Alex Meruelo the new owner of the Arizona Coyotes

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Was hoping for a Quebec relocation ultimately even though it was unlikely. Now it's just impossible. It'll need to be an expansion and who knows how long that will be since Seattle just took the 32nd spot.

Is there a clause saying the team has to remain in Arizona permanently?

With the arena still being a major issue? I doubt it. Eh i still doubt the NHL will go beyond 32 nvm the price of it would be not feasible for any other market. Even if by chance coyotes still can't get an arena done and the team moves, the league won't unbalance the league again.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Well....... to aleeve some of the afore mentioned drama with what we actually know.

Meruelo has an established history of aquiring assets that can be turned around and hangs on to them.

He isn't afraid to drop additional funds into newly acquired assets (as evidenced by the Coyotes current cap hit).
He has connections in the gaming industry.
He has a media group.
He has his own construction/real estate group.

And "public/private partnerships" can mean a lot of things. ;)

AND..... there is zero evidence of the existence or NON-existence of a "no move" agreement (but as I said previously.... You Tin Foil Hat May Vary).
I don’t doubt that Meruelo has a history of acquiring assets and then turns them around and hangs onto them. There is nothing contradictory in taking this team and going door to door trying to find a public partner. If that fails, then the speculation is that he would be allowed to move the team to a suitable market of his choosing.(It has been stated elsewhere that the league needs Meruelo more that he needs them and would likely have been willing to negotiate terms of ownership with him.) That is the acquire asset and hang onto it as he turns it around part. The continued storyline that GRA is not acceptable( seems many local fans subscribe to that) tends to support the idea that it is new arena or bust.
Of course he could put a damper on that speculation by extending the GRA lease for say a minimum of 3 years, giving him time to negotiate and begin construction on the new building. But why bother to do that, other than giving peace of mind to some of the local fan base, he can continue to operate on a day to day basis without committing to anything long term. I guess we will just have to wait on that announcement.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well....... to aleeve some of the afore mentioned drama with what we actually know.

Meruelo has an established history of aquiring assets that can be turned around and hangs on to them.

He isn't afraid to drop additional funds into newly acquired assets (as evidenced by the Coyotes current cap hit).
He has connections in the gaming industry.
He has a media group.
He has his own construction/real estate group.

And "public/private partnerships" can mean a lot of things. ;)

AND..... there is zero evidence of the existence or NON-existence of a "no move" agreement (but as I said previously.... You Tin Foil Hat May Vary).

I think people will be surprised what happens when the Coyotes are winning.

Reactions: Name Nameless

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t doubt that Meruelo has a history of acquiring assets and then turns them around and hangs onto them. There is nothing contradictory in taking this team and going door to door trying to find a public partner. If that fails, then the speculation is that he would be allowed to move the team to a suitable market of his choosing.(It has been stated elsewhere that the league needs Meruelo more that he needs them and would likely have been willing to negotiate terms of ownership with him.) That is the acquire asset and hang onto it as he turns it around part. The continued storyline that GRA is not acceptable( seems many local fans subscribe to that) tends to support the idea that it is new arena or bust.
Of course he could put a damper on that speculation by extending the GRA lease for say a minimum of 3 years, giving him time to negotiate and begin construction on the new building. But why bother to do that, other than giving peace of mind to some of the local fan base, he can continue to operate on a day to day basis without committing to anything long term. I guess we will just have to wait on that announcement.

I don't think the league would give him free reign to move the team where ever he wants.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't think the league would give him free reign to move the team where ever he wants.

Right? Any other owner could have come in and swept the team to another market by now if the league was looking to relocate them. Not happening. Can't people put the relocation talk on hold and just appreciate the fact someone with deep pockets has finally invested in this team?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Right? Any other owner could have come in and swept the team to another market by now if the league was looking to relocate them. Not happening. Can't people put the relocation talk on hold and just appreciate the fact someone with deep pockets has finally invested in this team?

Yep. Happy for the franchise to have stable ownership finally. Hopefully that'll lead to a new arena somewhere in the market.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Was hoping for a Quebec relocation ultimately even though it was unlikely. Now it's just impossible. It'll need to be an expansion and who knows how long that will be since Seattle just took the 32nd spot.

Is there a clause saying the team has to remain in Arizona permanently?
Are you going to be okay? This must be hitting you hard?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Of course he could put a damper on that speculation by extending the GRA lease for say a minimum of 3 years, giving him time to negotiate and begin construction on the new building. But why bother to do that, other than giving peace of mind to some of the local fan base,

Why bother to do that? Because this is the same fan base (and more) that he's trying to sell tickets to. I would think that extending the lease for 3 years would be the least expensive way to advertise that the Coyotes are here to stay. Surely giving the fans some peace of mind (id est: franchise stability) would be the first and biggest priority of the new owner.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Also curious why Bettman sidestepped the question of the 7 year non-relocation clause.

To quote:

"Although the franchise couldn't leave Arizona anytime soon due to NHL rules prohibiting new owners from immediately applying for relocation, Bettman pointedly didn't rule out the long-term possibility.

"I'd rather not go there, because I'm not going to issue threats," Bettman said. "(Meruelo) has told us, including in his interview with the executive committee, that he very much likes Arizona. He wants to make it work there, and he's going to try very hard for that to be the case. Obviously, the club is not viable long-term in Glendale, but hopefully we don't get to that point."

Bettman says Meruelo shares the NHL's belief that the Coyotes must have a new, centrally located arena to replace the 15-year-old building in suburban Glendale currently known as Gila River Arena."

Source: www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2019/06/19/bettman-nhl-board-approves-coyotes-sale-new-arena-needed/39603805/

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

I do appreciate that the Coyotes have finally got a stable owner with deep pockets. But the relocation talk will never go away until the team is selling out most of its games and/or turning a profit -- and many posters here have calculated and pontificated ad nauseum that the latter is fiscally impossible.

Reactions: Llama19

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
I did not mean to suggest that he can just up and move with no further compensation to the league. What I think might have happened is that there is already an agreement between Meruelo and the league as to what steps he has to take to establish a reasonable effort to remain in the market. Based on the continuing dialogue it seems that the league will have no problem with him moving the team, if GRA is the only option. GB has already cleared the runway on that by saying that the team will not remain at GRA long term. It seems to come back to someone building another arena in the Phoenix area. If Meruelo were to take on the majority of the expense to build a new arena, he would be entering into a very risky investment. Not only a third major arena in the city but also there is no guarantee that the team’s finances would turn around...especially if they don’t become a winner. That would leave Meruelo in a very precarious situation, owning an arena that depends on a team that is a large financial drain and having to compete with 2 large facilities..one of which is currently on schedule to be completely refitted.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I did not mean to suggest that he can just up and move with no further compensation to the league. What I think might have happened is that there is already an agreement between Meruelo and the league as to what steps he has to take to establish a reasonable effort to remain in the market. Based on the continuing dialogue it seems that the league will have no problem with him moving the team, if GRA is the only option. GB has already cleared the runway on that by saying that the team will not remain at GRA long term. It seems to come back to someone building another arena in the Phoenix area. If Meruelo were to take on the majority of the expense to build a new arena, he would be entering into a very risky investment. Not only a third major arena in the city but also there is no guarantee that the team’s finances would turn around...especially if they don’t become a winner. That would leave Meruelo in a very precarious situation, owning an arena that depends on a team that is a large financial drain and having to compete with 2 large facilities..one of which is currently on schedule to be completely refitted.

My point was he can't just pick some market out there (let say quebec for example) and say look i tried it didn't work out so i am moving to the team to quebec. The NHL probably would reject that idea give it creates a 15/17 issue or a traveling nightmare if they remain in central division. The NHL may have other plans for that franchise if it still doesn't work out under Meruelo including putting it in a different market where it would keep the league balanced and/or keep it within the approved 32 alignment setup once Seattle joins.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
To quote:

"Although the franchise couldn't leave Arizona anytime soon due to NHL rules prohibiting new owners from immediately applying for relocation, Bettman pointedly didn't rule out the long-term possibility.

"I'd rather not go there, because I'm not going to issue threats," Bettman said. "(Meruelo) has told us, including in his interview with the executive committee, that he very much likes Arizona. He wants to make it work there, and he's going to try very hard for that to be the case. Obviously, the club is not viable long-term in Glendale, but hopefully we don't get to that point."

Bettman says Meruelo shares the NHL's belief that the Coyotes must have a new, centrally located arena to replace the 15-year-old building in suburban Glendale currently known as Gila River Arena."

Source: www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2019/06/19/bettman-nhl-board-approves-coyotes-sale-new-arena-needed/39603805/

Nothing new there. That's a typical Bettman non-answer answer.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I do appreciate that the Coyotes have finally got a stable owner with deep pockets. But the relocation talk will never go away until the team is selling out most of its games and/or turning a profit -- and many posters here have calculated and pontificated ad nauseum that the latter is fiscally impossible.

I would submit that the relocation talk will never go away no matter what the Coyotes do.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Let see what Meruelo can do regarding the arena issue before bringing up the whole relocation issue again. The team has the $$$ in order to afford it assuming its all private.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I do appreciate that the Coyotes have finally got a stable owner with deep pockets. But the relocation talk will never go away.

FTFY.

As for the calculations of those here about the potential for profit earning in Arizona, it's nice that people have a hobby, but I would respectfully submit that nobody around here (including me) has the slightest idea about whether this team could turn a profit, given more favorable conditions than the absolute bottom-of-the-crapper ones they've endured in the span that they have called Arizona home.

The old cliche is that, "Some people just want to watch the world burn." Around here, the corollary is, "Some people's fondest dream is for the Arizona Coyotes to relocate... it doesn't matter where." And for some, it's not even jealousy, like that of the Nordiques' fans - it's a simple, all-encompassing obsession with wishing failure on this franchise and the market. Schadenfreude on steroids. What place that has on a hockey forum, I don't know, but I'll leave it to the mods to make that determination. A lack of character, apparently, is not always grounds for discipline.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Why bother to do that? Because this is the same fan base (and more) that he's trying to sell tickets to. I would think that extending the lease for 3 years would be the least expensive way to advertise that the Coyotes are here to stay. Surely giving the fans some peace of mind (id est: franchise stability) would by the first and biggest priority of the new owner.
I agree with you. I was just speculating on what the response to my suggesting a multi-year extension to the GRA lease would be. I have suggested in the past that it would be good PR for the team to do that. But because previous ownership had never accomplished an extension I was scolded by Coyote fans that the extension isn’t necessary. This is the honeymoon stage of ownership for the fan base. Meruelo can do no wrong and is the answer to their prayers. Let’s see where things sit 6 months from now.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
In theory, a stable rich owner and new arena, accompanied by a period of success and "demonstrated local hip-ness and support" a la Nashville or Tampa, would stem the relo talk.

After 10 years of wobbling, the first domino in all of that might have just fallen. So while we will undoubtedly get the usual suspects in here until all of those dominoes have fallen, those suspects will have to continue to duck the question "how has it been to spend the last 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 etc. years of your life waiting for this thing that will quite likely never happen? All the while somewhat crapping on the people who hope it doesn't?"

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I agree with you. I was just speculating on what the response to my suggesting a multi-year extension to the GRA lease would be. I have suggested in the past that it would be good PR for the team to do that. But because previous ownership had never accomplished an extension I was scolded by Coyote fans that the extension isn’t necessary. This is the honeymoon stage of ownership for the fan base. Meruelo can do no wrong and is the answer to their prayers. Let’s see where things sit 6 months from now.

So, how has it been to spend the last 10 years of your life waiting for this thing that will quite likely never happen? All the while somewhat crapping on the people who hope it doesn't?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
As for the uniform, we all want the Kachina back. I love the black Kachina uniform personally, but I'd also love to see something local, like maybe a copper-colored sweater with some turquoise and black accents.

That would be great if that happened TFP. I also agree with you on point number 2 (Appeal to local flavor) that you made in post #749 on page 30 of the old thread (Phoenix CXXXVII - and the band plays on) which is locked now. The original uniforms were great and really reflected the character of Arizona. The current ones are definitely dull by comparison. As you stated, they shouldn't be trying to target the team towards Canada. This needs to be seen as Arizona's team with a local flavor.

One of the first things they should do is remove the Ring of Honor that includes any reference to the Winnipeg Jets and that part of the team's history. It is always a reminder that it was someone else's team with an unimpressive record in the NHL. It should be made to look like the history of the Coyotes began in 1996 regardless of how the NHL keeps its records. The fans there don't need a reminder that they inherited a failed franchise. It would be more beneficial to separate themselves from that aspect of things.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Meruelo can do with this franchise to make it a success in the desert. Hopefully they'll bring back the Kachina uniforms and that the arena issue will be resolved to the satisfaction of the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad