Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renholder

Racing like a pro
Jun 24, 2005
montreal
Glad to see him using his speed more. If he can gain confidence in his stride, he will get separation more with his legs than his slick stick handling. It will simplify his game more and hopefully make him more productive.

I've always felt he was overcomepnsating with his stickhandling due to his lower than average foot speed. Now he needs to gain an even higher step and start beating elite D wide and then...nothing will stop him from being a star in this league.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We saw that explosiveness in his skating during the pre-season. Then it kind of disappeared when the season started and things got real. Now he seems more comfortable and at ease since scoring that goal vs. the Islanders. His shot, his skating, his puck handling, it's all there. He's slowly but surely bringing it all together. Hopefully this is the beginning of a legitimate breakout.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
We saw that explosiveness in his skating during the pre-season. Then it kind of disappeared when the season started and things got real. Now he seems more comfortable and at ease since scoring that goal vs. the Islanders. His shot, his skating, his puck handling, it's all there. He's slowly but surely bringing it all together. Hopefully this is the beginning of a legitimate breakout.

Seriously, I think that was the best goal of the season by a Hab. One of the best in the NHL this year. He's getting his confidence. I'm thrilled.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
To be fair, when a poster used the word bustchenyuk, he had a lot of negative replies.

Last year when he played with Pacioretty we thought it was finally his time, but it only lasted 9 games. Now I can't see him go back to a winger.

Hopefully, after the TDL he'll have another skilled winger to play with

I'm not just talking about W7 though. Many other posters here and on the main boards have been over critical of Galchenyuk this season, believing he should produce like a 1C while playing 3C minutes with 3rd liners.

He's going to make a lot of posters here look silly. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'm not just talking about W7 though. Many other posters here and on the main boards have been over critical of Galchenyuk this season, believing he should produce like a 1C while playing 3C minutes with 3rd liners.

He's going to make a lot of posters he look silly. That's all I'm saying.
If we could trade him for Ryjo it would look right, and nobody would lose face.

The harsh reality is that this kid is ****ing amazing.

I've been here for 12 posts like I care.

These threads are going fast.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think 50-55 points as a center would be a good season for him. It solidifies Habs longterm at C and allows Habs to move Hudon to LW to fill that hole. McCarron/DLR would be the remaining depth long term at C.

Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Desharnais
Eller
McCarron
DLR

Not the best but acceptable enough to focus on acquiring a top 6 RW.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not sure but he may be coming out of his shell.

He has an amazing skill set, he has some of the best hands in the league.

His speed is obviously starting to become a net positive compared to past years where it was a knock on him.

I've always said its a matter of time before he reaches Pacioretty/Subban level of importance to this team, and I still believe that even if he only ends up a slight tier below (say in the Plekanec/Markov tier).

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
What Galchenyuk showed me yesterday is he DOES have elite breakaway speed. Addam Larsson and what's his face Andy Greene aren't slow players.
We've seen glimps of greatness in Galchenyuk. Now he needs to put everything together with better linemates. :):yo:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I know it was only the New Jersey Devils but the way he split those defenders and burned away with speed was nothing short of epic.

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
I don't get how ppl can't see what Galchenyuk is, an elite talent that can be like malkin. The problem is they are holding him back by not given him top talent to play with cause his vision and skill it too much for reg player. His points go up every year and he would be close to leading team but is unlucky not to get a point cause he starts the play. Could have an extra 10 points. Habs have the pieces to make a trade for a Rjo without given gally but they should go after top left d(josi) and top 6(boedker, Eberle, hall) to fill out team.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Galchenyuk speed has never been an issue. It's his footsteps, or acceleration, that used to be a weakness for him.

Breakaway goal or not, he really haven't had an issue with his skating in general going back to last season, in my opinion. The big difference is that he's a young player finally building the confidence to utilize his skills at its highest potential. The talent, the hands, the shot, the vision... It was all there since day 1, and we've seen it in stretches on various occasions. Even during his slump this season, he was still generating a ton of chances, and generally played a good game overall.

But as with any player, especially young ones, he may still struggle with consistency, and as usual, you'll see some posters on this board jump to conclusions wayyy ahead of time.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I don't get how ppl can't see what Galchenyuk is, an elite talent that can be like malkin. The problem is they are holding him back by not given him top talent to play with cause his vision and skill it too much for reg player. His points go up every year and he would be close to leading team but is unlucky not to get a point cause he starts the play. Could have an extra 10 points. Habs have the pieces to make a trade for a Rjo without given gally but they should go after top left d(josi) and top 6(boedker, Eberle, hall) to fill out team.

Why are people always overblowing things? Malkin? Really?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Great to see that his incredible play is finally paying off in terms of points. He's been the team's most dangerous forward for over a month now, creating chances every time he steps onto the ice.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Damphousse has a career PPG of 0.87, thats an average of 71 pts per season in 82 games, I know there was more scoring during the 90's but I'll be shocked if his body of work comes anywhere near Damphousse.

barring anything unexpected (knock on all the wood ever) he'll be better than Damphousse. Vinny was good but he never had Galch's skill.

Glad to see him using his speed more. If he can gain confidence in his stride, he will get separation more with his legs than his slick stick handling. It will simplify his game more and hopefully make him more productive.

I've always felt he was overcomepnsating with his stickhandling due to his lower than average foot speed. Now he needs to gain an even higher step and start beating elite D wide and then...nothing will stop him from being a star in this league.

If he gets any more explosive in his skating then we're talking about a superstar. Don't know if he can still get significantly better in that area or not.

He has an amazing skill set, he has some of the best hands in the league.

His speed is obviously starting to become a net positive compared to past years where it was a knock on him.

I've always said its a matter of time before he reaches Pacioretty/Subban level of importance to this team, and I still believe that even if he only ends up a slight tier below (say in the Plekanec/Markov tier).

His hands were rarely talked about. P. Kane, Datsyuk, Drouin maybe (if he puts it together) all have better hands I guess but who else? He's up there for sure.

Pure skill, I think he's as skilled as anyone. Malkin just has that crazy size and skating. I don't know if he can puncture that inner circle of the best of the best but he does have the tools. His skating's a lot better but as it was mentioned above if he can still be better in that area then we're talking about an insane player

Galchenyuk speed has never been an issue. It's his footsteps, or acceleration, that used to be a weakness for him.

Breakaway goal or not, he really haven't had an issue with his skating in general going back to last season, in my opinion. The big difference is that he's a young player finally building the confidence to utilize his skills at its highest potential. The talent, the hands, the shot, the vision... It was all there since day 1, and we've seen it in stretches on various occasions. Even during his slump this season, he was still generating a ton of chances, and generally played a good game overall.

But as with any player, especially young ones, he may still struggle with consistency, and as usual, you'll see some posters on this board jump to conclusions wayyy ahead of time.

The skating's a lot better and I think it's made a huge difference. It's probably a main factor in what's making him more confident. He knew it was holding him back and he obviously honed in on that in his training.

I think the 'struggles' will be less and less. Even when he was 'struggling' this year he was creating zillions of chances. It's not even that the chances are going in now, he just looks even better as well.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

He is a bit streaky but that is to be expected. Especially since Pacioretty remains to be a very streaky guy. Its just the way the puck luck goes sometimes.

But yes, the tools are there and the desire. He wants to be good. And people say he has attitude problems, those stem from age and frustration due to not becoming who he wants to be.

I don't see that as a bad thing. I see it has a young man who is hungry. Compounding will catch up and the snowball rolling down the hill will soon runaway.

Sorry for the lame analogy..:D

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I will wait because we can go check the threads on Max when he was 21 and he was a complete bust. If chukie improves at the same rate as max(not going to happen) he would be a 70 point center or better. (playing top line minutes and good wingers). But I would b happy with a consistant 65 point center that can play both ends and has better vision than our current number 1 C(and actually doesn't step down during playoffs, and this is the big one)

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I will wait because we can go check the threads on Max when he was 21 and he was a complete bust. If chukie improves at the same rate as max(not going to happen) he would be a 70 point center or better. (playing top line minutes and good wingers). But I would b happy with a consistant 65 point center that can play both ends and has better vision than our current number 1 C(and actually doesn't step down during playoffs, and this is the big one)
You may find yourself to be wrong. He's already one of our best player. Pacioretty was an AHL all-star at the same age.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Holy crap people please tone it down some on AG's greatness.
Just last week he was a bum and needed to be traded.
There is something to be said about not getting too high or too low after a game.
A number of smart people have all said the same thing it will take some time for AG and Eller to acclimatize to their new roles. The comfort level is starting to show and Ghetto's footspeed and ability to handle the puck has made a HUGE difference in both their games. Let it develop let it grow, and stop fantasizing about Chucky being like Malkin or becoming a top scorer in the league because nothing could be further from the truth. We are grooming him to become a two way in case you haven't noticed. Who was the last two way to lead the league in scoring? i can think of a couple of greats in Sakic and Yzerman but even then I don't think they led the league once they committed to an all around game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You may find yourself to be wrong. He's already one of our best player. Pacioretty was an AHL all-star at the same age.

Chucky may peak before Max did. His exposure in this league has him attaining higher levels of performance at a younger age. There is no guarantee he will get anything else but stronger.
He may get quicker from a dead stop which would be fabtastic but his puck skills are what they are.
His biggest battle will be his nerves he gets tight and its very evident in his choppy stick handling when he does. Confidence is the only true answer to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad