Alex Anthopolous not returning as Blue Jays GM

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm very interested in seeing what kind of things Shapiro is capable of, with Rogers' fatter wallet. He's jumping from a shoestring budget in Cleveland, to a much bigger market with deeper pockets in Toronto that just got its' first taste of playoff revenue in 22 years and definitely wants more.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
By taking his ball and going home because he's unwilling to work with Shapiro.
He's not obliged to work with Shapiro. He had pretty much free reign over the Jays and if he saw working with Shapiro as a demotion then so be it. Shapiro coming into the first meeting with the team and blowing AA up for trading prospects shows a lot more of an ego to me than a guy who doesn't sign a contract that isn't in his best interests.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He's not obliged to work with Shapiro. He had pretty much free reign over the Jays and if he saw working with Shapiro as a demotion then so be it. Shapiro coming into the first meeting with the team and blowing AA up for trading prospects shows a lot more of an ego to me than a guy who doesn't sign a contract that isn't in his best interests.

Is that really what happened, or just what was reported?

I think it's just more along the lines of Shapiro being more of a baseball ops guy than Beeston was, wanting to have more input on player decisions than AA was comfortable sharing. :dunno:

Here's hoping Lacava and Shapiro can co-exist.....I see no reason why they can't, and am optimistic that the on-field product won't skip a beat.

It just worries me that an entire fanbase was so sold on AA over a two month span, after years of mediocrity, that they won't give Shapiro a fair shot.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Is that really what happened, or just what was reported?

I think it's just more along the lines of Shapiro being more of a baseball ops guy than Beeston was, wanting to have more input on player decisions than AA was comfortable sharing. :dunno:

Here's hoping Lacava and Shapiro can co-exist.....I see no reason why they can't, and am optimistic that the on-field product won't skip a beat.

It just worries me that an entire fanbase was so sold on AA over a two month span, after years of mediocrity, that they won't give Shapiro a fair shot.

It wasn't just a 2 month span. He made good moves his entire tenure. Yeah, I'd love to have the Dickey trade back but all in all he took a mostly garbage roster and re tooled it into something good. Shed a hilariously terrible contract in wells somehow and signed Bautista and EE to deals that are well under market value. The results just started coming this year, but it wasn't a fluke.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It wasn't just a 2 month span. He made good moves his entire tenure. Yeah, I'd love to have the Dickey trade back but all in all he took a mostly garbage roster and re tooled it into something good. Shed a hilariously terrible contract in wells somehow and signed Bautista and EE to deals that are well under market value. The results just started coming this year, but it wasn't a fluke.

Point taken, I'll clarify:

The Jays were playing meaningful baseball games, for two months of AA's six-year (or 72-month) tenure here. :laugh:

He definitely paved the way to a bright future, here's hoping Shapiro and co., can help bridge the gap.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
J P Morosi was on the Fan590 this morning (in person) and reported that the first contract offered to Alex Anthopolous was actually a 2 year contract. There were obviously constraints added to the job description as Shapiro essentially confirmed yesterday in his news conference.

I can honestly see how Alex would take a 2 year contract, after the season he had just completed AND seeing other General Managers being tendered 4 and 5 year contracts, as a slight and/or an insult.

From then on, as reported by Shapiro last night on Prime Time Sports, Shapiro was not involved in the final days of contract negotiations, but they were held between Ed Rogers and Alex Anthopolous.

Why would you sign a contract with your boss' boss, knowing full well that your boss was not in the slightest happy about the contract that you were being offered?

The fit was never going to work in that scenario and Alex didn't subject himself to any of that ridiculous nonsense. Neither would I.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Smart moves.

Promote Lacava so he doesn't take off and keep Gibbons so if the team struggles there's a fall guy.

Oct 18, 2011
Sounds like a bitter Jays fan who knows nothing about the Indians, or baseball in general. I don't think you have an idea of how the game works.

How many people are there available in baseball who have overseen teams that have been regularly competitive and won? Hell, how many people period?

how many gm's get 15 years and field a decent team a handful of times? the indians were consistently terrible with shapiro running the team, again how did the blue jays decide he should have full power over the team?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
how many gm's get 15 years and field a decent team a handful of times? the indians were consistently terrible with shapiro running the team, again how did the blue jays decide he should have full power over the team?

There were two distinct periods of bad baseball. The first was when he immediately took over a team with no farm system with orders to gut the payroll. He then rebuilt the club into a contender fairly quickly.

The 2nd period was when the core of the 05-07 teams suddenly became injured. Not just missed time, but had their careers ruined/ended by injury out of nowhere, combined with having to trade away your two best pitchers for money reasons at the same time and I think its safe to give him a mulligan on that. It was something entirely beyond his control. The result of that meant the team had to suddenly start rebuilding again but had their top trade assets untradeable because of injury AND wasn't able to supplement the roster with other players because in addition to being a bottom payroll team at the best of times, also had a bunch of dead salary that finally came off the books following the 2012 season, where the team of course immediately started winning baseball games again now that they were able to actually supplement the roster with major league talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad