Alex Kovalev invited to Panthers camp

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Alexei Kovalev said he spoke with The Florida Panthers before the 2011-12 season about playing with the organization. He was offered a tryout deal by GM Dale Tallon but it didn't work out. "The situation changed a little bit and I couldn't wait anymore so I went to Russia," said Kovalev. "I guess the offer still stands and they decided I could come back. I want to get back in the NHL. They're going to give me a chance, see how things go."

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I hope he's just there to give the kids motivation seeing how we have injuries. I'm not a fan of any of the invites, especially this one.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Alexei Kovalev said he spoke with The Florida Panthers before the 2011-12 season about playing with the organization. He was offered a tryout deal by GM Dale Tallon but it didn't work out. "The situation changed a little bit and I couldn't wait anymore so I went to Russia," said Kovalev. "I guess the offer still stands and they decided I could come back. I want to get back in the NHL. They're going to give me a chance, see how things go."

I brought up the possibility of signing AK27 on 2-24-12 in Post #769 of that thread.:yo:

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I hope he's just there to give the kids motivation seeing how we have injuries. I'm not a fan of any of the invites, especially this one.

I'm a fan of giving people second and third chances with absolutely no risk to the team. What are you worried about exactly? Either they make the team or they don't, no big deal.
After having no NHL and no Panthers for almost half a season you are going to complain about ex-NHL goal scorers getting invited to training camp? If anything it just makes things more exciting, and at least Tallon is trying to address something we can all agree on; we need more goal scoring.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I'm not at all worried, just not a fan. I certainly don't mind giving chances to a guy, just not sure how they'd contribute. That said, I liked having Sturm on the team as I thought he was very responsible. Tallon does seem to know how to find those guys.

I trust Tallon, but I've never much a fan of Kovalev, sorry CH lol, and AK has a reputation. Svatos, guess we'll see how he does in camp.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm not at all worried, just not a fan. I certainly don't mind giving chances to a guy, just not sure how they'd contribute. That said, I liked having Sturm on the team as I thought he was very responsible. Tallon does seem to know how to find those guys.

I trust Tallon, but I've never much a fan of Kovalev, sorry CH lol, and AK has a reputation. Svatos, guess we'll see how he does in camp.

We all know his labels, as his biggest apologist I'll just blame knee problems(and why the heck shouldn't I?).

Marco was cool, he did look damn good for us when he was around. Undervalued as Stumpel was IMO.

CoolburnIsGone

Reading GR's article, I found an interesting nugget of info in there:
The Panthers could have a few open spots as forwards Marcel Goc, Sean Bergenheim and Shawn Matthias were reportedly injured during the lockout.

Florida would have to make some roster moves, however, as the team will be at the maximum for contracts once defenseman Dmitry Kulikov is signed.
So even if Kovalev (or any of the tryouts) seem to make the team, we would have to make a trade to get under the 50 contract limit to sign one of the tryout guys. Start the speculation on who gets traded now ;)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/09/3173647/alex-kovalev-marek-svatos-invited.html

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Reading GR's article, I found an interesting nugget of info in there:

So even if Kovalev (or any of the tryouts) seem to make the team, we would have to make a trade to get under the 50 contract limit to sign one of the tryout guys. Start the speculation on who gets traded now ;)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/09/3173647/alex-kovalev-marek-svatos-invited.html

There are 2 veterans down in San Antonio just wasting away as healthy scratches, I say we start there.

CoolburnIsGone

There are 2 veterans down in San Antonio just wasting away as healthy scratches, I say we start there.
That was my thought exactly. Who in your opinion should go first...Deveaux or Jacques? I'm kinda leaning towards trading Deveaux since Jacques has more NHL experience.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
That was my thought exactly. Who in your opinion should go first...Deveaux or Jacques? I'm kinda leaning towards trading Deveaux since Jacques has more NHL experience.

Based on what I saw at practice today, Deveaux needs to go as soon as the CBA is ratified, if not before.
After the full team organized practice, Weber, Cipolla, and McCabe worked with the 5 on 3 units at one end. Skrudland (I think) had the another group at the other end working on individual drills. Finally, a group were at center ice playing some game where they stand around the center circle, one-timing passes to each other. If you flubbed either on the pass or the reception, you were out. Last one standing wins. Every player was involved in a drill, game, or with a coach. Except Deveaux. He sat on the halfwall in front of one of the benches, all by himself, for the duration of practice. It was embarassing to see and to me, unacceptable.

I'd rather see Jacques stick around. He's slow as mud and has stone hands, but he plays in the dirty areas and can throw his weight around. Deveaux is just a useless malcontent.

CoolburnIsGone

Based on what I saw at practice today, Deveaux needs to go as soon as the CBA is ratified, if not before.
After the full team organized practice, Weber, Cipolla, and McCabe worked with the 5 on 3 units at one end. Skrudland (I think) had the another group at the other end working on individual drills. Finally, a group were at center ice playing some game where they stand around the center circle, one-timing passes to each other. If you flubbed either on the pass or the reception, you were out. Last one standing wins. Every player was involved in a drill, game, or with a coach. Except Deveaux. He sat on the halfwall in front of one of the benches, all by himself, for the duration of practice. It was embarassing to see and to me, unacceptable.

I'd rather see Jacques stick around. He's slow as mud and has stone hands, but he plays in the dirty areas and can throw his weight around. Deveaux is just a useless malcontent.
Wow, that is kinda odd to hear. Yeah I think he's probably already prepared to be shipped out once deals are allowed. Wonder if there's a team out there that will at least take him for their farm team...maybe Edmonton since they are gonna lose a ton of guys from the farm?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Dineen on Alex...
"When we played Alex, he was on real quality teams that were extremely high powered, whether it was the Rangers with Mark Messier and Adam Graves or Pittsburgh with Jaromir Jagr and the boys there, a lot of times I focused on shutting [Kovalev] down,'' Dineen said. "You know what kind of talent he has. More importantly, what a professional he is with his skill and will. We'll take a good look at him next week. The possibilites with him as a player are endless, so we're excited to have him.'' \

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I like the fact we invited him. Also gives the guys who are signed the feel again that they wont just get spots because there signed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad