Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The only Hab that was ready for the NHL as a teenager. No other current Hab can make this claim

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not sure he was ready

His rookie season was on par with Steven Stamkos's rookie season.

It's one thing to say he could have used extra seasoning, which is entirely possible... But it's hard to say he wasn't ready when he had a very good rookie season by anyone's standards.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
His rookie season was on par with Steven Stamkos's rookie season.

It's one thing to say he could have used extra seasoning, which is entirely possible... But it's hard to say he wasn't ready when he had a very good rookie season by anyone's standards.
On par with stamkos rookie season? As in 20pts difference?

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
I think 50-55 points as a center would be a good season for him. It solidifies Habs longterm at C and allows Habs to move Hudon to LW to fill that hole. McCarron/DLR would be the remaining depth long term at C.

Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Desharnais
Eller
McCarron
DLR

Not the best but acceptable enough to focus on acquiring a top 6 RW.

I think 60 points is definitely realistic for this season he is our center that was the best offensive threat.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Holy crap people please tone it down some on AG's greatness.
Just last week he was a bum and needed to be traded.
There is something to be said about not getting too high or too low after a game.
A number of smart people have all said the same thing it will take some time for AG and Eller to acclimatize to their new roles. The comfort level is starting to show and Ghetto's footspeed and ability to handle the puck has made a HUGE difference in both their games. Let it develop let it grow, and stop fantasizing about Chucky being like Malkin or becoming a top scorer in the league because nothing could be further from the truth. We are grooming him to become a two way in case you haven't noticed. Who was the last two way to lead the league in scoring? i can think of a couple of greats in Sakic and Yzerman but even then I don't think they led the league once they committed to an all around game.

I'm sure it's not the same people who are see-sawing. It's just the two different factions taking turns being more vocal when they're feeling validated.

Galchenyuk is as skilled as they come. he may never top the league in scoring (if he ever centered Pacioretty and Gallagher he could very well have a shot if Pleks is around 8th atm) but come on you make it sound like we're saying DSP can be a top scorer.

it's a bit ironic that you're calling people out for over exaggerating and yet you say
" stop fantasizing about Chucky being like Malkin or becoming a top scorer in the league because nothing could be further from the truth." lol. Can you get more hyperbolic?

I've seen with my own eyes Galchenyuk do things with the puck that only the best of the best can do and even some of them can't. If he's not one of the 5 best stick handlers in the league, he's damn close. He's got great compete levels. Good size. Incredible passer (those one-timer slap passes he does?) and a shot when settled down is an absolute lazer, damn near elite (once or if the accuracy comes). now his skating is coming along as well. It still might be the only thing about him that isn't world class (but then again you see last night and I could be wrong. at the very least it's damn close) but it's really starting to catch up with the rest of his game.

I think I need more reasons as to why he CAN'T be a high end scorer. There's nothing in his game that i've seen is deficient enough to stop him from being one of the top 10-15 forwards in the game.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Price?

And it's hypothetical, but IMO Subban could have played bottom pairing in the NHL at 19 yo.

Price probably could have come in and delivered a good stretch for the habs as a teenager, however, I can't say he was ready. While his rookie season was impressive as a whole, it ended with him looking overwhelmed.

It actually took him about 3 or so years to achieve the consistency that you look for in a bonafide starter.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
We should notice something from yesterday, his skating allowed him to score a goal, yes his skating which is supposed to be a flaw of his. A flaw might be exagerrating but he does have wheels, it's just he is also sometimes slow to execute with his very long stick.

A good sign if anything.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Price probably could have come in and delivered a good stretch for the habs as a teenager, however, I can't say he was ready. While his rookie season was impressive as a whole, it ended with him looking overwhelmed.

It actually took him about 3 or so years to achieve the consistency that you look for in a bonafide starter.

Yeah, I agree. He was good, but inconsistant. So it's fair to say he was not 100% ready for the job.

In fact, Price's overall stats are extremely impressive given that he played so much before 25. Even some of the legends like Roy or Hasek were hugely inconsistant before 25. Roy never even played 60 games before turning 25. And he went through some serious ups and down, especially in the POs.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And yes, Galchenyuk (and Eller) could use more minutes on that 'second line'.

If Chuckie manages to get 60 points while playing 14 min per game, it's actually near elite production. He's now at 0.67 PPG.

I know you can't extrapolate just like that, but most PPG guys play more like 18-20 min. per game. It's just not fair to compare given Galchenyuk's TOI. You can't do much with only 14 min. per game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm sure it's not the same people who are see-sawing. It's just the two different factions taking turns being more vocal when they're feeling validated.

Galchenyuk is as skilled as they come. he may never top the league in scoring (if he ever centered Pacioretty and Gallagher he could very well have a shot if Pleks is around 8th atm) but come on you make it sound like we're saying DSP can be a top scorer.

it's a bit ironic that you're calling people out for over exaggerating and yet you say
" stop fantasizing about Chucky being like Malkin or becoming a top scorer in the league because nothing could be further from the truth." lol. Can you get more hyperbolic?

I've seen with my own eyes Galchenyuk do things with the puck that only the best of the best can do and even some of them can't. If he's not one of the 5 best stick handlers in the league, he's damn close. He's got great compete levels. Good size. Incredible passer (those one-timer slap passes he does?) and a shot when settled down is an absolute lazer, damn near elite (once or if the accuracy comes). now his skating is coming along as well. It still might be the only thing about him that isn't world class (but then again you see last night and I could be wrong. at the very least it's damn close) but it's really starting to catch up with the rest of his game.

I think I need more reasons as to why he CAN'T be a high end scorer. There's nothing in his game that i've seen is deficient enough to stop him from being one of the top 10-15 forwards in the game.

Not sure I'm quite as high on his potential. I don't think he can dominate a game like a Malkin could.
Frankly I don't see that type of character in him. He can be more of a cerebral threat kinda similar to Plecky than a physical threat IMO. I still think 80pts with defensive awareness is his top end.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We should notice something from yesterday, his skating allowed him to score a goal, yes his skating which is supposed to be a flaw of his. A flaw might be exagerrating but he does have wheels, it's just he is also sometimes slow to execute with his very long stick.

A good sign if anything.

Yup he had the step and kept it while protecting the puck.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure I'm quite as high on his potential. I don't think he can dominate a game like a Malkin could.
Frankly I don't see that type of character in him. He can be more of a cerebral threat kinda similar to Plecky than a physical threat IMO. I still think 80pts with defensive awareness is his top end.

About three other players can dominate as hard as Geno.

Carey, sid and Ovi.

Even Ovi is a stretch. Geno is special.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011

In a modern hockey context, 80 pts with defensive awareness is Jonathan Toews. I'd call that elite, wouldn't you?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
In a modern hockey context, 80 pts with defensive awareness is Jonathan Toews. I'd call that elite, wouldn't you?
If the league had a fantasy draft and I had the first overall pick

my decision would be on one of Toews, Tavares or the youth and promise of McDavid.

Because I would want to build a team that could win, not a player that could win a regular season scoring race. And that is no shot at Crosby, just instead high praise for the three mentioned names.

Toews is so good, he reminds me of a better defensive version of Joe Sakic at times

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
If the league had a fantasy draft and I had the first overall pick

my decision would be on one of Toews, Tavares or the youth and promise of McDavid.

Because I would want to build a team that could win, not a player that could win a regular season scoring race. And that is no shot at Crosby, just instead high praise for the three mentioned names.

Toews is so good, he reminds me of a better defensive version of Joe Sakic at times

Benn is better than any player in the league right now IMO and everything about his game screams playoff hockey.

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
Why are people always overblowing things? Malkin? Really?

Since when is 3rd overall(that really should of/was #1 overall) and proven best player in his draft year an overblowing of things??? Tell me the logic? He could be leading the team but just misses out on a point, could have 10 extra points. He is being held back given 15-17mins of play/game with lesser players. He becomes elite once put on top line with better players and puts up points with them. Plus I said can be like malkin not that he is, so maybe re-read things before you try and have a go while looking dump. You clearly can't spot talent so your posts are of no point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad