Alex Edler- What happened?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I thought this topic was about Edler? Why are there always people like you who can never accept the truth? Edler is a fine Dman and easily a top 4 guy. I do not believe he is a top 2 guy and have my doubts as to whether he will ever be. I said I would be more than happy to be wrong but I believe it is what it is. What we see from Edler is what we have. Sooner or later you have to see a player for what he really is. In Edler's case that's a damn fine top 4 guy. I would take Bieksa over Edler any day of the week and if it is a playoff game then twice on Sundays.

Why are there always people like you who can never accept the truth? Bieksa is a decent defenseman and a top 4 guy, but in no way is a top 2 defender. He plays lazy, makes bad decisions too often, and takes too many risks. If not for Hamhuis, he would of never become so overrated. Edler is a much better defenseman offensively and defensively. Bieksa is a likeable guy and gritty, which is clouding your judgement. The only thing he has on Edler is being able to be put with Hamhuis

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
You make it sound so easy. I do hope you're correct but I have my doubts. I would happily admit to being wrong. Only time will tell.

Of course. However, I think your expectations are too high. I would bet money that more than half the league would consider Edler a top pairing D they would love to have.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Really? Examples.

Because the one you gave was a direct result of a bad cross-ice pass right at the blue line.

Edler was extremely consistent at both ends of the ice last season, before he tweaked his back. And he's actually been pretty consistent this season, too. Mistakes will always happen from time to time.

Well sir, I think your and my definition of consistency differs greatly :laugh:

Anyways, I like Edler, he seems like a nice guy and a good teammate. I just think if this team is going to go anywhere he's going to have to pick up his play become the steady veteran that he should be becoming.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Of course. However, I think your expectations are too high. I would bet money that more than half the league would consider Edler a top pairing D they would love to have.

Very true. We are spoiled with respects to some of he talent on this team. I would love to be wrong.

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
Big D men like Edler are slower, even though he's not that slow when it comes to top speed, but he doesn't have good acceleration. He needs a fast partner to cover for him if he's going to be the go to offensive defenseman or a puck moving D man like the Hoff he can pass to. He's not a shifty PMD, give him a player he can pass to and lead the rush he'll do much better. Losing Hoff is like losing one of the Sedines. Sure having 1 is still good player, but not close to what they can do together. Going off topic a bit here but I thought MG knew the team well and selecting the right player through draft, FA, and trades, but changing strategy after losing to Boston was the wrong move. We can't out skill teams now, and we're not even close to out tough some of the big teams out there.

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley
Edler's hockey IQ has always been questioned, and I think that may be the reason why he can't take the next step and become a steady, reliable two way defenseman.

Too many mental mistakes, just not being able to hold concentration long enough to make it through a game without screwing up. Or simply just not being prepared when the game starts like against the Sharks.

Let's a guy walk around him
Falls down
Reaches out with his stick and trips him

This is our BEST defenseman? If so, I'm scared for our future.

+1 Edler has never been the sharpest hockey mind and this year he is really struggling to keep it together. I do think his back is an issue and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the post-season.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
:facepalm:

Been our best all around defensemen. He is definitely effected by the multiple pairing switches over the year. AV needs to stick to one line up and let them develop some chemistry.

Are you serious??

That is absolutely not correct. Hes honestly been our worst defenseman all year.

Hammer- steady and solid as always
Bieksa- made way less bad pinches and team was winning w him in
Tanev- Nuff said, cool as a cucumber, mistake free
Garrison- struggled, maybe as bad as Edler
Ballard, been consistent and smart. Sometimes trys to do too much, but been very solid.

The only player thats MAYBE been worse is Garrison

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

I feel the people that would say that just hear 'Edler' and think stud based on reputation, size, minutes logged and POTENTIAL skill set. But watch him play and pretend he was wearing a nameless/numberless jersey and you would think he was very very shaky

RK17

Apr 29, 2011
I feel the people that would say that just hear 'Edler' and think stud based on reputation, size, minutes logged and POTENTIAL skill set. But watch him play and pretend he was wearing a nameless/numberless jersey and you would think he was very very shaky

Seems like it. For a top 4 guy he should play a stronger defensive game. The concerns with him are his lack of footspeed, clumsyness, and plays way to tenatively without the puck. I'm starting to lose patience with his overall lack of consistancy, his unreliability and lack of confidence in himself. We need to get more out of him or trade him.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Edler is really frustrating to watch. I don't think he lacks skill, physical tools or even IQ. What he lacks is consistency; the ability to play at his best every shift. He'll come out a few times were he'll have a big hit, make a good pinch, then suddenly the next shift he'll be giving biscuits away like a girl scout and cost us a goal.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Edler is really frustrating to watch. I don't think he lacks skill, physical tools or even IQ. What he lacks is consistency; the ability to play at his best every shift. He'll come out a few times were he'll have a big hit, make a good pinch, then suddenly the next shift he'll be giving biscuits away like a girl scout and cost us a goal.

This. Every game one of the playoffs he plays like Chara. Then disapears.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's 26 and playing an average of 24TOI, with a season high of 28TOI? When you see the stretches good Edler, you know you just need to be patient. He's going to be a minute munching, 40 point top pairing defensemen. I don't know about you, but that's #1D.

Yeah, I don't know why I used that term. I hate it. I mean like a Chris Pronger/Scott Neidermayer type who not only gets big TOI but uses it to his team's advantage night-in, night-out. Many said this was his upside and I agree it is, much I'm not sure if he will reach it at this point.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah, I don't know why I used that term. I hate it. I mean like a Chris Pronger/Scott Neidermayer type who not only gets big TOI but uses it to his team's advantage night-in, night-out. Many said this was his upside and I agree it is, much I'm not sure if he will reach it at this point.

Its frustrating because I bet on a different team, different environment and different system and Defense, he would become a legit #1 Dman, ala Duncan Keith

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Edler is a decent yet inconsistent second pairing d-man who's about to be overpaid. Amazing how good goaltending has made guys like him and Bieksa rich.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Edler is a decent yet inconsistent second pairing d-man who's about to be overpaid. Amazing how good goaltending has made guys like him and Bieksa rich.

Not actually true. Good Goaltending or not, those 2 would get paid the same on any other team.That is market value for those players

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Not actually true. Good Goaltending or not, those 2 would get paid the same on any other team.That is market value for those players

Agreed under the current and old cap but I doubt anybody will blow about $9 million combined on a second D pairing going forward.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Agreed under the current and old cap but I doubt anybody will blow about $9 million combined on a second D pairing going forward.

Of course they will. You seem to be really overvaluing cap space. 9m is about 14% of a 64m cap. Assuming that your 4th liners (+ 13th forward) are all worth 1m or less, your 6th, 7th D and 8th D are worth 1m or less, and your backup is worth 1m or less that puts you at about 3.8m average salary per 15 players. So you're paying about .7m extra for a 2nd pair D. Considering that your 3rd line forwards and 5th D are going to cost a lot less than 3.8m each, that gives you quite a bit of room to work with.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Of course they will. You seem to be really overvaluing cap space. 9m is about 14% of a 64m cap. Assuming that your 4th liners (+ 13th forward) are all worth 1m or less, your 6th, 7th D and 8th D are worth 1m or less, and your backup is worth 1m or less that puts you at about 3.8m average salary per 15 players. So you're paying about .7m extra for a 2nd pair D. Considering that your 3rd line forwards and 5th D are going to cost a lot less than 3.8m each, that gives you quite a bit of room to work with.

Maybe but the Burrows/Edler combined cap hit goes up by $4.25 million next year so unless they dump Luongo, Ballard, and Booth without taking on too much salary in return, it will be tough to justify quite that much. Plus Tanev is an RFA and they'll need to make decisions on Raymond, Higgins, and Lapierre if they all finish the year here and they need to keep an eye on the Sedins and Hansen who are UFA's the following year. Not an enviable position.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Find me ONE team that is like that.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I dont get your above post.

you said 'Assume back up goalie, 4th line guys are worth 1m each"

Canucks Backup goalie is not 1m, neither is kings or lightening.

Neither is the 4th line players. pretty much almost nobody makes less than 1m anymore.

The point is to average 1m between all those players. There at least 10 teams in the NHL that fit that criteria.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm not doubting you but just too lazy to look! Who are they? Good teams that consider themselves Cup worthy?

Kings, Ranger, Ducks, Sharks, Nashville, etc. That's just top teams that I looked at, most of the non-playoff teams also fit into that category.

Canucks will be one when they dump one of their goalies. We barely have any money tied up in Schroeder, Sestito, Weise, Lapierre, Pinizzotto, Barker, Tanev, and Alberts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad