Alex Edler- What happened?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He is BY FAR our worst defensman this year.

Literally not a game goes by where he doesn't make a huge mistake or 7.

I dont think hes injured, because they seem to be all brain cramps. Shooting in to shinpads on PP,

Bobbling pucks at the blueline. Taking penalties.....

Hes played far worse than Ballard, yet we resign him to a long term deal, and give him an 'A'

No accountability for his mistakes.

What is wrong?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
nothing happened and nothing is wrong. edler's been decent this year as he has every year and this is pretty much what was paid for

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
He is BY FAR our worst defensman this year.

Literally not a game goes by where he doesn't make a huge mistake or 7.

I dont think hes injured, because they seem to be all brain cramps. Shooting in to shinpads on PP,

Bobbling pucks at the blueline. Taking penalties.....

Hes played far worse than Ballard, yet we resign him to a long term deal, and give him an 'A'

No accountability for his mistakes.

What is wrong?

Edler's been effective this year. He makes mistakes, but so have all the D. And I'd say he's made less than Garrison, Bieksa, and Ballard, while getting more ice time and more difficult assignments.

Corsi Rel QoC is tops on the team for D, and fourth overall behind Sedins/Burr.

Last edited:

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Edler's hockey IQ has always been questioned, and I think that may be the reason why he can't take the next step and become a steady, reliable two way defenseman.

Too many mental mistakes, just not being able to hold concentration long enough to make it through a game without screwing up. Or simply just not being prepared when the game starts like against the Sharks.

Let's a guy walk around him
Falls down
Reaches out with his stick and trips him

This is our BEST defenseman? If so, I'm scared for our future.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Edler's hockey IQ has always been questioned, and I think that may be the reason why he can't take the next step and become a steady, reliable two way defenseman.

Too many mental mistakes, just not being able to hold concentration long enough to make it through a game without screwing up. Or simply just not being prepared when the game starts like against the Sharks.

Falls down

Agreed.

Wizeman*

He isnt playing well but he will be proven to be worth every penny of the 5mil .

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I don't think you can discount the effect of removing Salo from the lineup. The D pairings have been a revolving door because of the number of guys that want to play the left side. That's even more compounded with Bieksa being out. Edler has definitely struggling though to execute plays consistently in the minutes he's being given. I really hope Gillis is looking to address the D issue before the playoffs because currently it seems pretty patchwork and it only gets worse when someone is hurt. Edler needs the right kind of partner for us to really get the most out of him.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Falls down

That was a horrible pass, that also bounced. He was then bowled over by 6'5 220 pound Michal Handzus—not sure you can entirely blame that on Edler. Taking the penalty was the right move in that situation.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
That was a horrible pass, that also bounced. He was then bowled over by 6'5 220 pound Michal Handzus—not sure you can entirely blame that on Edler. Taking the penalty was the right move in that situation.

And this is seems to be the attitude when it comes to Edler. If that was Alberts, Barker, Bieksa, or even the seldom seen Ballard, they would get lynched by our fanbase.

But because Edler has so much potential, and picks up assists on the powerplay to make his stats look good, we give him a free pass.

Someone's going to have to sit Edler down pretty soon here, and tell him he needs to pull his socks up and become the player that they signed him to be.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We can't overreact here, although he's had mental lapses, he is putting up really good numbers while having a revolving door of partners. He'll turn it around, and to say that Ballard has been better is just not right.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think anything has happened to Edler. I have said it a few times now that these mistakes we keep seeing from him have always been there. We were all just willing to overlook it due to his age and the belief it was just growing pains for a young Dman. Now that he isn't a youngster but a established NHLer it becomes harder to overlook these brain farts. Again, I have said this before as well but I firmly believe tha what we see in Edler is what we have. He will have those games where he looks like the Canucks #1 guy only to follow that up with one that makes him look like a lost puppy. Hammy and Bieksa are our #1 & #2 Dmen without question. I don't see Edler growing much more. What we see is what we have. He's still a reliable Dman and I'd say he's a Legitimate top 4 D. I don't think he'll ever be a top 2. Would love to be wrong though.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
And this is seems to be the attitude when it comes to Edler. If that was Alberts, Barker, Bieksa, or even the seldom seen Ballard, they would get lynched by our fanbase.

But because Edler has so much potential, and picks up assists on the powerplay to make his stats look good, we give him a free pass.

Someone's going to have to sit Edler down pretty soon here, and tell him he needs to pull his socks up and become the player that they signed him to be.

That's the thing, Bieksa often makes similar mistakes, maybe more. And Ballard, Alberts, and Barker don't eat up near the minutes Edler does, or face anywhere near the same competition.

Hamhuis made mistakes in last nights game, as well. People seem to give him a "free pass" quite often, as well.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
:facepalm:

Been our best all around defensemen. He is definitely effected by the multiple pairing switches over the year. AV needs to stick to one line up and let them develop some chemistry.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't think anything has happened to Edler. I have said it a few times now that these mistakes we keep seeing from him have always been there. We were all just willing to overlook it due to his age and the belief it was just growing pains for a young Dman. Now that he isn't a youngster but a established NHLer it becomes harder to overlook these brain farts. Again, I have said this before as well but I firmly believe tha what we see in Edler is what we have. He will have those games where he looks like the Canucks #1 guy only to follow that up with one that makes him look like a lost puppy. Hammy and Bieksa are our #1 & #2 Dmen without question. I don't see Edler growing much more. What we see is what we have. He's still a reliable Dman and I'd say he's a Legitimate top 4 D. I don't think he'll ever be a top 2. Would love to be wrong though.

Bieksa easily makes just as much, if not more mistakes as Edler. How does he get off the hook?

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
That's the thing, Bieksa often makes similar mistakes, maybe more. And Ballard, Alberts, and Barker don't eat up near the minutes Edler does, or face anywhere near the same competition.

Hamhuis made mistakes in last nights game, as well. People seem to give him a "free pass" quite often, as well.

But most of the time Edler's mistakes have nothing to do with anyone but himself. I'm not taking about +/- or advanced statistics or anything like that, just really dumb moves that you'd might expect from a rookie.

And I agree about Hamhuis, but at least he's shown that he can go extended periods of time playing consistently solid hockey. I'm afraid that Edler may never evolve into that guy.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
But most of the time Edler's mistakes have nothing to do with anyone but himself. I'm not taking about +/- or advanced statistics or anything like that, just really dumb moves that you'd might expect from a rookie.

And I agree about Hamhuis, but at least he's shown that he can go extended periods of time playing consistently solid hockey. I'm afraid that Edler may never evolve into that guy.

Really? Examples.

Because the one you gave was a direct result of a bad cross-ice pass right at the blue line.

Edler was extremely consistent at both ends of the ice last season, before he tweaked his back. And he's actually been pretty consistent this season, too. Mistakes will always happen from time to time.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
:facepalm:

Been our best all around defensemen. He is definitely effected by the multiple pairing switches over the year. AV needs to stick to one line up and let them develop some chemistry.

Yeah, I think this is it more than anything. The short season has screwed with some players, I think he is one of these players.

That said, I've been on the fence about this for awhile. I don't think he is ever going to be that #1 D-man that his potential suggested he'd be. He is what he is, a very good defenseman who can move the puck well, hit hard (when is the last time we've seen that though?), and play passable defense on an average night.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Bieksa easily makes just as much, if not more mistakes as Edler. How does he get off the hook?

I thought this topic was about Edler? Why are there always people like you who can never accept the truth? Edler is a fine Dman and easily a top 4 guy. I do not believe he is a top 2 guy and have my doubts as to whether he will ever be. I said I would be more than happy to be wrong but I believe it is what it is. What we see from Edler is what we have. Sooner or later you have to see a player for what he really is. In Edler's case that's a damn fine top 4 guy. I would take Bieksa over Edler any day of the week and if it is a playoff game then twice on Sundays.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Nothing 'happened'. He's always had some consistency issues...and this year, the chemistry issues and constant shuffling of the pairings has really hurt him i think. Not to mention having him swap sides in addition to all the rest of that and the rust coming off the lockout and back issues.

Gillis and AV need to get these pairings sorted out and decide who Edler's long-term partner is going to be. Whether that's Tanev, or maybe with Garrison playing respectably on the Right side, that pairing could be revisited. Or maybe it's somebody else who isn't even on the roster right now, maybe even someone in a more 'Ehrhoff mold' who can take some of the pressure off Edler to be the primary offensive catalyst for this team. But regardless of who it is...they need to get it together and let them start developing chemistry.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Yeah, I think this is it more than anything. The short season has screwed with some players, I think he is one of these players.

That said, I've been on the fence about this for awhile. I don't think he is ever going to be that #1 D-man that his potential suggested he'd be. He is what he is, a very good defenseman who can move the puck well, hit hard (when is the last time we've seen that though?), and play passable defense on an average night.

He's 26 and playing an average of 24TOI, with a season high of 28TOI? When you see the stretches good Edler, you know you just need to be patient. He's going to be a minute munching, 40 point top pairing defensemen. I don't know about you, but that's #1D.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Nothing 'happened'. He's always had some consistency issues...and this year, the chemistry issues and constant shuffling of the pairings has really hurt him i think. Not to mention having him swap sides in addition to all the rest of that and the rust coming off the lockout and back issues.

Gillis and AV need to get these pairings sorted out and decide who Edler's long-term partner is going to be. Whether that's Tanev, or maybe with Garrison playing respectably on the Right side, that pairing could be revisited. Or maybe it's somebody else who isn't even on the roster right now, maybe even someone in a more 'Ehrhoff mold' who can take some of the pressure off Edler to be the primary offensive catalyst for this team. But regardless of who it is...they need to get it together and let them start developing chemistry.

Chemistry is definitely important. Hopefully those people who are in control of those lineup decisions understand this as well and do something about it.

Ryan96

Mar 1, 2013
Vancouver
There hasn't been much consistency this year when it comes to D pairings. But I don't think that is it. He's always sort of been like this, but maybe it's due to his new contract. Maybe he feels pressured to play outstanding and it's just not happening.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He's 26 and playing an average of 24TOI, with a season high of 28TOI? When you see the stretches good Edler, you know you just need to be patient. He's going to be a minute munching, 40 point top pairing defensemen. I don't know about you, but that's #1D.

You make it sound so easy. I do hope you're correct but I have my doubts. I would happily admit to being wrong. Only time will tell.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I thought this topic was about Edler? Why are there always people like you who can never accept the truth? Edler is a fine Dman and easily a top 4 guy. I do not believe he is a top 2 guy and have my doubts as to whether he will ever be. I said I would be more than happy to be wrong but I believe it is what it is. What we see from Edler is what we have. Sooner or later you have to see a player for what he really is. In Edler's case that's a damn fine top 4 guy. I would take Bieksa over Edler any day of the week and if it is a playoff game then twice on Sundays.

These were the exact same criticisms that Lidstrom got. I'm not suggesting Edler will become a top 5 defensemen to ever play the game, but this example does demonstrate that defensemen take time to develop. There are many other defensemen that demonstrate this same point.

I don't even play hockey. However, I'm guessing becoming a good defensemen requires a lot from learning from mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad