Player Discussion Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Right, but in terms of hockey he obviously deserved more than they offered. So they low-balled him because of the scandal, thus sending a "subtle" message of we don't want you. Giving someone a shitty offer is the same as not signing them at all.

Sure, but the agent should have read the room and realized that the low-ball offer was the best he was going to get. If he signed the QO, he'd be playing and making an NHL paycheque.

He thought Ottawa or another team would eventually give in. He was wrong.

Now if he wants back in the NHL, Formenton will need to accept another lowball offer next summer, if one comes.

It seems that Ottawa knew enough to not give Formenton a "fair" offer based on his play, but not enough to just renounce his rights and wash their hands of him. This leads me to believe that it was mostly a PR decision (probably the right one) and they don't have a smoking gun that indicates he'll be legally charged with anything.

They're hoping that once the legal process wraps up, he'll still have some value in a trade, and for that to happen he'll have to be "cleared". So they probably expect him to be cleared and they'll try to recoup a late-round pick.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I agree, which is fascinating. The social anger machine doesn't hold everyone to the same standard. So many nuances and things at play.
To me it makes sense. I have worked in mental health/social work for over a decade. Domestic abuse is pretty common place(UNFORTUNATELY). Seems to be a mistake normal people can make in a moment of stupidity. If I couldn't find compassion for those people I would have to write a LOT of people off. Alternatively, if I got some case notes that said "male brought woman to hotel room, had sex with her, then invited his friends to come have sex with her. The woman felt was not what she had intended to do when she left with the man," I would be thinking I probably have a legit psychopath on my hands.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Locked again until news...

prescription-2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Loach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events