Confirmed with Link: Alex BURROWS traded to Ottawa for Dahlen | Signed to speculated extension 2x2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He's almost 36 years old and isn't named Jagr. That's why he's a scrub.

If people honestly believe that a 36-38 year old player is the answer to team toughness and also will somehow miraculously play top six minutes, that sounds like this is a terrible team to begin with. And I don't think it is a terrible team.

Burrows is a small piece and could possibly help but does anyone actually believe he's going to be providing much of anything in 2018-2019? That's when this deal will really sting if Dahlen pans out. We may be watching Dahlen rack up 40 pts for $850k while Burrows is a healthy scratch for $2.5M.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I love the "what if dahlen sucks". Guys. What if burrows sucks.

I would say that Burrows is a much more known quantity then Dahlen. You are going to get grit and effort and a solid playoff performance from Burr. Dahlen may not ever play in the league - he may end up scoring 30 goals plus and be a stud. You trade a bit more of a known quantity for a team need and give up a prospect with potential. These trades happen all the time.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
It's not the end of the world. Right now, we are a better team for it. RKL is right. It's what we gave up that could potentially burn us.

Oh well. In the grand scheme, it's a good addition and we traded an unknown. We'll have to see what happens with Dahlen's progression.

In HF world, the team that won the trade is always the team who is receiving the pick or prospect and jettisoning the older player, even if he is a proven player. Everyone always wants to tear down, rebuild, and become a powerhouse dynasty "in 5 years from now", because that's apparently the only way to win. I often feel like this site thinks that if their team can't be built like the next Chicago, they might as well tank. That's just not reality. You hear it every time a team gives up a pick or prospect for a rental. "OMG their future!"

If this team is going to go for it in the next 1-3 years, this move is fine, as long as they bolster the lineup with a big trade. You can't half-ass going for it, just like you can't half-ass a rebuild (which we kinda did, hence the last 10 years).

Do you really feel this team is locked and loaded and ready to make a serious championship run? This team is improving but in no way do I think the Ottawa Senators are going to become Stanley Cup Champions in the next 1-3 years. it just seems really premature. Burrows is an old player, 20 point player who is on his last contract and I think turning 36 years old very soon. He's just a more talented Chris Neil who fights a whole lot less at this point in his career. If this was a championship caliber team I would actually be really happy with adding Burrows at age 36 to it. He's a type of veteran player who can chip in as a secondary option in some deep run to the playoffs

I think people realize you need to move pieces to get pieces but giving up a 2nd round pick for Burrows? Really? I would think that you want to keep those picks to package as a part of a deal for a much better, younger player rather than a veteran.

This is not a championship calibre team just as yet. I think they're good for winning 1 round for sure but I'm not sure how much further than that. Can we beat Pittsburgh or Washington in a 7 game series? I don;t see it. So we've proven we can beat them in a regular season game. That's all fine and good but the playoffs are a completely different animal. Or beat Chicago in some sort of epic series to shockingly win it all? I don't know, I don't see it at this point in time

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I would say that Burrows is a much more known quantity then Dahlen. You are going to get grit and effort and a solid playoff performance from Burr. Dahlen may not ever play in the league - he may end up scoring 30 goals plus and be a stud. Your trade a bit more of a known quantity for a team need and give up a prospect with potential. These trades happen all the time.

And every single time, the fanbase of the team giving up the prospect loses its collective ****.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
He's almost 36 years old and isn't named Jagr. That's why he's a scrub.

If people honestly believe that a 36-38 year old player is the answer to team toughness and also will somehow miraculously play top six minutes, that sounds like this is a terrible team to begin with. And I don't think it is a terrible team.

Burrows is a small piece and could possibly help but does anyone actually believe he's going to be providing much of anything in 2018-2019? That's when this deal will really sting if Dahlen pans out. We may be watching Dahlen rack up 40 pts for $850k while Burrows is a healthy scratch for $2.5M.

We don't know about Dahlen he could stay in Sweden we don't know.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was a little shocked at first. I have seen clips of Dahlen, the kid looks good! But at the end of the day, I like Pierre Dorion, and I like his scouting ability and his choices has served Ottawa well, just look at our lineup.

So how do I go from that one end to thinking he is a complete moron? I can't because he is the expert, not me nor any of this fanbase. Sure, we all love our prospects and judge them as an expectant parent would, overrating our prospects, but he has a job to do. Tough decisions have to be made because he wants to make the team better . And I am totally on board with that as a die hard, STH, who just renewed for next year.

Dahlen, while promising, is no sure thing. Rundblad, as Steve Lloyd pointed out, had way better numbers than Lidstrom in his last SEL year. Lazar and all other busts show that drafting is no sure thing, yet a 3 minute clip makes everyone experts here?

We are a nice team. Neil is done. He doesn't help us anymore, his ability to fight is tragic now and he just can't do anything for us. We need someone who can go toe to toe with the likes of Shaw, Kadri and Marchand. We need an edge and Burrows is hopefully it.

Listened to TSN1040 today and they were debating retiring his jersey, for pete's sake. Biggest goals in VAN history, clutch player. I think people who have watched him for 12 years will be able to give us more perspective than a 3 minute YouTube clip of Dahlen. God knows what he does outside of those clips?

The term? They are spending money and people *****...about money. Let them spend. We have space and the fans deserve it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Do you really feel this team is locked and loaded and ready to make a serious championship run? This team is improving but in no way do I think the Ottawa Senators are going to become Stanley Cup Champions in the next 1-3 years. it just seems really premature. Burrows is an old player, 20 point player who is on his last contract and I think turning 36 years old very soon. He's just a more talented Chris Neil who fights a whole lot less at this point in his career. If this was a championship caliber team I would actually be really happy with adding Burrows at age 36 to it. He's a type of veteran player who can chip in as a secondary option in some deep run to the playoffs

I think people realize you need to move pieces to get pieces but giving up a 2nd round pick for Burrows? Really? I would think that you want to keep those picks to package as a part of a deal for a much better, younger player rather than a veteran.

This is not a championship calibre team just as yet. I think they're good for winning 1 round for sure but I'm not sure how much further than that. Can we beat Pittsburgh or Washington in a 7 game series? I don;t see it. So we've proven we can beat them in a regular season game. That's all fine and good but the playoffs are a completely different animal. Or beat Chicago in some sort of epic series to shockingly win it all? I don't know, I don't see it at this point in time

I don't disagree with you. But rightly or wrongly, they have decided to go for it now. So they need to commit 100% to it.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I would give Dorion 5 years to make a significant mark on this team. If we are still the type of team we have been for a long time now ( good for winning 1 round, maybe 2 max)

The team has won 1 round in 10 years. 4 misses, 4 1st round exits and 1 win driven largely by a person sitting upstairs now.

If they win a round, it will be a big deal.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I don't disagree with you. But rightly or wrongly, they have decided to go for it now. So they need to commit 100% to it.

If PD goes out and does something courageous today/tomorrow in order to win this year or set the team up for a run next year, I will be the first to congratulate him for trying.

But right now, it just looks like he's grasping and it's unsettling. I'm going to stop criticizing until we've had a few weeks to see how this trade (or trades made soon) pan out.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would love to see a poll on this topic from just Sens fans....would have to figure it would be 95% against to 5% for the trade.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I feel like dahlen would have played a little bit of a larger part in making karlsson sign for the next 8 years than these two years of burrows will. Burrows will leave when karlssons contract is up. So I mean. we're not trying to get karlsson to sign for the next two seasons.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad