Speculation: Alex Edler trade rumors/speculation discussion

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Still think Nyquist is overrated around these parts due to the "what if" syndrome that's rampant around these parts. Honestly would not want to see a deal with Detroit happen.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Still think Nyquist is overrated around these parts due to the "what if" syndrome that's rampant around these parts. Honestly would not want to see a deal with Detroit happen.

How come you see Nyquist as overrated? I mean, I can think of reasons, just curious as to why you think he is.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
How come you see Nyquist as overrated? I mean, I can think of reasons, just curious as to why you think he is.

Only comes from a small sample of Detroit games that I've actually watched. Unsustainable shooting percentage, loses puck battles more often than not, and that I find it harder to see him succeed in the more physical West than East; harder to find open space on the ice in the West which he thrives on based on the goals I've seen him score. Also think he's a beneficiary of playing behind Zetterberg and Datsyuk who draw the toughest assignments.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
chiassons 'struggling' because he was never that good to begin wtih

Yep and living off an unsustainable 30% shooting percentage.

Habs rumour...

Not a huge fan of Eller at this point. He is a third line center and that's it. Beyond the times he will get hot for a few weeks (like most third liners) his offensive game just doesn't seem to be there. Now the canucks need a third line center for sure but if they are trading an impact player they need an impact (or future impact) player in return. Eller isn't that guy and I'm not convinced Tinordi is.

Have to be targeting Gallagher or Galchenyuk from the habs IMO....which means no deal happens here because the habs don't move these guys. Not for Edler. I could see them moving one for Kesler though.

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

Habs rumour...

Not a huge fan of Eller at this point. He is a third line center and that's it. Beyond the times he will get hot for a few weeks (like most third liners) his offensive game just doesn't seem to be there. Now the canucks need a third line center for sure but if they are trading an impact player they need an impact (or future impact) player in return. Eller isn't that guy and I'm not convinced Tinordi is.

Have to be targeting Gallagher or Galchenyuk from the habs IMO.

What would you add to Edler to get either of those two? I'd see Galchenyuk as being significantly pricier than Gallagher. I'm not sure the Canucks have the assets to pull this off, but I have been very wrong before.

arsmaster*

On the stars broadcast last night they mentioned chiasson had strep throat and lost 15 pounds. Might be a reason for his game degrading.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
What would you add to Edler to get either of those two? I'd see Galchenyuk as being significantly pricier than Gallagher. I'm not sure the Canucks have the assets to pull this off, but I have been very wrong before.

Gallagher makes more sense than Galchenyuk.

The latter will cost way too much.

Edler for Gallagher straight up.

For Galchenyuk, we'd have to add a first or at least B level prospect.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

Habs rumour...

Have to be targeting Gallagher or Galchenyuk from the habs IMO....which means no deal happens here because the habs don't move these guys. Not for Edler. I could see them moving one for Kesler though.

Forget Gallagher. He wasn't good enough to draft, won't be dealt now. Not a fan of that fake Habs offer, but worst case scenario is Gillis gets greedy/freezes, holds onto these assets and they continue to stink/get injured. I've no confidence in him, might as well let Kevin Lowe help...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

They don't. Which is why in a quick edit I said it'd never happen. I don't see the habs as good trading partners for the canucks when it comes to the prime pieces the canucks have in Kesler and a lesser extent Edler. Lesser piece for lesser piece sure (i.e. Eller for Hansen or some such thing).

No doubt they talked other deals when the Diaz/Weise trade happened. So I'm sure there is interest in other players but given those two guys are likely untouchable that interest isn't going to manifest into a Kesler or Edler trade with them.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
A report out of Philly suggests the Flyers are looking to land both Ryan Kesler and Alex Edler. http://******/udQbO

Hope this doesn't happen. I think Kesler and Edle should be dealt separately. Value wise, I can see PHI trying to centre the deal around Couturier and not give enough value for the second asset.

If there's any chance Carolina would do a deal around Staal and Edler, that would be a good base.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I agree with BC, You get more by selling off pieces rather than together. But, if PHI is willing to go hard after them and offer up quality rather than quantity then it could be worth it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hope this doesn't happen. I think Kesler and Edle should be dealt separately. Value wise, I can see PHI trying to centre the deal around Couturier and not give enough value for the second asset.

If there's any chance Carolina would do a deal around Staal and Edler, that would be a good base.

It would have to be something like Couturier, Laughton, Morin, and two first round picks for both of them. Something ridiculous like that which I can't see Philly doing.

I don't see Carolina moving Staal. They've built their franchise around that family.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think the Habs have the futures to pull off an Edler trade, they have some nice forward prospects, and Tinordi would bring some much needed nasty to our young blueliners.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Gallagher makes more sense than Galchenyuk.

The latter will cost way too much.

Edler for Gallagher straight up.

For Galchenyuk, we'd have to add a first or at least B level prospect.

As a Hab would do Edler for Gallagher, though many Habs fans wouldn't because we love the guy.

On Galchenyuk, a 1st or B prospect plus Edler does not get you close to him. He is a guy we are hitching our future to so we could very well be over valuing him, but that's the way it is, he is pretty untouchable.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I wouldn't know what to think if he actually went the whole year without scoring...is that actually a possibility? it's starting to look like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad