Speculation: Alex Newhook NHL arrival? (read OP)

when will Alex Newhook be NHL ready

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
with NHL 21 out, I thought it would be fun/interesting to try and add some high caliber player that are not accessible in the game (KHL and NCAA).

I figured the best way to gage the overall of these players would be to ask the fans that (insert player) plays for.

will post results in the EA sport thread

Please answer honestly​

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
with NHL 21 out, I thought it would be fun/interesting to try and add some high caliber player that are not accessible in the game (KHL and NCAA).

I figured the best way to gage the overall of these players would be to ask the fans that (insert player) plays for.

will post results in the EA sport thread

Please answer honestly​
If Newhook has another strong season this sophomore year I think he turns pro.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Am I right to assume that Newhook can play 9 games this year without burning a year of his ELC? Or is it another Makar situation where even one playoff game burns a year?

Either way Sakic probably won't want Newhook's ELC to expire in the same year as Mackinnon.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think he needs one more year ideally. He could probably play now and do fine but I think another year of refining his all-around game would make him a better player in the long run

Reactions: Spirits

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Am I right to assume that Newhook can play 9 games this year without burning a year of his ELC? Or is it another Makar situation where even one playoff game burns a year?

Either way Sakic probably won't want Newhook's ELC to expire in the same year as Mackinnon.
If he is going to play any NCAA games I’m pretty sure he can’t play any NHL games, do any training camps or development camps. So I assume he will go back to school this year and play at the end of his season or start of next season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly it's hard to say with what the world is going through right now.

Under normal circumstances I would expect him to sign his NHL entry level deal in March, and follow a very similar path that Makar took. Getting a few games in, in March/April to burn an ELC year before being a full time NHLer for the 21/22 season.

But with so much uncertainty about the NCAA season, AHL seasons, etc. etc. Who really knows what will happen. It would not surprise me if he goes to the WJC in December and plays Well, for him to end up just signing his ELC right after that and be finished with the college season. From there he could join the NHL roster or he could go into the AHL(Assuming we get an AHL season). I would even suggest he maybe goes over sea to play in Europe for the rest of the year.

Really just impossible to say what he's gonna do.

Reactions: MarkT

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Makar’s ELC was burned the second he signed it. The XD eligibility came after he played one game.

A very relevant rule in the timing of ELCs is if they are signed in the calendar year a player turns 20 it is ineligible to slide. Therefore Newhook with a Jan 2001 birthday is not going to have a slidable contract unless he signs prior to Dec 31.

Players however can sign an ELC anytime after March 1 to begin the following season (say 2021-22). But often high end NCAA prospects get the current year burned off by signing for the current season as a means of leverage in the negotiation. If the Avs hadn’t made the playoffs in 18-19 and had no season left for Makar to burn a year for his contract would have started in 19-20.

Anyone who probably is looking at one year to pro like Ranta and Newhook I would have preferred them playing games somewhere else now but if they can get in a 20-25 game NCAA schedule then sign and probably play in what’s left of the AHL at that point could be fine. I doubt they’d use Newhook in the playoffs but you never know, that’s possible too. Newhook could sign for ELC start 21-22 and then AHL try-out agreement but he prob will have the leverage to ask for a burned year right off the bat if his current trajectory continues.

I don’t really see him going back for the junior year but it would cut down more of the AHL possibility so that’s up to him.

TL;DR, Newhook will be too old for his contract to slide when he signs.

Reactions: Richard88 and MarkT

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Avs top prospect Alex Newhook on his brief rugby career, Boston College and what comes next: Q&A

Newhook will have a couple of options after the college season. He can either remain at Boston College for another year or he can turn pro. If he chooses the latter, he’ll likely report to the Colorado Eagles, the Avalanche’s AHL affiliate. But Newhook could get called up to the Avalanche for the team’s stretch run this season, though that would burn the first year of his entry-level contract, which the club would likely want to avoid unless he seems ready to contribute.

What do you envision is your timeline for going pro?

I don’t really have a set timeline. For me, it’s just to play out the season, focus on where I’m at. And when the time comes, re-evaluate and see what the options are to make that jump. I’m in no rush to leave BC. I’ll leave when the time is right, but no real rush to get out of here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think he'll be with the Avs next season, but unlike Byram I don't have any problems with him staying in college for another year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This year has not gone as planned but I expect to see him playing for the Eagles very soon.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think he signs but probably won’t make his NHL debut. I’m guessing they take the AHL PTO route if anything. The injury really made things murky unfortunately.

Always with Avs and their prospects theres injuries.
I'm not sold he just goes the AHL route.

1. Why would he? He holds the control the Avs don't. He could easily say, NHL or I don't sign. Top end collegiate draft picks aren't looking to jump to the AHL, he'd probably rather stay at BC if they want him to play in the AHL and honestly the level of play isn't much different. Might have to appease him to convince him to sign.

2. If we continue this inability to score, which there appears to be no end in sight, I could see Sakic pushing him into the lineup as a cheap/free way to potentially add some scoring. Put him on a wing, some PP2 time. The player that played at the World juniors, would be an instant upgrade to Jost, Compher, Donkey etc.

Reactions: Pokecheque

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I’ll say this, if Newhook makes his NHL debut before Bowers, Bowers will never make it to the Avs.
I'm honestly past Kaut and Bowers at this point. If we are choosing to play plugs like Megna over giving Bowers/Kaut time that's all you really need to know about the organizations thoughts on those two.

I know Kaut is injured but Bowers isn't and can't get a shot over Megna, not a good sign.

I think the ship might of sailed on those two.

Reactions: Spirits

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Of course but Jesus Christ what more needs to be done before they’ll even try the guy, even as a friggin’ depth winger?
I mean my guess is they’re doing everything they can to make this guy a C at the pro level because we need it bad. Whether it’s for 3C or the Belly replacement we need a C bad and Bowers is our only shot for a bottom 6 one. Well I guess Newhook could be but he’s obviously the plan for 2C.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Ultimately it’s up to Newhook.

I’d be surprised if the Avs aren’t suggesting he turn pro next year.

It was a shortened season of development for him, but I don’t see a lot for him to gain by going back to BC.

Sign him, get him into some games with the Avs next year and if he’s having a hard time he can continue his development in the AHL.

Reactions: Barklez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->