Alex Galchenyuk Fulfilling His Potential

Analyzer*

I don't think scouts questioned his ability, but more his injury if he'll be the same.

The bottom picture is odd. You see someone with the same stick as Chucky trying to attack him.

Good article.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I once remarked to my Habs/ oilers fan friend (one that I highly respect his opinion), that I was worried galchenyuk would not realize his potential. He just said, you're crazy, wait and enjoy.

I'm happy to do that now...

Last edited:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The kid's brain works real fast, and his skills can keep up with it. He's dangerous, all the time.

That goal against Detroit, the puck was dead behind the net and he had Quincey roadblocking him on the ground. He just hurdled over Quincey, got possession and wrapped it around and in from a dead angle. All of that in 3 seconds.

He's top 10% in terms of skills. He can humiliate you and make you look like you stand there with your thumb up your ass but you're trying, there's just nothing you can do.

He's not generational-level, but he's definitively on that second tier. Perennial all-star, hall of fame potential if he gets the numbers and the hardware, his skills will leave good memories. AT WORSE, he'll be another Kovalev. I'm thinking he'll be a lot more focused and humble Kovalev, which is SCA-RY.

Last edited:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I'm actually worried he's becoming too physical. lol... At this pace, he's outhitting grinders...

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wonder if MB will ignore the "bridge contract" strategy with him....I would love to see him signed long term!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He's quite a bit like Hossa, actually. The 2-way play will come with experience.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
He's quite a bit like Hossa, actually. The 2-way play will come with experience.

I've been saying since his first season that his play reminds me of hossa, and not marcel....

At least I think I was right on one thing ;)

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Things I really like about AG27 beyond his skill...
1- The guy looks incredibly driven. You can see it on the bench, on the ice... He always seems "on".
2- Habs were getting shellacked by TB something like 5 or 6-1 and it was the end of the game. TB burned our D again and broke towards the net...
To sum up: We've already lost + we've been humiliated + It doesn't matter anymore.
But Galchenyuk like gangbuster, put on the jets and projected himself to block the guy breaking to the net from scoring. He got a penalty...
I must say I was impressed!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He's better so far than I honestly thought he would be out of the gate. Needless to say, I'm not disappointed!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I had my doubts about him, a lot of doubts actually. I was prepared to trade him for Ryan Johansen.

We'll see how it plays out this season but I want him to ultimately play centre.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's looking far better than I could have imagined thus far. I doubt he'll be PPG this season, but I think he will be by next.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
2 things on him.

1- he has not even reach his potential yet... His potential is a 80-90 points season centerman... As a winger IMO his potential is more limited as he has less opportunities to use his incredible on ice vision.

2 - Now people are on a high with him because he is playing his best hockey but they have to remember that he is still only 20 years old and he will have more difficult time.

Personally I would prefer to see him play as a center and develop his game there.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
2 things on him.

1- he has not even reach his potential yet... His potential is a 80-90 points season centerman... As a winger IMO his potential is more limited as he has less opportunities to use his incredible on ice vision.

2 - Now people are on a high with him because he is playing his best hockey but they have to remember that he is still only 20 years old and he will have more difficult time.

Personally I would prefer to see him play as a center and develop his game there.

I think that's pushing a little bit. Not a lot of players hit that range.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The kid's brain works real fast, and his skills can keep up with it. He's dangerous, all the time.

That goal against Detroit, the puck was dead behind the net and he had Quincey roadblocking him on the ground. He just hurdled over Quincey, got possession and wrapped it around and in from a dead angle. All of that in 3 seconds.

He's top 10% in terms of skills. He can humiliate you and make you look like you stand there with your thumb up your ass but you're trying, there's just nothing you can do.

He's not generational-level, but he's definitively on that second tier. Perennial all-star, hall of fame potential if he gets the numbers and the hardware, his skills will leave good memories. AT WORSE, he'll be another Kovalev. I'm thinking he'll be a lot more focused and humble Kovalev, which is SCA-RY.

A more focused Kovalev = generational talent

If he is just scratching the surface of his potential, he could definitely become one of the best players of his generation.

Shadyone33

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
I'm so happy with his progression. I was saying last year that I hope they let this guy loose and see what he can do. I thought the Hossa comparison was pretty accurate, but I feel like he's going to be our Sundin who scores a goal when we need one. I know it's early, but it's hard to not be excited about his potential. He looks so much more stronger and confident.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I had no doubts about him. If he's actually give a chance to play at center this year for a long stretch, I think people will be surprised about him.

He's ready to take the position. Hr already plays like a center man and has been since his 1st game with the Habs. He enjoys the middle because you can actually see the entire surface from there.

He may suffer at faceoffs, which comes with experience but he'll be a much much better player once moved to center.

2 things I'd like from him.
A shorter stick, about 1-2" shorter, it would help with his stick handling it close quarters.
Second thing, to use his shot a hell of a lot more. He should avg 140-150 shots a year. He needs to use it more.

I seem him as a Damphouse/Turgeon type. May put up a few more points than them, but he undeniably has better puck control.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I had no doubts about him. If he's actually give a chance to play at center this year for a long stretch, I think people will be surprised about him.

He's ready to take the position. Hr already plays like a center man and has been since his 1st game with the Habs. He enjoys the middle because you can actually see the entire surface from there.

He may suffer at faceoffs, which comes with experience but he'll be a much much better player once moved to center.

2 things I'd like from him.
A shorter stick, about 1-2" shorter, it would help with his stick handling it close quarters.
Second thing, to use his shot a hell of a lot more. He should avg 140-150 shots a year. He needs to use it more.

I seem him as a Damphouse/Turgeon type. May put up a few more points than them, but he undeniably has better puck control.

At who's expense?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Obviously 2 guys have to go. Neither is short than 5'7 nor taller than 6'2".

Why two guys Chucky isn't double shifting the rest of his life is he? :)
Plecky DD or Eller which one?

Keep in mind the stanley cup could very well rest on your decision.
no pressure... :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He should put another 10-15 pounds, if not more, of muscle in the next couple of years (Look how guys like Subban and Eller got bigger between 21-24). Everybody said he was a rat gym in the minor!!

We're just scratching the surface with that kid. He'll get a little faster, more confident, more physical, better shot and more. And on top of that, he's already a clutch player.

Everything is there and more is coming.......now we need to build our offence around this guy ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad