Confirmed with Link: Alex BURROWS traded to Ottawa for Dahlen | Signed to speculated extension 2x2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You need to explain your comment.

The team is not spending to the cap because it has a budget for player salaries that is below the cap. So the cap is not the issue. The issue is limited funds available to spend due to the budget, caused by being a small Canadian market team with revenues in Canadian dollars, not selling out the arena seats, and having to pay salaries in US$ in competition with other USA based teams and richer Canadian teams.

They have around $12 million in cap space for next year with what around 7 players to sign that is not a ton of room and some players might have to be let go because there up to the cap.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If that's the worst part, it likely means it was a decent deal for us...

People are really undervaluing burrows

Vancouver fans keep ravings about him and Ottawa fans keep ignoring them.

It would at least be cool to see how Burrows actually plays while here before making a decision.

He'll probably be better than Conacher. That could be a positive.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I am still meh on this trade.

It's not the end of the world. Right now, we are a better team for it. RKL is right. It's what we gave up that could potentially burn us.

Oh well. In the grand scheme, it's a good addition and we traded an unknown. We'll have to see what happens with Dahlen's progression.

In HF world, the team that won the trade is always the team who is receiving the pick or prospect and jettisoning the older player, even if he is a proven player. Everyone always wants to tear down, rebuild, and become a powerhouse dynasty "in 5 years from now", because that's apparently the only way to win. I often feel like this site thinks that if their team can't be built like the next Chicago, they might as well tank. That's just not reality. You hear it every time a team gives up a pick or prospect for a rental. "OMG their future!"

If this team is going to go for it in the next 1-3 years, this move is fine, as long as they bolster the lineup with a big trade. You can't half-ass going for it, just like you can't half-ass a rebuild (which we kinda did, hence the last 10 years).

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If this team is going to go for it in the next 1-3 years, this move is fine, as long as they bolster the lineup with a big trade. You can't half-ass going for it, just like you can't half-ass a rebuild (which we kinda did, hence the last 10 years).

This is my exact feeling. Don't hate this move if we make other moves to give us a legit shot.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I would give Dorion 5 years to make a significant mark on this team. If we are still the type of team we have been for a long time now ( good for winning 1 round, maybe 2 max) then I think it's time we clear out the front office and bring in some hockey people from outside the organization to give a new perspective to the direction of this team.

The mentality just seems so old and stale and it just seems like Dorion is adopting the same type of mentality Murray did. It just seems more of the same and nothing really different

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Every team has true prospects.

dwight.jpg

:sarcasm:

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd say the Zibanejad trade is in the same category.

Even pre-injury Rangers fans said they saw what we saw. Zibby went on a tear and then disappeared.

Brass hasn't been the greatest for us, but has been better in the last couple months.

I think it's similar in the sense that you're trading a player with more potential for a player who is better today - I definitely see that.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing though. If Zibby stays inconsistent and Dahlen doesn't develop into a top 6 F then it's not like the end result was as bad as people are making it seem.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
As a depth forward,watching Lazar.Paul and Puemple not be able to push him into the pressbox.Said exactly why we needed better bottom 6 guys .As much as its hard to admit Wingles and Burrows are a 100 times better than what we had going for the last 2 months.A 3 line team with no help from the 4th line:nod:

Taking young players that were drafted due to their offensive skills and then playing them in 3rd and 4th line roles is likely not going to end well for the kids.

In addition signing players like Neil and Kelly to 1-way deals, as well as signing coach favorites in Pyatt and Blunden, weren't truly creating opportunities for the youth either.

Can you even imagine Mariner being asked to play a 4th line checking role with Neil and Kelly and being successful?

If the Sens had drafted him that was likely to be his future role!

Fact is if all these kids were failures then is it fair to say Dorion was way overrated as a Head Scout and talent evaluator and never should have been given the GM role?

Regardless of how anyone answers this question, the Senators now have an average age of 27.2 (including their youngest players Lazar and Claesson) and really aren't looking like contenders.

So while experience can be an asset, age doesn't equal quality and remembering what a young Neil, Kelly or Burrows accomplished doesn't change their current reality.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would give Dorion 5 years to make a significant mark on this team. If we are still the type of team we have been for a long time now ( good for winning 1 round, maybe 2 max) then I think it's time we clear out the front office and bring in some hockey people from outside the organization to give a new perspective to the direction of this team.

The mentality just seems so old and stale and it just seems like Dorion is adopting the same type of mentality Murray did. It just seems more of the same and nothing really different

Bryan Murray would never make a deal like this. First of all Burrows is not a Murray type of player, second of all Bryan sculpts the team in his vision not the coachs. Boucher wanted Burrows and Dorion brought his world class negotiating skills to the table. Then everyone hugged him and shook his hand after he made the deal.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Adding Burrows is subtraction by addition.

Dorion added a player but devalued the Sens stock's net worth

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Even pre-injury Rangers fans said they saw what we saw. Zibby went on a tear and then disappeared.

Brass hasn't been the greatest for us, but has been better in the last couple months.

I think it's similar in the sense that you're trading a player with more potential for a player who is better today - I definitely see that.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing though. If Zibby stays inconsistent and Dahlen doesn't develop into a top 6 F then it's not like the end result was as bad as people are making it seem.

The difference with Zibanejad and Brassard is Zibby would always leave you wanting more but thats because he showed flashes of elite ability. Brassard doesnt show flashes, he doesnt create offense on his own. Sure Brassard works harder consistently but there is no elite offensive ability in his arsenal. Zibanejad can make plays. This is where the pro scouting has to be better, if you are giving up an asset like Zibanejad for a more polished player that player better have elite ability on the same level.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The difference with Zibanejad and Brassard is Zibby would always leave you wanting more but thats because he showed flashes of elite ability. Brassard doesnt show flashes, he doesnt create offense on his own sure he works harder consistently but there is no elite offensive ability in his arsenal. Zibanejad can make plays. This is where the pro scouting has to be better, if you are giving up an asset like Zibanejad for a more polished player that player better have elite ability on the same level.

The knock on Zibby is his condition and he floats and shows signs of being not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad