Alex Meruelo the new owner of the Arizona Coyotes

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ah yes the good ol "he has the money so he is going to stupidly spend it to prop up a distressed asset because of.......reasons". Meruelo based on his history bought distressed assets, pumped some money into them, then for the most part, sold them for a greater ROI. The problem here is that the money that is needed to get this asset into the black is much more than any type of profit he could make later on. And even IF he could be made whole, or get a profit, the NHL doesn't make enough money annually to have that happen so it would have to be through a sale. That's one hell of a long timeline unless it's to sell quickly and as we've seen, owners willing to shell out cash for this team isn't happening.

Even with Meruelo isn't current speculation/rumor that he didn't actually put in any cash but rather just took on the debt?

This is the exact same thing as the Hurricanes. We were all told that Dundon was the savior and he was going to pump in money and be there for the long haul and whatnot. Now we're starting to hear whispers that Karmanos can opt out (under what circumstances we don't know), and that in that situation too, it's questionable how much money he actually put in.

You seem to be implying Meruelo's an asset flipper when he really isn't.

I said he was in a better position to handle a recession. Moyes was into transportation (Swift Trucking and Aviation) and Ellman was strictly a developer. Meruelo has a more diversified asset portfolio (hotel/gaming, radio/media, construction, etc.), not to mention more resources than the other two. Plus he doesn't look at the Coyotes as a means to an end like they did.

Sorry for picking on you TL......Quebec City would be a decent market. Nothing spectacular but not terrible either especially in the current economic landscape of the NHL. Having said that, I remember listening to Gord Miller on the radio once say something to the extent of "So long as PKP is involved in the situation, the NHL won't go there". So how much of it has to do with Jacobs and his stupidities or PKP and his stupidities? I don't know. But I don't think it's as simple as "pay up or shut up". Especially if you look at the political landscape in Quebec over the past couple of years and what's coming in the near future, there is no way in hell the NHL wants to potentially get involved in that because unlike the Canadiens in Montreal, it would be right on their front steps as it all stems from Quebec City.

Nyah... I never feel picked on here. I was aware of the politics around PKP and such. Money though tends to get through all that and Jacobs is also pulling back from it all.

I would think (from the NHL's point of view) that Quebec City is looked at as a small market in that wouldn't make a great impact on the league's bottom line for the long term. I don't agree with that, but that's where it seems to be.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Quebec City was a viable market when the Canadian dollar was at par. But extremely hard to justify a franchise there for $850m CAD. It isn't just PKP money, it is Quebecor, which is a publicly traded company.

But anyways, this is the Coyotes thread.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sorry for picking on you TL......Quebec City would be a decent market. Nothing spectacular but not terrible either especially in the current economic landscape of the NHL. Having said that, I remember listening to Gord Miller on the radio once say something to the extent of "So long as PKP is involved in the situation, the NHL won't go there". So how much of it has to do with Jacobs and his stupidities or PKP and his stupidities? I don't know. But I don't think it's as simple as "pay up or shut up". Especially if you look at the political landscape in Quebec over the past couple of years and what's coming in the near future, there is no way in hell the NHL wants to potentially get involved in that because unlike the Canadiens in Montreal, it would be right on their front steps as it all stems from Quebec City.

Why is the NHL so anti PKP? I mean, his company owns the management rights to the Videotron Center so kind of hard not to include him any team. Also the most notable person who's had interest in bringing a team back to QC.

& Habs coexisted with the Nords for 15 or so years. They would be just fine and will still thrive.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Why is the NHL so anti PKP? I mean, his company owns the management rights to the Videotron Center so kind of hard not to include him any team. Also the most notable person who's had interest in bringing a team back to QC.

& Habs coexisted with the Nords for 15 or so years. They would be just fine and will still thrive.

Anti-PKP, if it exists, could be associated with politics. We don't like to do that discussion much here, because it often devolves into accusation and innuendo which are not factual, and even those of us who are not mods appreciate a factual, business-like board....

One thing which PKP has been involved in in years past was Quebec independence. That is clearly a very hot topic. But, one aspect of it, if it were to happen, is that it would create many customs and immigration headaches for the league, since it would then span 3 nations, and getting into and out of QC and Montreal with 2 teams and equipment would be more difficult than present. That mere fact in itself would be cause for pause.

That said, however, I think the real issue that NHL has with QC has to do with.....It's not a place which makes the rest of the owners any increase in TV money. In other words, Rogers is not going to pay more for the right to broadcast, cable or stream the NHL in Canada if it includes a QC team than they are paying right now. And, for that reason, QC is not a place the league needs to go. It's place the league can go if it is necessary to relocate. But, it's not a market of need.

The expectation is that national US revenues will increase much more with Vegas and Seattle aboard than QC could have added, and that's perhaps the likely reason QC's bid was deferred.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For instance, Mexico City has a population of 20 million, and while a lot of people live in poverty there are still millions that could afford an NHL ticket. Could an NHL franchise work there?

Doubt it. Soccer reigns supreme.

If none of the other big 3 have gone there, I doubt the NHL will and I doubt it would work. Football, baseball and basketball are more popular than hockey.

Also another thing to consider is how the peso matches up against USD.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Anti-PKP, if it exists, could be associated with politics. We don't like to do that discussion much here, because it often devolves into accusation and innuendo which are not factual, and even those of us who are not mods appreciate a factual, business-like board....

One thing which PKP has been involved in in years past was Quebec independence. That is clearly a very hot topic. But, one aspect of it, if it were to happen, is that it would create many customs and immigration headaches for the league, since it would then span 3 nations, and getting into and out of QC and Montreal with 2 teams and equipment would be more difficult than present. That mere fact in itself would be cause for pause.

That said, however, I think the real issue that NHL has with QC has to do with.....It's not a place which makes the rest of the owners any increase in TV money. In other words, Rogers is not going to pay more for the right to broadcast, cable or stream the NHL in Canada if it includes a QC team than they are paying right now. And, for that reason, QC is not a place the league needs to go. It's place the league can go if it is necessary to relocate. But, it's not a market of need.

The expectation is that national US revenues will increase much more with Vegas and Seattle aboard than QC could have added, and that's perhaps the likely reason QC's bid was deferred.

Peledeau's separatist politics probably hurt his standing with a bunch of governors, other Canadian ones.

Not very helpful when your proposition of theNHL back to Quebec city is already dubious.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You’re about six months late to the party. :rolleyes:

I don't know the intent there, but his prior post - in the Lounge - is a classic. And on Christmas as well:

Cityswiper said:
3rd date Saturday. Made love. We didn't text each other until yestersay. I wished her a Happy Holidays at 6:34 p.m. No response yet. Time to move on? Or way too soon to draw any conclusions? She has a habit of taking a day or so to respond. As do I.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Possible location for a Coyotes arena?

Multi-billion-dollar Akimel 7 planned at Loops 101 and 202

Source: azbigmedia.com/real-estate/commercial-real-estate/multi-billion-dollar-akimel-7-planned-for-loops-101-and-202/

Updated 10 bold predictions: Me vs. Mrs. Rita’s

6. Alex Meruelo will find an arena solution on the east side
What I said in September: Wait, what? Well, my masters wanted bold predictions. Why not go big? Meruelo has the money, he has the real estate background, and he has the gaming background. That’s a good skill set when chasing the impossible dream.
How that’s looking now: No idea. There is a lot of rumors, but nothing substantial. By the way, if you’re wondering about Akimel 7, that proposed multi-billion-dollar next-generation sports and new media entertainment destination at Loops 101 and 202 in Scottsdale on the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community, the answer is no. The Coyotes are not affiliated with it. Nor do they intend to be.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Just a little more detail about that multi-billion-dollar Akimel 7 complex...

Tribal land in East Valley may finally see development. Here's what is envisioned

To quote:

"A portion of Akimel 7 is planned as a "sports district."

The development could include one or two professional sports stadiums, but Fordon and Colvin both declined to say which teams — if any — have approached them for discussions.

"We don't make those decisions; we can just offer what is available," Fordon said. "Our doors are open."

The Arizona Coyotes and the Arizona Diamondbacks have both expressed interest in new stadiums. The 101 and 202 interchange has been one location speculated that Diamondbacks baseball may be considering.

Phoenix Rising already has a temporary soccer stadium on the land and has discussed building a permanent structure at the 101 and 202 location.

"Why wouldn't they look out here?" Fordon said of local sports franchises. "If they do and there's a transaction that's feasible, then we think some of those sports groups could be a wonderful addition.""

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/scottsdale/2020/01/11/sports-and-entertainment-development-planned-loop-101-202/2828946001/

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The guy has been in charge less than a year. Pump the brakes man.

That wouldn’t be any fun. :naughty:

At this point the Coyotes don’t seem interested in this project, even though the location would be ideal for them.

The way this project is rolling out sounds too much like what Steve Ellman (with Jerry Moyes’ money) tried to do just a few short years ago.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
That wouldn’t be any fun. :naughty:

At this point the Coyotes don’t seem interested in this project, even though the location would be ideal for them.

The way this project is rolling out sounds too much like what Steve Ellman (with Jerry Moyes’ money) tried to do just a few short years ago.

So...according to CEO Cohen...the Coyotes are staying in Glendale for decades to come...good to know that Commissioner Bettman's 'the Coyotes must have a new, centrally located arena' was just a lot of hot air...

To quote:

"Has Meruelo been able to drive things forward at all yet in the search for a new arena, and do the Coyotes still have the same position on that front? Is that still the team’s position that they would want to find a new home?

“Look, there’s so many things that go into making a successful organization. I’ve been pretty consistent with what our core pillars are, and Alex is fully committed to these core pillars as well: And it’s winning hockey games, it’s building fans throughout the state, and that’s positively impacting the community. And with Alex Meruelo’s support for myself and John, we’re doing everything we can to enhance those pillars.

“Like I’ve said before, we could be playing on Main Street and Main — you could do geographic studies and say what’s the optimal location, what’s ground zero for the best location in terms of making it easy for the fans to come out to — and if we’re not winning games, we’re not building fans, we’re not engaging in the community, it all doesn’t matter.

“So for right now, that’s what we’re talking about and that’s where our focus is. And certainly, people should know that Alex and myself and John and our entire organization and staff, we’re doing everything we can to make us successful here for the very, very long term, and for decades to come.”"

Source: arizonasports.com/story/2218710/new-freeway-ownership-and-more-a-qa-with-coyotes-ceo-ahron-cohen/

Reactions: Fairview

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So...according to CEO Cohen...the Coyotes are staying in Glendale for decades to come...good to know that Commissioner Bettman's 'the Coyotes must have a new, centrally located arena' was just a lot of hot air...

To quote:

"Has Meruelo been able to drive things forward at all yet in the search for a new arena, and do the Coyotes still have the same position on that front? Is that still the team’s position that they would want to find a new home?

“Look, there’s so many things that go into making a successful organization. I’ve been pretty consistent with what our core pillars are, and Alex is fully committed to these core pillars as well: And it’s winning hockey games, it’s building fans throughout the state, and that’s positively impacting the community. And with Alex Meruelo’s support for myself and John, we’re doing everything we can to enhance those pillars.

“Like I’ve said before, we could be playing on Main Street and Main — you could do geographic studies and say what’s the optimal location, what’s ground zero for the best location in terms of making it easy for the fans to come out to — and if we’re not winning games, we’re not building fans, we’re not engaging in the community, it all doesn’t matter.

“So for right now, that’s what we’re talking about and that’s where our focus is. And certainly, people should know that Alex and myself and John and our entire organization and staff, we’re doing everything we can to make us successful here for the very, very long term, and for decades to come.”"

Source: arizonasports.com/story/2218710/new-freeway-ownership-and-more-a-qa-with-coyotes-ceo-ahron-cohen/

I realize there's been very little for you to use lately to futher that long beaten to death horse along, but let's try getting the message straight..... again.

The Coyotes aren't going to openly discuss their arena situation until when they are ready to. That's been the message since shortly after Barroway bought out the original IA partners and the quote above from this past week confirms that as much. Meruelo buying the franchise hasn't changed that position one bit.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

To quote:

Think you might have taken his quote out of context. Pretty sure he just meant the valley, as in the team staying in Arizona.

As like TheLegend said, the days of the IA press conferences are over. If and when the team has something to comment on about a new arena somewhere, they will. Per ESPN's nhl attendance data, last year the Coyotes finished the year with an average of 13,989 fans per game. So far this year, they are averaging 14,602 per game. Looks like a 4% bump over last year. I say that's moving in the right direction don't you?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like things may be finally getting stable with this team. That's good to see. Have to see how things go for them going forward as they move towards a possible new arena.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Podcast: Ahron Cohen

Ahron Cohen is the President and CEO of the Arizona Coyotes. Elliotte [Friedman] caught up with the 35-year-old at the Ivey Sports Leadership Conference at Western University’s Ivey Business School in London, Ont. Their wide-ranging conversation includes Cohen’s story and offers an inside look at the Coyotes — where they are, where they’re going and how they’re building a culture of winning on and off the ice.

Source (Audio - 39:03): podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/ahron-cohen/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->