Confirmed with Link: Alex Belzile 1year 2 way

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
1 year deal. I dont mind it, its wishful thinking to assume that he would have signed another AHL deal. With the season he had, he would have received an NHL contract elsewhere.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
:vhappy: So happy he's back. Expected an AHL deal but I'm fine with this.

I was hoping for an AHL deal also, so we could save a contract on our 50 limit. But he's valuable as an AHL player because he does not count as a vet.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
why did he deserve a contract? Do you think other NHL teams were trying to sign a soon to be 28 year old that before this past season had never played more then 61 games in the AHL in a season.
I get what you're saying but without doing research I would assume 85% of the AHL's top 50 scorers have a contract.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I get what you're saying but without doing research I would assume 85% of the AHL's top 50 scorers have a contract.

I'd have to look it up, but what would they lose if he signed somewhere else, at 28 it's not like he much if any NHL upside. I'd rather sign someone like Terry or Carr and pay them a Peca like contract, they are much better AHLers.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'd have to look it up, but what would they lose if he signed somewhere else, at 28 it's not like he much if any NHL upside. I'd rather sign someone like Terry or Carr and pay them a Peca like contract, they are much better AHLers.
I dont necessarily disagree with you, but hes kind of a rare commodity with the fact that he wont count as a vet in the AHL.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
why did he deserve a contract? Do you think other NHL teams were trying to sign a soon to be 28 year old that before this past season had never played more then 61 games in the AHL in a season.

He is Laval's leading scorer and MVP. If he doesn't deserve an NHL contract, arguably no one on the current Rocket roster deserves one.

Now, could it have been possible for Montreal to retain Belzile in Laval without using a contract spot? Maybe! However, it seems like the Habs didn't want to take any risk.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He is Laval's leading scorer and MVP. If he doesn't deserve an NHL contract, no one on the current Rocket roster deserves one.

Now, could it have been possible for Montreal to Belzile him in Laval without using a contract spot? Maybe! However, it seems like the Habs didn't want to take any risk.

mvp? not sure I agree, but I couldn't name one player, it was the defense that carried that team.

But there's no one for sure on Laval's team I would consider giving an NHL contract to that didn't already have it. He's going to be in his age 28 season, what does he bring over someone like Tyszka/Walford or some undrafted FA from the NCAA/CHL. At least with them you have some hope that they will improve, at 28 it's not like you expect Belzile to be any better.

I don't see why the Habs felt it would be too risky to have him on an AHL contract but then again they have done a terrible job managing Laval so no surprise they would continue to suck at it.

Reactions: bryan1966

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
mvp? not sure I agree, but I couldn't name one player, it was the defense that carried that team.

But there's no one for sure on Laval's team I would consider giving an NHL contract to that didn't already have it. He's going to be in his age 28 season, what does he bring over someone like Tyszka/Walford or some undrafted FA from the NCAA/CHL. At least with them you have some hope that they will improve, at 28 it's not like you expect Belzile to be any better.

I don't see why the Habs felt it would be too risky to have him on an AHL contract but then again they have done a terrible job managing Laval so no surprise they would continue to suck at it.
I get a feeling that with the exception of the legitimate prospects on ELCs, they finally realized it is a mistake signing guys for 3 years when you can find more experienced ones that you can get on 1 or 2 year deals and part ways if it doesn't work out. They are still RFAs if you choose to keep them. The Wakeds and Alains taking contract spots for 3 years is horrible management of your 50 contracts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I get a feeling that with the exception of the legitimate prospects on ELCs, they finally realized it is a mistake signing guys for 3 years when you can find more experienced ones that you can get on 1 or 2 year deals and part ways if it doesn't work out. They are still RFAs if you choose to keep them. The Wakeds and Alains taking contract spots for 3 years is horrible management of your 50 contracts.

They should be smarter about the contracts and not sign crap like Waked, Nevins, Lefebvre, Mayer, Masse, etc... But I would rather they take a shot on a 20 year old vs a 28 year old that has 2 full seasons in the AHL at 26 and 27. Granted it's a case by case basis, but to me there's zero reason to sign Belzile to an NHL contract as you lose nothing if he walks.

Would you rather sign Tyszka or Belzile?

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
They should be smarter about the contracts and not sign crap like Waked, Nevins, Lefebvre, Mayer, Masse, etc... But I would rather they take a shot on a 20 year old vs a 28 year old that has 2 full seasons in the AHL at 26 and 27. Granted it's a case by case basis, but to me there's zero reason to sign Belzile to an NHL contract as you lose nothing if he walks.

Would you rather sign Tyszka or Belzile?

Depends, do you want Laval to win games or miss the playoffs again next year?

Belzile is a much better player at this time than Tyszka.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Depends, do you want Laval to win games or miss the playoffs again next year?

Belzile is a much better player at this time than Tyszka.

The Habs future should be the most important, and there's no reason for them to miss the playoffs. They could have re-signed Carr last year, they could have sent Hudon and Peca to Laval, could have kept Weise there and never called him up. They could have traded for help, get Terry or whoever as they badly needed goal scorers but instead traded away the only one they had in Froese.

Belzile isn't going to make or break Laval in terms of the playoffs, he's not even a top AHLer like Carr, Terry, etc...

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
The Habs future should be the most important, and there's no reason for them to miss the playoffs. They could have re-signed Carr last year, they could have sent Hudon and Peca to Laval, could have kept Weise there and never called him up. They could have traded for help, get Terry or whoever as they badly needed goal scorers but instead traded away the only one they had in Froese.

Belzile isn't going to make or break Laval in terms of the playoffs, he's not even a top AHLer like Carr, Terry, etc...

Yes but Belzile does not count as a vet, so you can still sign Carr and Terry.

If you actually believe that Peca or Hudon would have cleared waivers last year, you are kidding yourself, Agostino, Scherbak, and DLR didn't clear.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yes but Belzile does not count as a vet, so you can still sign Carr and Terry.

If you actually believe that Peca or Hudon would have cleared waivers last year, you are kidding yourself, Agostino, Scherbak, and DLR didn't clear.
FWIW I think Peca would have cleared with his contract. The others had appealing qualities compared to him.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad