Player Discussion Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Great first game, I saw him whiff on at least one golden opportunity which is kind of his M.O. He actually reminds me a lot of Connor Brown but with better skating. Can't see anything really from his first game that makes me think he is getting sent back down.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
SmartSelect_20210324-172357_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: DylanSensFan

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Very good showing.

He was noticeable in a good way all over the ice...other than scoring a goal he couldn't have had a better outing IMO.

Looked good on the PK as well, very poised.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Agree with the 3rd liner assessment. He would be perfect for the PK except that it’s difficult to kill penalties from the penalty box. ;-)

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I get the feeling DJ is going to be a big Forementon fan. It was nice to see him get a big role on the PK right away.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Our forward group is going to be scary in the near future:
Top 6:
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Norris
Batherson
Formenton
Pinto
Dadonov

Bottom 6
C. Brown
White
Paul
Watson
Sokolov
Greig
Dzingel?
Crookshank?
Bishop?

Guys I see being traded:
L. Brown, Tierney, Abramov

Reactions: NB613

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
His first three strides a re a joke, quite frankly. Too bad he didn't have an opportunity to really fly, but man, what a skater. And he was in the right spots. Mann deserves a lot of credit getting this kid ready

Reactions: aragorn

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Two years ago he was averaging a clear breakaway per game, I'd imagine that's going to come back to him as he gets reps at this level. Really promising player with so much speed. If he can develop any type of finish at this level? Whoa.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Missed the last few games but he appears to playing well and has a couple goals. Do you guys think he's made the jump to the NHL and will be a regular in the line up?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formenton is only going to get better as he matures & grows physically, he's another player that plays with some edge, is great on the PK & should get a break away each game. He just needs to start to produce some pts & that will come hopefully as soon as next season.

Reactions: NB613

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Missed the last few games but he appears to playing well and has a couple goals. Do you guys think he's made the jump to the NHL and will be a regular in the line up?
I could see him going up and down next year, depending on how many NHLers are acquired in the off-season, injuries, etc. My guess is that by the time we reach next year's trade deadline he will become a regular. As Aragorn said, he just needs a little more physical maturity and confidence to cement himself in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Interesting how there is zero talk about this guy from the media of any kind.

Gotta think the radio silence means that most in the know that he is not signed cause of the HC stuff and aren't going to risk bringing it up

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting how there is zero talk about this guy from the media of any kind.

Gotta think the radio silence means that most in the know that he is not signed cause of the HC stuff and aren't going to risk bringing it up
#FreeFormenton

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Putting the HC issues aside, Formenton is suffering from a lack of leverage. He is a young player one year away from having arbitration rights, so without that all he can do is hold out. He could have just signed his qualifying offer, and in hindsight maybe he should have, but it only would have been a five percent raise on the rookie minimum he was making before. Almost no player in his position accepts their qualifying offer, although in his case it would have got him on the ice, and on the road to having arbitration rights in 2023.

What probably makes Formenton's agent angry is the lack of offer sheets coming his way. Formenton is young, fast and relatively cheap. Another club could have signed him to an offer sheet that would have only seen them owe the Sens a third rounder. The reason why teams don't do it is that they know that Ottawa, or any other team in that situation, would simply match, and then exact their revenge in future years by signing one of their guys to an offer sheet. There is an unspoken truce amongst GMs on offer sheets, which is a completely anti-competitive practice but of course no one can prove it. It drives agents and the NHLPA crazy.

As for the HC matter, I of course have no idea what Formenton did or didn't do that night, and no one else here does either. The truth is that none of us will ever know. Every player who has been interviewed has lawyered up, and in the absence of any criminal charges they would sue Hockey Canada or the media back to the stone age at any suggestion of wrongdoing. When the report finally comes out, people will be disappointed - it will be heavily redacted, and no names will be mentioned. It sucks, because in a perfect would we would know who did what that night so people could be held accountable, but I'm just not convinced you are going to see that...

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Putting the HC issues aside, Formenton is suffering from a lack of leverage. He is a young player one year away from having arbitration rights, so without that all he can do is hold out. He could have just signed his qualifying offer, and in hindsight maybe he should have, but it only would have been a five percent raise on the rookie minimum he was making before. Almost no player in his position accepts their qualifying offer, although in his case it would have got him on the ice, and on the road to having arbitration rights in 2023.

What probably makes Formenton's agent angry is the lack of offer sheets coming his way. Formenton is young, fast and relatively cheap. Another club could have signed him to an offer sheet that would have only seen them owe the Sens a third rounder. The reason why teams don't do it is that they know that Ottawa, or any other team in that situation, would simply match, and then exact their revenge in future years by signing one of their guys to an offer sheet. There is an unspoken truce amongst GMs on offer sheets, which is a completely anti-competitive practice but of course no one can prove it. It drives agents and the NHLPA crazy.

As for the HC matter, I of course have no idea what Formenton did or didn't do that night, and no one else here does either. The truth is that none of us will ever know. Every player who has been interviewed has lawyered up, and in the absence of any criminal charges they would sue Hockey Canada or the media back to the stone age at any suggestion of wrongdoing. When the report finally comes out, people will be disappointed - it will be heavily redacted, and no names will be mentioned. It sucks, because in a perfect would we would know who did what that night so people could be held accountable, but I'm just not convinced you are going to see that...
The eerie silence from insiders is odd to me though. If it was a contract dispute we would have heard more information about that I would think. Its at a point where no media or insider is even touching the topic almost as if there is a lot more to this than just contracts.

When Hague signed I rmr on 32 thoughts Friedman was saying how he is the last one to sign. Meaning the last RFA which is not the case.

I just feel like the reason there is zero talk is because it is not contract based and has to fully do with HC and media outlets are not going to touch that in fear of getting sued

Reactions: IceColdOx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad