

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It will be interesting to see what the Avs and Newhook do.

I originally thought he might sign after his college season this year ala Makar, but he looked like he needed to bulk up for the NHL to me when he was at the WJC. He looked very much like a junior player physically to me, and he doesn't play a style that avoids contact.

So then I started leaning towards next season for him to start. But if the Avs keep getting injuries to forwards, and are having trouble scoring, they may just give him a shot. Who knows? Seems like it's probably a close decision for the Avs.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I'm honestly past Kaut and Bowers at this point. If we are choosing to play plugs like Megna over giving Bowers/Kaut time that's all you really need to know about the organizations thoughts on those two.

I know Kaut is injured but Bowers isn't and can't get a shot over Megna, not a good sign.

I think the ship might of sailed on those two.

Kovalenko from KHL, his nick name is Tank. We need to wait for him, he might be able to fit in our lineup. Might be better the Bowers or Kaut.

Tiger Wixxen used to like him a lot.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
I'm not sold he just goes the AHL route.

1. Why would he? He holds the control the Avs don't. He could easily say, NHL or I don't sign. Top end collegiate draft picks aren't looking to jump to the AHL, he'd probably rather stay at BC if they want him to play in the AHL and honestly the level of play isn't much different. Might have to appease him to convince him to sign.

2. If we continue this inability to score, which there appears to be no end in sight, I could see Sakic pushing him into the lineup as a cheap/free way to potentially add some scoring. Put him on a wing, some PP2 time. The player that played at the World juniors, would be an instant upgrade to Jost, Compher, Donkey etc.
Since the Avalanche follow the Columbus model, they could go the Werenski route and give him a jump start for the next season by bringing him in for an AHL playoff run.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not sold he just goes the AHL route.

1. Why would he? He holds the control the Avs don't. He could easily say, NHL or I don't sign. Top end collegiate draft picks aren't looking to jump to the AHL, he'd probably rather stay at BC if they want him to play in the AHL and honestly the level of play isn't much different. Might have to appease him to convince him to sign.

2. If we continue this inability to score, which there appears to be no end in sight, I could see Sakic pushing him into the lineup as a cheap/free way to potentially add some scoring. Put him on a wing, some PP2 time. The player that played at the World juniors, would be an instant upgrade to Jost, Compher, Donkey etc.
I have always felt like it matters how aggressive the Avs are in what they are offering Newhook. He kinda says it in there and I’ve heard similar wording in at least 2 other recent interviews as well. Maybe he’s holding the cards close to the vest but if the Avs are only promising AHL time right now why should he leave? He’s buddies with Bowers, he’s seen how that’s worked out. Yes he’s much more dynamic than Bowers but he was also a first round pick Canada WJC player who left after his sophomore year. I wonder if what Boldy and Knight decide sways things in either direction too. Newhook was going to need a Hobey candidate type year for the Avs to fall all over him and offer him the Makar golden ticket. They’ll prob offer the standard line of you’ll get a shot in camp and it wouldn’t be out of question for him to not jump at that. His sister is going to start with the BC women’s program next year too. I think there’s a ton of factors that could go either way here.

Yes I still like Kovy a lot but it’s not an either or thing with Newhook. He’s pretty much going to come over now or sign a multi-year extension in the KHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think the Avs are going to be making any more deals about NHL time for NCAA players after Jost. That was probably the only time they did it based on their history and in hindsight he should have been brought along more slowly.

There should be no concern about Newhook starting in the AHL.

Anaheim is a rebuilding team among the worst in the league but that didn't stop them from starting Zegras in the AHL, even though Zegras is a more promising prospect, and was taken higher than Newhook in the same draft.

If Newhook starts in the AHL next year, he'll get his chance pretty soon if he's playing well. He's not a guy they'll keep a full year in the minors if he's playing well. They'll need his offense.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don't think the Avs are going to be making any more deals about NHL time for NCAA players after Jost. That was probably the only time they did it based on their history and in hindsight he should have been brought along more slowly.

There should be no concern about Newhook starting in the AHL.

Anaheim is a rebuilding team among the worst in the league but that didn't stop them from starting Zegras in the AHL, even though Zegras is a more promising prospect, and was taken higher than Newhook in the same draft.

If Newhook starts in the AHL next year, he'll get his chance pretty soon if he's playing well. He's not a guy they'll keep a full year in the minors if he's playing well. They'll need his offense.

That was a truism for a while but I think many would find this questionable now. Was staying in college an extra year going to prevent him from routinely being chased down and having the puck taken away? Was being in college going to make him a better skater?

When you look at why Jost struggles, it's seriously questionable whether that extra year would have mattered even a little.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It was mentioned earlier, but the impact of his sister joining the BC program next year is about as significant as it can get. He really, really wants to spend one normal year playing hockey at a college level while his sister does the same thing with him.

Unless the Avs floor him with an offer of essentially a guaranteed NHL gig, he's heading back to college for a 3rd year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Newhook likely injuries slowed his development. Doubt he leaves early to play in the AHL vs stay in school and spend time with his sister. Bowers left early and still stuck in the AHL, never playing an NHL game. I expect him to remain school another year and transition slowly after a stint in the AHL before join8ng the team.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Probably stays for another year in the NCAA. However, that would also mean Newhook could decide to stay there for his D+4 year and pick basically any NHL team. Unlikely, but possible.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That was a truism for a while but I think many would find this questionable now. Was staying in college an extra year going to prevent him from routinely being chased down and having the puck taken away? Was being in college going to make him a better skater?

When you look at why Jost struggles, it's seriously questionable whether that extra year would have mattered even a little.

Oh I've argued the same thing. That staying in college wouldn't have improved his acceleration, or helped him fit better into Bednar's up tempo system.

But I think we can safely say that all things being equal, especially with the benefit of hindsight, that the right move would have been to give him a little more AHL seasoning that first year, since he wasn't really playing at an impactful level.

I think they'll want to keep that option open for Newhook. I have a feeling they made a deal with Jost to give him NHL time so he'd sign, which is a rarity for them. Lots of teams do this but the Avs usually don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad