Tribute Alex Edler Appreciation Thread

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Just glad he wasn't waived a few years ago for cap space. :sarcasm:

Always a class act and an honest professional. One of my all time faves. Happy he got another big payday.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Great, solid player and person. I'm sure he will come back and join the organization at some point. It looks to me like he certainly went for salary over a chance to win. I bet he only had a few destinations in mind.

Hope he gets #100 against us. I'm sure it will be deflected off Sutter's behind.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Great player. Often underappreciated at this forum. It seems that expectations were to high from the start and that turned against him.
Everyone wanted him to be peak, two-eyed Ohlund, and he wasn’t quite that (though some nights he was). He was consistently good for a very long time though, and is for now our GOAT defender.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to be glad for Edler, squeezing another year out of the NHL and $3.5m is pretty nice payday. No way the Canucks could match that.

He might have a bounce-back season in L.A. As a team, they're pretty tight defensively and he'll be playing in depth role.

Definitely one of the best d-man to ever put on the Canucks uniform. Experienced the highs and lows....from the Stanley Cup Final to the horrific Desjardin teams with the Canucks. Soldiered on and never complained.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
10 years later, the 2011 team has been completely overturned.

Edler, what a warrior. A true Canuck and the franchise's best defenceman. Shame his last season here he had to endure the dysfunction of Benning and COVID.

I'll be waiting for his ring of honour game. Until then, wishing Eagle all the best.

Reactions: vanuck

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Great player. Often underappreciated at this forum. It seems that expectations were to high from the start and that turned against him.

Hard to believe the Canucks (a franchise bereft of top defencemen) had a guy who carried a top-pair burden for almost 15 years, and for the first half of his career, he was unfairly maligned by the fanbase. He was a 3rd round pick!

Fabulous career looking back.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Can't wait for when L.A comes to play Vancouver, I think December 6th is the date?

Hopefully fans are allowed in, Edler deserves a nice video package and nice standing ovation.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
His time was done here anyways, what’s your point.
Mostly everyone knew his time was done here...it's time to move on dude.

If family thinks that LA could be a fun experience for a year or two, why not. Further there might be a limited number of contenders (as in none) who could manage or had interest in him. Things does not always turn out as expected,

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Edler was always professional and a stoic warrior for the Canucks. Expecting to see him on the ring of honor as soon as he retires.

Reactions: vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The best D-man in franchise history IMO. To me he was showing glimpses of becoming a legitimate star No. 1 defender during the first half of the 2010-11 season before that unfortunate back injury, yet still ended up turning into a very good top-pairing guy. Still mindboggling that he had to bear heavy shutdown duty so long into his thirties under the current regime, but that's not his fault.

Hope we honour him in the near future. I just wish he could've scored his 100th career goal with us, but I'd be even happier to see him win a Cup before he retires. Best of luck Eagle!

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Demko will be the one that misses Edler the most.......

demko-edler.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4