Confirmed with Link: Alex Biega signs new 1 year 1-way Contract

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
St Louis is right up to the cap and if they want to resign Pieterangelo they may have to move some bodies. I would expect he would sign for 9 million a year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Krug's long-term partner would be Seider and honestly I could see it happening early on in next year. Carlo was actually a name a lot of people liked for Seider entering the draft. I am a big Carlo fan so saying that with more offense is a really good player. I think it is a natural partnership and you hope McIsaac can become a stabilizing force with Hronek, with DK holding that role until he is ready, though I think DK winds up in Seattle at this point.

Lindstrom and Cholowski will fight for last protection in a scenario where we sign Krug with Hronek protected as well. I could see Cholowski being dealt at this point as soon as this summer, we will see. I think he should probably start in GR no matter what, let's try this a different way next year. Still I protect Lindstrom before DeKeyser as I don't really believe in extending him beyond this deal unless the terms is pretty short and his money comes down. You could even do that after his one year in Seattle.

I don't mind signing Biega, he is a fine 7 that should clear if we need to put someone in the AHL. I do wonder if this is bad news for Bowey.

I'm sorta expecting a blueline of

Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Seider
???-Bowey
Biega

and we try to pull a pump and dump with Bowey.

Reactions: 14ari13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lindstrom deserves to be in there

He might, but I'm not sure next year is going to start as a season where the guys who deserve to be there are going to be the ones getting spots. Maybe seider will start the year in GR and Lindstrom will get that spot, but I think we're going to see Yzerman still trying to build some value in different pieces to dump off before moving some of the longer term pieces into place. I think Ras and Veleno are in GR to start next year, too. And outside of Lafreniere, I'm not really expecting anyone we pick to be on the team out of camp, either.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So what figure are you putting on Brodie? If you're saying he gets $6M x 6 yrs from another team THEN WHAT IS YOUR FIGURE?

He's not signing with the Wings for less.
I already stated what I'd like/love $4.75x4. However,factoring in bidders...

If SY can sell him on O6 team, Red Bird, LCA, Wings Org., upcoming/young team, big role, maybe a NTC for the majority of his deal & get him to sign b/w $4.9-$5.5 x 4-5yrs I could live with that. If SY really likes him & does $6x5yr, I'd stand by SY's decision. After that $/term, no thanks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I already stated what I'd like/love $4.75x4. However,factoring in bidders...

If SY can sell him on O6 team, Red Bird, LCA, Wings Org., upcoming/young team, big role, maybe a NTC for the majority of his deal & get him to sign b/w $4.9-$5.5 x 4-5yrs I could live with that. If SY really likes him & does $6x5yr, I'd stand by SY's decision. After that $/term, no thanks.
LOL, so he's probably gonna get $6M x 6 from another team but he's gonna take a discount to play with the league's worst team. WHy don;t we try that with Pietro and Krug instead then.

Your logic is absurd dude.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
LOL, so he's probably gonna get $6M x 6 from another team but he's gonna take a discount to play with the league's worst team. WHy don;t we try that with Pietro and Krug instead then.

Your logic is absurd dude.
Thanks for your input "Wise one". Re: "absurd logic", you stated: "sign soon to be 38 yr .old Greene", yet "soon to be 30 Brodie is past his prime"! Contradict yourself much? This will be my last post regarding this particular debate with you, I've already wasted enough of my time on it.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Watch the highlights of his first Calgary game with us. He made Lucic look like an all-star again. His size is a huge disadvantage against certain players.

He was so bad in that game, I've never really trusted him since.

One game tainted your opinion of him that badly? He's been one of the better, more consistent members of our defensive flaming dumpster, and for the price, seems like a no-brainer.

Also, just say no to Krug. Or Greene. Or Brodie. And for the love of God, don't qualify Bowey. DeKeyser, Nemeth, and Biega (and to a lesser extent Hronek) have enough experience at this point. If SFY can bring in another solid veteran, cool, but that just means someone gets bumped.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
And for the love of God, don't qualify Bowey.

The silver lining with qualifying Bowey is that his QO can be a two-way since he cleared waivers.

I would guess that since the Wings are still limited on warm bodies for D at the NHL level for next year, he comes back at a bury-able cap hit and starts the year with a leash that goes about 3 feet from the press box, and 5 feet from waivers and GR.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when SY is negotiating Bowey's next contract and the agent points out that Bowey leads the teams D in even strength points/60. :help::help:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There has to be those certain players (RFAs or signed) with certain amounts of NHL games available for expansion draft. I think Bowey could be needed to fill that clause.

I'm fine on re-sgining him, and/or if Yzerman could use him as a trade bait later.

Reactions: waltdetroit

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
As far as Biega, this was a smart move. It was also very easy and low risk. It's an inexpensive body to fill out the D who is disposable at that price, with no commitment. The real work starts when Yzerman negotiates with Bert, Fabbri and Mantha. There are some other RFAs that require a tougher judgement call. We don't have all that many contracts on the books for next season, and I think all the dead money except Zetterberg falls off (granted we still have several bad contracts to deal with, but at least those players are still playing). There's a ton of freedom, and choices to be made.

Krug has played most with Brandon Carlo on last years. Before that is was Adam McQuaid.

So big-sized stay-at-home righty.

We don't have that kind of guy yet, but maybe Biega works for start. Lindström could be developed for that on long-run.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Krug - Lindström
Nemeth - Seider
-----------
7th Biega/Bowey

This would be fun to see. I think the partners would compliment each other very well.

Cholowski becomes a trade bait in this scenario. Krug would be all we hope Cholowski to be.

McIsaac takes a future role from either DeKeyser or Nemeth.

I think regardless of whether we sign Krug or some other D, Cholo has become trade bait. The writing is on the wall. Like AA, he is not taking advice to heart and adapting his game. He's doing the same things now as he did a year ago. I think Yzerman moves Cholo at the draft or possibly over the summer. I definitely don't think he's on the roster at the time of the expansion draft.

Taking your D pairing thinking a but further, I believe Seider starts on the 2nd pair or remains in GR until he's ready for that kind of role. He'd make a great partner for a Krug type player. If we were a playoff team then sure, we break him in on the 3rd pairing. But in our case we're not so concerned with the team's performance and more focused on developing players. The best way to groom Seider to be a big minute eater is to start out playing him in all situations. He'll make more mistakes that way for sure, but he'll hopefully learn as he goes.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Brodie is one of the most underrated players of the last half decade, and it would be an absolute game changer if we could bring him in at whatever price.

He would be good for our record and good for the development and ice-time of Hronek/Seider/Cholowski/Lindstrom.

Tons more value in Brodie than any other defensemen on the market.

Congrats to Biega. Hopefully the stability he's bringing will allow us to pursue Brodie.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
The writing is on the wall. Like AA, he is not taking advice to heart and adapting his game. He's doing the same things now as he did a year ago. I think Yzerman moves Cholo at the draft or possibly over the summer. I definitely don't think he's on the roster at the time of the expansion draft.

There is no comparison between Cholowski's IQ and trajectory and AA's imo.

If the Red Wings abort his development after derailing it themselves and not offering any controls to their experiments, it's an indictment of them, not the player, imo.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
There is no comparison between Cholowski's IQ and trajectory and AA's imo.

If the Red Wings abort his development after derailing it themselves and not offering any controls to their experiments, it's an indictment of them, not the player, imo.

I disagree. Part of developing a player is giving them feedback. Constructive criticism is one of the best ways to improve at something. Smart players take that in and then make adjustments to their game. If someone doesn't heed the advice and keeps doing the same things over and over, then you cut bait. This ends many a prospect's journey to becoming a pro.

That's the similarity between AA and Cholo. Both of them got feedback and were told what things to work on to improve their respective games. Neither has taken the advice. AA is gone already, Cholo is next in my view.

Contrast this with Zadina. I was an outspoken critic of his during camp and the preseason. To me, it looked like he would never "get it" was destined to be a AAAA type of player - too good for the AHL, but not good enough to make it in the NHL. He kept doing things like getting the puck along the boards at about the faceoff dot and trying to skate it to the net. That worked for him in juniors, but in both the NHL and AHL he was getting stopped cold in his tracks and just turning the puck over.

Zadina did something about it, though. He simplified his game and started making much smarter decisions. He's gotten a better feel for when to take chances and when to make a pass, which passes to make, and when to shoot. Just watching him the few weeks before he was injured, the contrast to what he was doing in September and October was huge.

Maybe Cholo has a revelation and shows some growth. It is possible. I tend to think it is more likely he's shipped out, though. His value as a first round pick is only going to hold so long before he becomes a full on reclamation project.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. Part of developing a player is giving them feedback. Constructive criticism is one of the best ways to improve at something. Smart players take that in and then make adjustments to their game. If someone doesn't heed the advice and keeps doing the same things over and over, then you cut bait. This ends many a prospect's journey to becoming a pro.

That's the similarity between AA and Cholo. Both of them got feedback and were told what things to work on to improve their respective games. Neither has taken the advice. AA is gone already, Cholo is next in my view.

Contrast this with Zadina. I was an outspoken critic of his during camp and the preseason. To me, it looked like he would never "get it" was destined to be a AAAA type of player - too good for the AHL, but not good enough to make it in the NHL. He kept doing things like getting the puck along the boards at about the faceoff dot and trying to skate it to the net. That worked for him in juniors, but in both the NHL and AHL he was getting stopped cold in his tracks and just turning the puck over.

Zadina did something about it, though. He simplified his game and started making much smarter decisions. He's gotten a better feel for when to take chances and when to make a pass, which passes to make, and when to shoot. Just watching him the few weeks before he was injured, the contrast to what he was doing in September and October was huge.

Maybe Cholo has a revelation and shows some growth. It is possible. I tend to think it is more likely he's shipped out, though. His value as a first round pick is only going to hold so long before he becomes a full on reclamation project.

If this is our development philosophy, we will miss out on a lot of natural, instinctive, high IQ players.

Telling a one dimensional player to work on his skills in a vacuum(Cleary, Holmstrom, Draper, Lindstrom, Nemeth, DDK etc etc) can be really fruitful. But taking a player like Cholowski, and never giving him an opportunity to establish his strengths, while insisting on him addressing his weaknesses in a vacuum, before even being given the opportunity to employ/experience trial and error, is a self aggrandizing and self fulfilling prophecy imo.

Getting beat 1 on 1 after your busride is not a player refusing to take direction. And playing only o-zone starts with Perlini and Nielson is not a good barometer for how the player would look in the top 4 in the future. If we ship Cholowski out before even trying him out, it would be a dangerous precedent to set.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
If this is our development philosophy, we will miss out on a lot of natural, instinctive, high IQ players.

Telling a one dimensional player to work on his skills in a vacuum(Cleary, Holmstrom, Draper, Lindstrom, Nemeth, DDK etc etc) can be really fruitful. But taking a player like Cholowski, and never giving him an opportunity to establish his strengths, while insisting on him addressing his weaknesses in a vacuum, before even being given the opportunity to employ/experience trial and error, is a self aggrandizing and self fulfilling prophecy imo.

Getting beat 1 on 1 after your busride is not a player refusing to take direction. And playing only o-zone starts with Perlini and Nielson is not a good barometer for how the player would look in the top 4 in the future. If we ship Cholowski out before even trying him out, it would be a dangerous precedent to set.

You're setting up a strawman there. Cholo started both last season and this season in the NHL. He has in fact been given multiple tryouts. It was not as if he played 10 or 20 games last season before being sent down, either. He saw 52 games of NHL action. This season he was sent down earlier, in mid-December. He got less of a look because the progress the team was looking for was not there. He is not an NHL ready d-man. He's too soft and passive, and other teams are readily exploiting the holes in his game.

Look, the basic problem with Cholowski is that if he can't play competently in his own zone then he simply cannot play at the NHL level. There's no giving him a chance to put up points on the PP and sheltering him from all other aspects of the job, beyond what was already attempted. If it were that easy then Hirose would still be here and he'd be logging 7 minutes a night, almost all on the PP. Hirose, along with Cholo, have been among our best players on the PP. Being an NHL player means meeting a minimum set of standards. Until Cholo achieves that, he's going to be on the outside looking in, as is Hirose. Cholo has already gotten two good looks and a second chance. How many more chances will he receive? I get the feeling that after two years of stagnation, the team is ready to move on. Depending on how much offense Seider is able to bite off there may not even be a need for Cholowski, anyway.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for your input "Wise one". Re: "absurd logic", you stated: "sign soon to be 38 yr .old Greene", yet "soon to be 30 Brodie is past his prime"! Contradict yourself much? This will be my last post regarding this particular debate with you, I've already wasted enough of my time on it.
Did I contradict myself? Did I say Greene was a spring chicken? Of course Andy is past his prime. So far past it that he'd probably be willing to sign a short term deal, 1 or 2 year. Plus being a local, the team could offer him extra incentive like a post retirement job in the front office.

The problem with Brodie is you're signing someone past his prime to a long term deal.

Regardless, none of them are signing with the Wings without extra incentive. That's where your logic is flawed. Your posts are more wishful thinking than anything....

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
One game tainted your opinion of him that badly? He's been one of the better, more consistent members of our defensive flaming dumpster, and for the price, seems like a no-brainer.

Also, just say no to Krug. Or Greene. Or Brodie. And for the love of God, don't qualify Bowey. DeKeyser, Nemeth, and Biega (and to a lesser extent Hronek) have enough experience at this point. If SFY can bring in another solid veteran, cool, but that just means someone gets bumped.
Yes, it was ugly. It's gonna take a while before Biega gets my trust.

How many games do you think Dekeyser is going to play next season after having back surgery? I'll bet that Greene plays more games, regardless of which team he winds up on. The team needs another LHD, anyone of NHL caliber suits me fine, doesn't have to be Greene or Krug. Just do not want to see an AHL D next season. A low level NHL D would be an upgrade.

It really inhibits development for forwards if the team is stuck in the D zone or if the forwards have to cover down low because the D can't. Often times there's nobody there for an outlet pass, and the Ericsson pitchfork is starting to become way too popular with all of the players.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
I find it sad that people are already giving up on Cholowski.

Dude just turned 22.

Lindstrom will be 22 in October and everyone is penciling him in as a mainstay.

If you'll remember, Cholowski started off strong as well.

Give me a f***ing break.

First round picks have a different set of expectations and timelines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad