Player Discussion Alex Burrows

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
why the **** wouldn't you practice before such a huge game?! Didn't we not practice before game 2 as well and lost? and then we did ahead of game 3 and won.

He's played 860 regular season games at the NHl level, numerous playoff games over the years, and he's in his mid 30's.

I trust the coach on this one. He needs rest and time to repair any injury. Burrows isn't going to play tonight, IMO.

Let him rest and get ready for Sunday if it isn't a serious injury. I'd rather have him healed and ready-to-go for game 6-7 if needed. If we were looking at inserting White, Paul, or a rookie, I would understand, but we have Wingels, Kelly, and Neil ready to go. We have some depth to play with.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Does Dorion accept that he made a mistake on Burrows? I bet he continues eating up ice time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder if there is another GM that would trade a middling level prospect for Burrows at this point or at the TDL... He would have basically only 1 full year at 2.5 and the balance of this year... So give less than we gave, and commit to less than we committed to. My guess is no. Could we get a 7th round pick for him? My guess is no.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I wonder if there is another GM that would trade a middling level prospect for Burrows at this point or at the TDL... He would have basically only 1 full year at 2.5 and the balance of this year... So give less than we gave, and commit to less than we committed to. My guess is no. Could we get a 7th round pick for him? My guess is no.

Can’t imagine we can trade him unless we throw in something else like a pick or good player. Even if he was on an expiring deal I don’t anyone would trade for him at the deadline. Better options out there.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Didn't Canuck fans say we would love him?

His best days are long gone and so is his pestiness that made him so effective

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe a buyout in the summer, but I’m not holding my breath on that.

I don't think there is cap relief buying out a 35 + contract. If we are looking for that.
The most recent understanding is that bought out 35-plus contracts do not receive a cap hit benefit, as is explained by Michael Russo. All other details of the buyout remain the same as any other buyout; therefore, what buying a 35-plus contract does do is decrease the teams salary expenses.
The buyout in terms of cash is the same as any other buyout (two-thirds of the remaining amount spread over twice the length).. So 2/3 * 2.5 * 2

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Guess what he has...? A modified NTC!!
We are just plain foolish.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Guess what he has...? A modified NTC!!
We are just plain foolish.
Yup I am aware.,.. It would cost us to trade him anyway if we found someone to take him... If we could work a deal with a team that's no where near the cap and they take on Burrows contract (assuming the team is one of the 21 eligible) It would mean we would be giving up the better piece(s) to begin with though. IMO we are stuck with him.

If When Melnyk tells Dorion to shed salary... We may see ... a move where they send (just an example) Hoffman to lets say Arizona for lets say Duclair . a trade favoring AZ but shedding salary and because of the imbalance they also take Burrows. ... It sounds like it would be a dumb move and it could be right in Dorion's wheel house.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe Burrows pulls a Jason Smith and retires with a year left on his contract. Probably not, but I can dream.

Reactions: robsenz

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe Burrows pulls a Jason Smith and retires with a year left on his contract. Probably not, but I can dream.
If the started scratching him from now to the end of the season it could happen... but I wouldn't count on it. The contract would still count against the Cap.... if it matters

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Haha yep. Have no idea how some people can defend some of these idiotic moves,
Ok so what then... We do nothing???You seem to think PD or BM had it easy trying to build a winner,while having nothing to spend???PD took a chance to try and rebuild his terrible bottom 6 it worked well last season..This year the top 6 can score to save its life,but hey lets blame the bottom 6 for not being able to carry the big names

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Picking the low hanging fruit is easy ....... and then venting on Burrows as the reason the team is in the dumpster is all too easy.

There are a number of reasons this team is where it is now.

One thing (that I thought at the time) that may have started this ball rolling, has Phaneuf refusing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft.

Everyone knew there was no way the VGK were going to select him, and this was proven during the draft when PD tried to move him, and failed ........... no one wanted his contract.

IF Phaneuf waived, I suspect someone like Wideman would have been selected ......... and our defense would have been fine, team chemistry would have been fine as well, and I think there is a lot of unspoken resentment in the locker room that blames Phaneuf for the popular Methot being left exposed.
I know a lot of people here think that Ceci should have been exposed over Methot, but luckily these people were not the GM, as these same people who berate Boucher and Dorion for favouring vets over youth, don't see the logic in protecting youth (Ceci) over a vet in Methot.

Last edited:
Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Picking the low hanging fruit is easy ....... and then venting on Burrows as the reason the team is in the dumpster is all too easy.

There are a number of reasons this team is where it is now.

One thing (that I thought at the time) that may have started this ball rolling, has Phaneuf refusing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft.

Everyone knew there was no way the VGK were going to select him, and this was proved during the draft when PM tried to move him, and failed ........... no one wants his contract.

IF Phaneuf waived, I suspect someone like Wideman would have been selected ......... and our defense would have been fine, team chemistry would have been fine as well, and I think there is a lot of unspoken resentment in the locker room that blames Phaneuf for the popular Methot being left exposed.
I know a lot of people here think that Ceci should have been exposed over Methot, but luckily these people were not the GM, as these same people who berate Boucher and Dorion for favouring vets over youth, don't see the logic in protecting youth (Ceci) over a vet in Methot.
Blaming the gm here is also far far too easy for some.It reminds me of fans blaming BM for giving both Heatley and Spezza NMC,S......Some think that negotiating is a one way street,and that the player doesnt have a say in anything....lol

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He's on pace for 15 points. Like I said last year and beginning of this year. He's a 4th liner at best. There is no way we get rid of him. Ottawa doesn't do buyouts, and no one will trade for him. So better get used to him playing. Just for the love of god keep him on the 4th line.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think someone would trade for Burrows. Cap is going up, he's a character vet, he can still play at an NHL level. Obviously overpaid but I think he would be an improvement to some contenders bottom line.

Doubt we trade him, though.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's on pace for 15 points. Like I said last year and beginning of this year. He's a 4th liner at best. There is no way we get rid of him. Ottawa doesn't do buyouts, and no one will trade for him. So better get used to him playing. Just for the love of god keep him on the 4th line.

There is a reason Ottawa doesn't do buyouts ............ they do not have the higher revenue streams that Large Markets do.

Too many people see teams, in big markets, buying out players, and assume that Ottawa can do the same. They can't.

When you compare the rates charged to advertisers and sponsors in big markets and compare them to what Ottawa can charge, you'd see the difference.

A thirty second ad on a Rangers or Leafs broadcast, brings in probably 6 to 10 times more, for a similar ad broadcast during a Sens game.

Advertisers are charged more for the number of eyeballs that watch or listen to games, and Ottawa does not attract enough eyeballs to play in the "big leagues" with the Rangers and Leafs in relationship to advertising rates.

So, please think a little when you complain that Melnyk is to cheap to buyout a contract "because other teams do it".

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Don't need to buy him out...Just waive him and suck it up, he can get 15 points in the A and make Jimmy O'Brien look good in the Ahl.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is a reason Ottawa doesn't do buyouts ............ they do not have the higher revenue streams that Large Markets do.

Too many people see teams, in big markets, buying out players, and assume that Ottawa can do the same. They can't.

When you compare the rates charged to advertisers and sponsors in big markets and compare them to what Ottawa can charge, you'd see the difference.

A thirty second ad on a Rangers or Leafs broadcast, brings in probably 6 to 10 times more, for a similar ad broadcast during a Sens game.

Advertisers are charged more for the number of eyeballs that watch or listen to games, and Ottawa does not attract enough eyeballs to play in the "big leagues" with the Rangers and Leafs in relationship to advertising rates.

So, please think a little when you complain that Melnyk is to cheap to buyout a contract "because other teams do it".

Big markets like Buffalo, Dallas, New Jersey, Florida, and Tampa....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad