Player Discussion Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No, that is not what I am saying. When I say logically, I am saying that if we applied rules of logic then if he can't play hockey in one location he can't play hockey in a different location. Location is not part of a logic equation. However it is part of the social equation.
You aren't applying rules of logic because there never was a rule that he can't play here, you've created a false premise and extended from there, it's more of a fallicy then the application of logic.

As you note "He is a product that people aren't interested in seeing anymore". To which I agree. This is the social side of the equation. However, the more accurate description would be"

"He is a product that some people aren't interested in seeing at this time"
Sure, some people. When a threshold number of those people is met, the business decides it's no longer in their best interest to sell that product.

There's no rule that he can't play, just enough people are interested in seeing him play that it no longer is beneficial to offer him to the leagues fans. Overseas, another business selling to different clients can make their own decisions on whether or not to employ him, and unless I happen to watch games in that league, I don't really have to care what they decide to do.

The people who aren't interested in watching him don't make the decision on whether to employ him or not. Just because you like the McRib, doesn't mean McDonald's has to sell it to you, they need enough market force to make it worth their while.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
2.25m - 3.75m

What league will pay that salary outside the KHL.

AHL max contracts are around 600-800k last time I checked
There's a lot more money for talented import players than most people realize , a lot of it gets hidden in signing bonus and per dieum type payments , I just watched a vod where the players were getting paid in cash before practice and a certain goalie would stuff his money down the front of his pads while he practised instead of leaving a bag of cash in his stall in the locker room lol .
Remember he was only offered a 750k QO .

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If Formenton never plays in the NHL again, we'd better get some form of compensation such as a draft pick to replace his value.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes, otherwise the Sens would have lost his rights and he would be a UFA. He would have been offered his last salary plus 10%. I think that’s the offer to qualify players coming off entry level deals and they then become RFAs.
I mean, yes, I know they qualified him.

I'm just saying afterwards, I don't think anything was offered leading up to the deadline. I think at this point they will see what the ruling is, and he will probably be in camp next year

Reactions: slamigo

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think he is done with this organization and probably wont be back in the league for a long time if ever. I think he is going to take one for the team here whether its warranted or not.

Reactions: Alex1234

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I mean, yes, I know they qualified him.

I'm just saying afterwards, I don't think anything was offered leading up to the deadline. I think at this point they will see what the ruling is, and he will probably be in camp next year
I think even if not charged criminally, the scandal may be too much for small market Ottawa. If the NHL allows him to continue playing, probably best to trade him to a US market where he would not be under the microscope. Again, I'm not touching the "did he, did he not" aspect because we don't know. But the scrutiny here in Ottawa will likely be too high for him to simply continue playing if he isn't fully exonerated.
I am skeptical that (rightly or wrongly) any of this will result in charges. Then it's just a matter of how much bad press the team feels like dealing with and whether this becomes a distraction.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think he is done with this organization and probably wont be back in the league for a long time if ever. I think he is going to take one for the team here whether its warranted or not.

I really wonder what would have happened had he signed his QO. The Sens couldn't keep him out of the lineup and a lot would have blown over unless names were leaked.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If investigation comes back with zero charges then he should be back. Optics still horrible but. f***.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
If Formenton never plays in the NHL again, we'd better get some form of compensation such as a draft pick to replace his value.
That's just the inherent risk. Boston got nothing for Len Bias, as tragic an example as that is.

Reality is we're probably looking at another Hoffman-ish situation where we trade him for pennies on the dollar. Can't say I'm too excited for that. I'm sure the plan for how to handle him will come from new ownership up top.

Reactions: bert and IceColdOx

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
That's just the inherent risk. Boston got nothing for Len Bias, as tragic an example as that is.

Reality is we're probably looking at another Hoffman-ish situation where we trade him for pennies on the dollar. Can't say I'm too excited for that. I'm sure the plan for how to handle him will come from new ownership up top.
Sort of in a no man's land until we get some information.

Reactions: Alex1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If investigation comes back with zero charges then he should be back. Optics still horrible but. f***.
From what I am hearing its not good unfortunately. There may not be charges but that doesnt mean some players arent implicated in what happened.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From what I am hearing its not good unfortunately. There may not be charges but that doesnt mean some players arent implicated in what happened.
If there is not enough for criminal charges then I am not sure how individual acts are going to come out in the detail we'd want to effectively wash your hands of the player.

Some teams may take the stand that just by being one of the people in the room to err on the side of caution and chose to do that ... some won't.

Is it possible these players , whether you agree with the actual activity or not , thought they had consent? And if there are no criminal charges the water does get murky. I mean I wouldn't want my kids involved here but ... I wouldn't want to see anyone accused of a crime they didn't commit either.

I guess we have to continue to wait for what they come out with.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I wonder if some of this has to do with team's board saying that we should not sign him under any circumstance until the team is sold. The last thing they want is a ticking time bomb potentially dropping the value of the team on the eve of the team being sold. Just look at how much flak the Bruins got for signing Miller.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
I wonder if some of this has to do with team's board saying that we should not sign him under any circumstance until the team is sold. The last thing they want is a ticking time bomb potentially dropping the value of the team on the eve of the team being sold. Just look at how much flak the Bruins got for signing Miller.
Not something new ownership wants to deal with right off the jump. They'll be a lot of attention on the team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well regardless the implication will always be there. No matter what. I doubt their names will be released

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s also possible that no names are ever publicly released if nothing concrete comes from the investigation. If no charges are even laid I doubt they will release names at all.

If that’s the case then I imagine things can move on again. Right now everything is held up waiting for the London Police Investigation to conclude right?

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Good Riddance. This guy's poor character decisions were a major part of why this season started off on the wrong foot. There was so much promise about our new season until we became team sexual assault.

Reactions: Icelevel and Tuna99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad