Confirmed with Link: Alex Belzile 1year 2 way

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
They should be smarter about the contracts and not sign crap like Waked, Nevins, Lefebvre, Mayer, Masse, etc... But I would rather they take a shot on a 20 year old vs a 28 year old that has 2 full seasons in the AHL at 26 and 27. Granted it's a case by case basis, but to me there's zero reason to sign Belzile to an NHL contract as you lose nothing if he walks.

Would you rather sign Tyszka or Belzile?

I would take Tyszka if we are talking about an NHL contract. My problem is with how they constantly cheap out on spending for the AHL team. If they wanted Belzile since he doesn't count as one of the veteran spots, you offer him the deal he just signed now with 200k guaranteed, or an AHL only deal for 400k guaranteed. If they don't spend, they will never get the top free-agents who can actually help the team in Laval. They seem to only sign vets that somehow get into the Montreal line-up or traded, leaving Laval dry. Instead they need to find and sign guys who are paid handsomely to spend the year in Laval.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
FWIW I think Peca would have cleared with his contract. The others had appealing qualities compared to him.
I think that was the plan initially hence the two year contract at that cap hit. His making the team was unexpected and messed things up.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
I think that was the plan initially hence the two year contract at that cap hit. His making the team was unexpected and messed things up.

The reason he got that contract is that there was quite a few teams after him, hard to get a UFA player cheap if there is more than 1 team interested.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes but Belzile does not count as a vet, so you can still sign Carr and Terry.

If you actually believe that Peca or Hudon would have cleared waivers last year, you are kidding yourself, Agostino, Scherbak, and DLR didn't clear.

Scherbak was likely only picked due to being a 1st round pick, DLR is a solid 4th liner imo and Agostino I was a bit surprised but perhaps NJ needed a body or felt he can be an NHLer. Peca due to his contract I think he would have cleared for sure and if not what's the harm for us? Hudon is a tough one, I sure as hell hope they felt he wouldn't clear as he would have been a great add for Laval. He was really terrible though so I would think it would come down to a team thinking they can get him to be more of what he was in his rookie year. But they also see that his skating, foot speed, size and strength are not NHL level so perhaps he would have cleared. We'll see what the Habs do with him. I've been one of Hudon's biggest supporters on this board and still think he could be an NHLer but only if he can get quicker.

I would take Tyszka if we are talking about an NHL contract. My problem is with how they constantly cheap out on spending for the AHL team. If they wanted Belzile since he doesn't count as one of the veteran spots, you offer him the deal he just signed now with 200k guaranteed, or an AHL only deal for 400k guaranteed. If they don't spend, they will never get the top free-agents who can actually help the team in Laval. They seem to only sign vets that somehow get into the Montreal line-up or traded, leaving Laval dry. Instead they need to find and sign guys who are paid handsomely to spend the year in Laval.

They have spent money in the past, Froese (250K last year/650K this year), Terry (650K), Agostino (250K) etc... but called up or traded all the scoring vets and didn't replace them. We'll see what they do this year as hopefully having Laval in the playoffs is a priority. I would have signed Belzile to a the 250K or more as who cares since it's an AHL deal and doesn't impact the 50 limit.

If he plays another season like that, he could play some games with the habs next season

But that likely won't matter much in the grand scheme of things. I don't mean to say that just because we sign Belzile that we won't or can't sign Walford and or Tyszka, my point is just that there doesn't appear to be a big need for it while they could have used Belzile's spot to go to someone with more of a possible future with the Habs and not just he'll help us win a few games maybe. Perhaps he ends up being better then that but at 28 it would be a surprise.

At the end of the day I just wish they had signed both Walford and Tyszka, but I also know they are long shots and not likely to impact the Habs future ala Matt Bradley who many weren't happy they didn't sign since we also had a need at the time for centers like we do with LD's now but it's not looking like not signing Bradley will hurt us at all but we wouldn't be Hab fans if we didn't complain over the little moves.

Reactions: bryan1966

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad