Alex DeBrincat 1st career hat trick for Chicago vs Anaheim

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
Very surprised he wasn't drafted in the 1st round. The consensus was that he was a steal before he even played a game.

Good for him, he's been a nice fit with the Hawks.

I was very surprised he didn't go first round as well. I saw erie play in person 3 times when both he and McDavid were playing on the team and two out of the three times Debrincat looked like the better player that night. (the other time McDavid looked like the second coming and there was no doubt who was better).

Obviously with his size and skill set he would be a boom or bust player, couldnt really see him grinding it out on in the bottom six, but he certainly had first round talent all day.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He has more points than Captain Intangibles. Ironically they'll probably have to trade DeBrincat after his rookie contract ends.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He has more points than Captain Intangibles. Ironically they'll probably have to trade DeBrincat after his rookie contract ends.

You wish. Weird to bring him up considering the Saad-Toews-Panik line has done their job this season for neutralizing top lines but go ahead bring him up in a thread about a different player

saluki

Nov 18, 2017

Nah. I love him but he's not the kind of player who skips a bridge deal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I remember scratching my head watching the 2016 pre-draft shows . . . everyone had him pegged to go between like 30th and 60th. I mean the guy was coming off back to back 51 goal 100+ point seasons. Yea he had some good linemates, but watching Erie his 2nd year it was quite evident that he had elite offensive instincts. And it's not like you have to draft every player to be an independent producer - pretty much every team has a enough talent to support an elite complimentary scorer like Debrincat.

Considering the recent success of small guys before his draft (Kane winning Art Ross and Hart, Gaudreau and Panarin 6th and 9th in scoring - a 4th rounder and undrafted player who fell because of size) you would have thought teams would start learning.

But no, he's gifted to Chicago at 39, while bigger, more athletic / impressive looking guys like Max Jones went 24th. That's not a knock on Jones - I'm a big fan of his combination of speed and power. But the guy was barely a point a game player in the same league as Debrincat, who finished the season at over a goal a game and 2+ points per game. His goal per game average was almost higher than Jones's point per game average!

Projecting upside in "project" type players or in guys who "have all the tools" but haven't produced is a difficult art to begin with, but banking on said prospect to close a 2X development gap is incredibly unlikely. But that's the sort of production gap we saw between Debrincat and Jones.

It's one thing to prioritize bigger / more athletic guys who putting up numbers (Brown and Thompson), but it's downright risky to be picking guys like Jones, Tufte, McLeod, Howden, and Gauthier over a guy like Debrincat.

Debrincat is a top 20 pick in a redraft, like he should have been.

Reactions: EON

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Debrincat was who i wanted anaheim to draft with 1 of our 1st round picks... nice to see hes doing well at nhl lvl

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's crazy how much GMs still overvalue size in today's NHL. He was ranked in the early 20s and that still only was that low due to his size. He then somehow fell into second round during the actual draft.

He clearly was a talent who should have been considered in the top 10 if we assume size doesn't matter anymore. How many similar cases is it going to take until NHL GMs realize that?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He clearly was a talent who should have been considered in the top 10 if we assume size doesn't matter anymore. How many similar cases is it going to take until NHL GMs realize that?

I could be wrong but wasn't the knock on Debrincat more he was an average skater who is small rather then he is small. People might forgive the small thing if somebody makes up for it in skating, but the combo of 2 scares people away

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I could be wrong but wasn't the knock on Debrincat more he was an average skater who is small rather then he is small. People might forgive the small thing if somebody makes up for it in skating, but the combo of 2 scares people away
I think that would be the logical line of thinking, yes. I’ve heard that criticism of D-cat before, but watching him play, he’s got plenty of speed. Looking back now, all those scouting reports saying he was just an average skater kind of have me scratching my head.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

His skating is average for a first round pick, but that's still pretty good. He's pretty quick when he needs to be and has a good top speed.

I think a lot of the problem was scouts thinking that small players have to be quick with the puck and able to drive play (like a Marner). But just because we haven't seen a lot of small players playing a style like Debrincat doesn't mean he can't be successful. Gionta was always the comparison I liked because he was a small guy who was not a play driver - he made his living around the net. Debrincat is a bit like that, though he's more skilled with the puck and not as quick.

He's just one of those guys with elite instincts around the net and the hands and finish to go with it. Maybe a more docile Dino Cicarrelli?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Yeah, Debrincat,, didnt like him in juniors, but I started to cheer for him when he turned pro. Love when players proves experts wrong..

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It was enjoyable watching him in Erie. Seeing him succeed in the NHL shows it doesn't matter what your size is. If you are skilled you are skilled and that's exactly what this kid is.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Thats pretty impressive from such a young player. And yeah you can be short and still play great hockey!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the most impressive thing to me about debrincat's game is that as soon as he crosses the attacking blueline his stick never leaves the ice. it's said a lot about players to which it doesn't apply, but it's true in this case. he's always ready to shoot the puck and he's constantly trying to find dead space. he's easy to play with because he's always ready to accept passes and it's almost immediately going on net. he makes himself an easy outlet and plays in that tight space between the forwards and defense really really well. he doesn't over drive the net on the cycle and get his stick tied up by the defense. a lot of players take the "drive the net" aspect a little too literally and just clog up the lanes.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Thank god we traded Girard and Debrincat for an overpaid Shaw. Wouldn't want young talented core players.
Fortunately for the Habs, they didn’t actually trade DeBrincat. They probably wouldn’t have taken him in the draft. Rather, they likely would have taken an eventual non-NHL player.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00