Confirmed with Link: Alex Kovalev to sign 1 year deal with Florida Panthers

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I realize it probably will happen, but I'm not sure that it's technically "confirmed" yet....Fialkov is speaking based entirely on opinion/speculation.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I realize it probably will happen, but I'm not sure that it's technically "confirmed" yet....Fialkov is speaking based entirely on opinion/speculation.

As always. It's worse when other people pick up Fialkov's nonsense and starts tweeting it again.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The contract being a +35 one, I expect small/medium salary and a lot of bonus dollars to keep him motivated.

Guessing 3.5 caphit, 1.5 base salary and 2 as bonuses for reaching certain goal/assist/points totals and/or depending on how far the team goes.

Offdapost*

If true should be fun to see him play at Home against Montreal

CoolburnIsGone

It won't be that suprising if/when they do sign him. With the injuries we have, they need somebody. Don't know what happens when people start getting healthy though.
I think they plan on carrying 14 forwards regardless so 2 guys are gonna be in the press box depending on several factors (opponent, needs, injuries, performance, etc). With Kovalev signed, I counted 15 forwards so that just means 1 guy will need to go (Santorelli probably).

I dont expect Kovalev to be in the lineup every night regardless. At 39, he's gonna need some nights off. Then factor in that several guys (Skille, Upshall, Bergy, Kopecky, etc) play styles that tend to see them get nicked up so they could use some games off too to get healthy.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
If kovi signs, with Huby, kovi and Mueller, our shootouts just became exponentially better.

We can flip from 6-11 to 11-6 easily and gain 5 or 6 points....even 3 more points could mean 6th vs 9th in this sprint.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
If he is signed, I'm eager to see for how much and then what he can bring to the team. Obviously, he's not going to put up points like he did years ago and I don't expect him to play every game as he might be scratched like Jovo is occasionally. For his leadership qualities, that could really help some of our young players learn for the future.

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Also on twitter tonight, Garrioch said Panthers are nuts to sign Kovalev and bet GR a beer they will live to regret it.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

He's looked good; zero risk @SunGarrioch: If they had any brains they wouldn't sign Kovalev.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch

@GeorgeRichards Mark my words. Beer at the Quarterdeck.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Kovalev is going to have some bad games. No doubt about that. We're bringing him in to help with the PP and shootout. We have to take cheap risks.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
And Stan fisher, perhaps the most respected hockey writer there is, said this'd hen I asked his opinion:

@StanFischler: Kovy is one of my all-time favorites. Terrific move for Florida. Didja know that Al plays the saxophone?

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Well, the thing about Garrioch's opinion is he covered Kovalev his last few years in the NHL on a daily basis in Ottawa both on and off the Ice.

He's probably still pissed off about the bag of beers comment Kovalev made a couple of years ago about the Sens reporters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad