Alex DeBrincat finishes the season with the same number of goals and one more assist compared to 2022-23

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
My only issue with Debrincat, and it's not really even a complaint but rather an observation, is that he didn't capitalize on his chances as much as I was hoping/expecting him to. 27g, 40a is good production but he also had to have hit more posts than any else in the league by a mile this season. As much as he did produce, he was involved in many more scoring chances, that if he had any puck luck at all, would have significantly boosted his production.

Maybe that turns in his favor next season, maybe it doesn't, but as the saying goes with scorers, if you're getting your chances, you're doing something right.

Reactions: Ezekial

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He was also a +1 this year compared to -31 last year.

Overall he had a good season. A little disappointing after the hot start? Sure. But 67 points is 67 points and most of us would gladly take a few more ~30+~40 seasons from him.
This is who he is most years: 30 goals/70 points. Good two-way player.

Reactions: luiginb

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Are there any examples of exact the same seasons by one player?
Kirk Muller had two 37 goal, 94 points season in 80 games.
Kirk Muller Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Martin Erat had two 17 goal, 50 point seasons, albeit in different amounts of games. Had several other seasons that were close too.
Martin Erat Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Same deal with Jason Arnott, two 27 goal, 54 point seasons with different games played.
Jason Arnott Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

And Zubov 10/51.
Sergei Zubov Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Vaclav Prospal is my favourite for near misses, when he oscillated between 55 and 80 point seasons.
Vaclav Prospal (b.1975) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: Dirty Dog and alko

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm not trying to be some pie in the sky optimist with blinders on, but from the many many games I watched I wouldn't be surprised if Debrincat hits 35+ next year playing a majority of his even strength time with Larkin and Raymond, they were all very good together. I would also say he could've come close this year with a small amount of puck luck.
Our coach decided that Kane and Debrincat should be separated on the PP but not ES, when in my mind, they shouldn't have played together at ES and should play together on the PP. Debrincat/Larkin/Raymond got back together a bit too late in the season, but ended about as strong as they started.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pretty much exactly what everyone expected of him. He skates hard he just is what he is. We're all fine with him, but it's hilarious how fans of his former teams are so eager to dump on him. Says way more about you guys than it does about Debrincat.

There's definitely some back pedaling going on.

There was a lot of talk about how he would increase his production playing on a 1st line with a genuine 1st line centre as opposed to last season where he was with rookie replacement 2C Shane Pinto for the most part at even strength.

WolvesAndWings said:
So if DeBrincat goes cold it would almost certainly be do to a shooting slump, but it won't be like last year where he was both in a prolonged shooting slump AND didn't play with a center who could drive offense and create opportunities for him on a nightly basis. No offence to Pinto who obviously has room to grow, he just isn't that dude as of yet. But yeah, I don't see any sort of a slump going anywhere near as bad in the current situation as it was for him last year.

Earlier this season, you yourself felt that last year with Ottawa was a slump that was out of character with his career production.

The Red Line said:
But based on his entire career, last year's aberration would be the *small sample size results* compared to what he's done every other season, including this one.

As it turns out, none of that mattered in terms of his production which remained virtually identical. His primary point production actually went down, from 56 to 53.

Yes, his plus/minus went up 32 points (-31 to +1), but his much maligned linemate Drake Batherson went up 26 points (-35 to -9), and former rookie pivot, Shane Pinto, went up 30 points (-21 to +9).

Not sure what happened last year - sum was less than the parts I guess.

What he provides is useful but he'll only ever be a top six complementary player who runs hot and cold.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

There was a lot of talk about how he would increase his production playing on a 1st line with a genuine 1st line centre as opposed to last season where he was with rookie replacement 2C Shane Pinto for the most part at even strength.

Earlier this season, you yourself felt that last year with Ottawa was a slump that was out of character with his career production.

As it turns out, none of that mattered in terms of his production that remained virtually identical. His primary point production actually went down, from 56 to 53.

Yes, his plus/minus went up 32 points (-31 to +1), but his much maligned linemate Drake Batherson went up 26 points (-35 to -9), and rookie pivot, Shane Pinto, went up 30 points (-21 to +9).
To be fair, he played a minute less per game this year than last, and 3 mins less per game than his peak Hawks years.

Reactions: NyQuil

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
thinking detroit having my full stomage instant this time aliving to rolling manure loads. red army days gone for empty team young wide swede they took. no farmteamdepression he not must go hooked and nhl carriars road ending rout must not live.

i still wonder these very many not so good a player many time in lottery winning coming to empty team wile better a player stuck in full team and dissepears in depression farmbeerleague rout . fashinating area of hockey this. raymonds..you have lucky. next world around and you icehockeychooser and you propably playing siberia beerleague

sir avgard hockeyprofessor

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Kirk Muller had two 37 goal, 94 points season in 80 games.
Kirk Muller Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Martin Erat had two 17 goal, 50 point seasons, albeit in different amounts of games. Had several other seasons that were close too.
Martin Erat Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Same deal with Jason Arnott, two 27 goal, 54 point seasons with different games played.
Jason Arnott Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

And Zubov 10/51.
Sergei Zubov Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Vaclav Prospal is my favourite for near misses, when he oscillated between 55 and 80 point seasons.
Vaclav Prospal (b.1975) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Doin’ good work, mighty fine find there.

The cat is cool, I don’t care what no one says.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
a bit disappointing given his start. wings paid a fair price for him and kept his contrac term medium length. sens took a bath on the trade but it's good that they didnt give him that 8 year deal.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He's a really good player. Still glad we made the trade we did in Chicago, and I think we did decently well for a guy who refused to talk extension.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

As it turns out, none of that mattered in terms of his production that remained virtually identical. His primary point production actually went down, from 56 to 53.

Yes, his plus/minus went up 32 points (-31 to +1), but his much maligned linemate Drake Batherson went up 26 points (-35 to -9), and former rookie pivot, Shane Pinto, went up 30 points (-21 to +9).

Not sure what happened last year - sum was less than the parts I guess.

What he provides is useful but he'll only ever be a top six complementary player who runs hot and cold.
He was kind of better when he was with Larkin. Problem is the wings still lack center depth and had to try different things to get the team going the best as possible as a whole so they didn't always play together.

1713373702688.png

And to compare how he played with Larkin compared to Pinto:
1713374021819.png
+
1713374036009.png

(and I don't get why people are so obsessed with this guy)

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
(and I don't get why people are so obsessed with this guy)
There exists a fanbase (that shall remain unnamed) that has been psychologically damaged by the TML fanbase. Big brother/little brother syndrome on meth, crack, and steroids combined.

This fanbase has it in their heads that since Detroit has been bad a while, maybe if they try real hard they can get the jump on being the big brother in this new "rivalry". Therefore the Wings and everything that might remotely be related to their team has become an obsession. It's a bit weird, tbh.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This fanbase has it in their heads that since Detroit has been bad a while, maybe if they try real hard they can get the jump on being the big brother in this new "rivalry". Therefore the Wings and everything that might remotely be related to their team has become an obsession. It's a bit weird, tbh.

Between Montreal and Toronto, we have enough siblings in the division already before Detroit came along.

a3c564f1-d402-4035-aef6-b36b09c68592_text.gif

When Dany Heatley went to San Jose and people predicted jumps in production playing with Joe Thornton, the same thing happened when it didn't.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's a really good player. Still glad we made the trade we did in Chicago, and I think we did decently well for a guy who refused to talk extension.
Yeah the wings basically only gave up a late 1st round pick for a ~30 goal ~70 point player. Hes inconsistent sure, but at the end of the year the production was really solid. Hard to be upset at all as a wings fan, cant believe the PTSD some sens fans have. If anything, this season shows how Debrincats inconsistency was far from the problem in Ottawa

Reactions: TLEH

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Meh he's a top six winger, we needed top six wingers.

Oddly enough I think when we got Kane and stapled him to Kane it hurt his game a little bit.

Dcat-Larkin-Raymond works much better than Dcat-Larkin-Kane, Then they tried to split them up with Compher, also not great.

Dude is also captain post master, a thing I remember Sens fans saying lol.
should really be Postmaster General

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Difference is Detroit only gave up a late 1st and some scraps for him, Ottawa gave up the 7th overall pick in 2022.

I'm surprised he didn't get closer to his highs from his time in Chicago this season, but Wings fans should still feel pretty good about having him given the cost they paid for him.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad