Confirmed with Link: Alex Biega signs new 1 year 1-way Contract

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I do not see the point in bringing him back. But it is the league minimum, isn't it? So then it is ok.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No issue with this. He’s a fine #7 guy who will play plenty on our extremely bad team.
God I hope not. Lindstrom is still on the team, hopefully Seider is up as well.

WIngs need to pick up a UFA LHD, like Andy Greene, hope DDK can play, and we have something that resembles a low end NHL D. I'd rather not have any AHL D next season, even if we have to overpay UFA D for short term contracts. Having an AHL D is really hampering development, way too much time in our D zone chasing pucks like Mites.

Reactions: 14ari13

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I have no issues with this.
Cheap, short term, does not need protection for the draft and could be flipped at the next TDL.
Good signing.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Good signing.

Next season Ericsson will be gone, Daley will be gone, Bowey hopefully won't be re-signed as an RFA, Dekeyser will probably be injured. There will be plenty of ice time to go around.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
You need someone to sit in the press box as your 7th D-man who can play here and there and I would rather that spot go to a guy like Biega then a kid.

So I'm guessing that means our top 6 is DD, Hronek, Chowolski, Lindstrom, Nemeth, and UFA to be named later? Beiga is our 7th, Bowey is let go, and Seider starts the season in the AHL?

Reactions: 14ari13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
*UFA?-Hronek
DDK-*/Seider?
Nemeth-Lindstrom
Biega

guessing this means Cholo starts in GR (definitely needs more seasoning) & Bowey starts in GR/traded. Could also mean they want Seider in GR for some/most/all of '20-'21, & Bowey as a placeholder.,which would suck. Bowey as 6/7 for 1 yr is ok. I think *Brodie makes a lot of sense, can play either side, LHS & prefers the RD side.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
*UFA?-Hronek
DDK-*/Seider?
Nemeth-Lindstrom
Biega

guessing this means Cholo starts in GR (definitely needs more seasoning) & Bowey starts in GR/traded. Could also mean they want Seider in GR for some/most/all of '20-'21, & Bowey as a placeholder.,which would suck. Bowey as 6/7 for 1 yr is ok. I think *Brodie makes a lot of sense, can play either side, LHS & prefers the RD side.
The question is why would any LHD want to sign with the Wings? His market value is going to be around $5M x 6 yr for what amounts to a second pair D who's already past his prime. Overpaying on top of that isn't going to be a good long term move.

I'd rather have a stop gap like Andy Greene who'll sign a shorter contract because he's old (37). He has a house 20 miles south of LCA in Trenton, so he's got a reason to sign here. I'd imagine he'd want to foster a relationship with the Wings so he has a retirement job as well. Not to mention it would probably make him more popular with the neighbors and his 2 kids would be the most popular kids in school.... I think it's the best option I see, though he might want a 2 year contract since we'll more than likely be bidding against Lou, who has a long history with Andy.

EDit: And I'd really like to see Bowey as a forward before we give up on him. He's got more up side than Erne or Perlini, and he's right handed.

Reactions: kliq

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would as well, but Blashill doesn't seem to like to take chances like that.
He's already cleared waivers once, maybe they can try it in GR. It's really up to Stevie, not Blash.

Bowey has more scoring capability than Erne, Perlini, Ehn, and Abby combined. I'm not sure why any of those guys get ice time. At least Bowey can shoot, and every now and then gets it on net.

I watch the Caps and every line can score, this team needs to get rid of all the dead weight regardless of age or role.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The question is why would any LHD want to sign with the Wings? His market value is going to be around $5M x 6 yr for what amounts to a second pair D who's already past his prime. Overpaying on top of that isn't going to be a good long term move.

I'd rather have a stop gap like Andy Greene who'll sign a shorter contract because he's old (37). He has a house 20 miles south of LCA in Trenton, so he's got a reason to sign here. I'd imagine he'd want to foster a relationship with the Wings so he has a retirement job as well. Not to mention it would probably make him more popular with the neighbors and his 2 kids would be the most popular kids in school.... I think it's the best option I see, though he might want a 2 year contract since we'll more than likely be bidding against Lou, who has a long history with Andy.

EDit: And I'd really like to see Bowey as a forward before we give up on him. He's got more up side than Erne or Perlini, and he's right handed.

I respectfully agree to disagree, I'd rather have Brodie AINEC, even though he turns 30 in June, so we should get 4+ years of good value. $5M is easily mkt. for a #3, he has versatility & way younger, but "past his prime" according to you & yet you wanna sign Greene who turns 38 in Oct.! I get the stop-gap mentality, but at some pt., we gotta build otherwise Mantha/Bert/Fabbri/Larkin/Hronek & eventually Seider/Zadina & the kids are gonna want out. We need a #1LD, or at least #2LD, if we strike out on $8M+ Krug, #3 LHS/RD Brodie is a very good option.

Also who cares where Andy Greene gets a retirement job, who is he to the Wings org.? Just b/c he has roots in MI.... Kenny is that you? The Bolded part=WGAF?

I only agree to give Bowey a shot at F, but we're already looking at a log jam, couldn't hurt.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
*UFA?-Hronek
DDK-*/Seider?
Nemeth-Lindstrom
Biega

How much longer is he Waivers-Exempt?

Biega has been largely pretty bad this year, so him being resigned isn't terribly exciting.

To be fair, he's a good 7th d-man who is being used as a top 4 guy on a bad team. That combination is pretty much a guarantee to look bad at times.

Reactions: lilidk

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Good signing.

Next season Ericsson will be gone, Daley will be gone, Bowey hopefully won't be re-signed as an RFA, Dekeyser will probably be injured. There will be plenty of ice time to go around.
Why do you think DeKeyser will be injured?
You need someone to sit in the press box as your 7th D-man who can play here and there and I would rather that spot go to a guy like Biega then a kid.

So I'm guessing that means our top 6 is DD, Hronek, Chowolski, Lindstrom, Nemeth, and UFA to be named later? Beiga is our 7th, Bowey is let go, and Seider starts the season in the AHL?
#7 is just fine. He is a great skater, he can be physical, but it does not help much as he is very small, and he has zero offence.

I believe Seider starts in AHL.
*UFA?-Hronek
DDK-*/Seider?
Nemeth-Lindstrom
Biega

I think Cholo starts in AHL and go from there.
Can Bowey be sent down? He has some offense. I do not want to give up on him yet.
I respectfully agree to disagree, I'd rather have Brodie AINEC, even though he turns 30 in June, so we should get 4+ years of good value. $5M is easily mkt. for a #3, he has versatility & way younger, but "past his prime" according to you & yet you wanna sign Greene who turns 38 in Oct.! I get the stop-gap mentality, but at some pt., we gotta build otherwise Mantha/Bert/Fabbri/Larkin/Hronek & eventually Seider/Zadina & the kids are gonna want out. We need a #1LD, or at least #2LD, if we strike out on $8M+ Krug, #3 LHS/RD Brodie is a very good option.

Also who cares where Andy Greene gets a retirement job, who is he to the Wings org.? Just b/c he has roots in MI.... Kenny is that you? The Bolded part=WGAF?

I only agree to give Bowey a shot at F, but we're already looking at a log jam, couldn't hurt.

I am not very fond of overpaying for players. We have several bad, very bad contracts.
If we have to overpay I would rather overpay for a goalie than a defenceman. I think we have to use the stop gap deal for 1-2 seasons.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How much longer is he Waivers-Exempt?

To be fair, he's a good 7th d-man who is being used as a top 4 guy on a bad team. That combination is pretty much a guarantee to look bad at times.

I agree he can be ok to throw out there 10-30 games at 10-12 minutes, but the problem is, unless we bring in a true top 4 in UFA, he will be playing more than that almost guaranteed. First there will be injuries and while we would expect Seider to play regularly next season, he will still be a rookie, so you don't want to overwhelm him with too many minutes, as that will be a recipe for development disaster. Also him getting resigned, means Bowey will probably get another contract as well, which I absolutely don't want as he is a train wreck of bad decision making. That would leave us with basically the same blue line as we currently have minus Daley and Ericsson. If Bowey gets resigned I think next year will be almost as long as this year has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad