Alex Anthopolous not returning as Blue Jays GM

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I'm sure he can take the 1st base coach job somewhere.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I have a sneaking suspicion that Alex Anthopolous is leaving Toronto. Maybe Mark Shapiro wants more power than AA is willing to give up; maybe he realizes after the season he had, he can cash in anywhere he wants.

Just a hunch.

****ing knew it. :laugh:

He'll land on his feet elsewhere, and now the heat's on Shapiro to replicate the Jays' success.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The way AA was so stonefaced about not discussing his own future with the team, at the season-ending presser, just made this move not as surprising as some may think.

He did a lot of great things in Toronto, but his departure does not signal the team returning to mediocrity. Not yet.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Donaldson trade was a great one. Price trade was a good one. Tulo trade I don't agree with but can understand the reasoning behind it.

IMO AA's mistake was going after Tulo when he clearly should've gone after another top flight pitcher.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Donaldson trade was a great one. Price trade was a good one. Tulo trade I don't agree with but can understand the reasoning behind it.

IMO AA's mistake was going after Tulo when he clearly should've gone after another top flight pitcher.

Tulo may have been underwhelming at the plate, but the upgrade in defense from Reyes to Tulo, was meteoric.

Plus, Tulo's even said he was a bit of a mess after the deal, and didn't take it too well. That may have played a role in his play down the stretch, but I think next year with a full season as a Blue Jay he'll improve.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Tulo may have been underwhelming at the plate, but the upgrade in defense from Reyes to Tulo, was meteoric.

Plus, Tulo's even said he was a bit of a mess after the deal, and didn't take it too well. That may have played a role in his play down the stretch, but I think next year with a full season as a Blue Jay he'll improve.

Even if Tulo was his usual self it's still bit of a head scratcher. I understand the upgrade from Reyes but you already had the best offense in baseball by a decent margin. Pitching was a much higher priority.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Even if Tulo was his usual self it's still bit of a head scratcher. I understand the upgrade from Reyes but you already had the best offense in baseball by a decent margin. Pitching was a much higher priority.

True, and Bautista even stated as much, after the deal.

Then we got Price a few days later. :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How so? To me it looks like he realizes he is being put in awful situation of being a GM with no real power or control over roster under Shapiro

It appeared from outsider POV that he built a team that should contend for several years

To me him leaving will be a blow to Jays going forward

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, no need to give the man a chance or anything. Remember, Anthopolous chose to leave, not the other way around.

Yeah? Reports are Shapiro scolded AA in their first meeting. Granted we don't know when the meeting took place but that seems like a dick move. Add in that Rogers gave Shapiro everything he wanted and set the way for AA to leave..then yes...I'm going to be negative towards Shapiro right away.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah? Reports are Shapiro scolded AA in their first meeting. Granted we don't know when the meeting took place but that seems like a dick move. Add in that Rogers gave Shapiro everything he wanted and set the way for AA to leave..then yes...I'm going to be negative towards Shapiro right away.

Again, how did they set the way for AA to leave? They offered him a lucrative long term deal to keep the same job he had.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
The assumption is Shapiro has full control and final decision over all roster moves etc.

Nobody likes to be micromanaged especially guys who feel they deserve more after winning the division.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sources:*#BlueJays*offered Anthopoulos long-term contract. His departure is not over terms or money.

Per Rosenthal

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

The fact that Alex managed to get someone to take Reyes, his terrible range and his awful contract is amazing. The fact that he upgraded at short in the same move is also amazing. Just because you need at a certain position, doesn't mean you don't upgrade in other areas if you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad