Player Discussion Ales Hemsky

ScubaSteve*

Avery out scored Hemskey in a stars uniform by a significant margin.

ScubaSteve*

The same leadership group that took the previous season's team to the conference finals. Bless Avery for showing the foibles of Morrow, Ribeiro, and an aging Modano.

Is there anybody who has ever been affiliated with this team that you guys will allow to be criticized?

MetalGodAOD*

Is there anybody who has ever been affiliated with this team that you guys will allow to be criticized?

Who's you guys? And I'm pretty sure like 5 posts up someone criticized Avery and another person criticized Morrow/Ribs/Turco etc.

2 points is significant when it is double Hemsky's total.

You might want to stop digging that hole you've found yourself in. :laugh: You're making a pretty poor first impression.

Stargazer1111

Oct 19, 2014
The same leadership group that took the previous season's team to the conference finals. Bless Avery for showing the foibles of Morrow, Ribeiro, and an aging Modano.

Don't forget that Zubov and Lehtinen were still around in 2008. As was Stu Barnes and Philippe Boucher and some other guys whom I would consider to be great leaders. Norstrom as well.

When those guys left (particularly Zubov), the team just started to crumble. Of course, Turco's demise contributed as well.

But, when Morrow, Ribeiro, and Modano were all that was left, it was obvious that something had been lost. Modano was never a great leader. He was propped up by the Carbonneaus, Skrudlands, and Keanes of the world during that era. When those guys were no longer around, it became obvious to me that Modano was incapable of it.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Avery out scored Hemskey in a stars uniform by a significant margin.

So is your goal just to start **** with everyone on every subject in every thread? If so, bravo. But it seems to me that you don't know what you're talking about in any of these threads. Sure know how to rile up the boys though.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Has anyone paid attention to his stats lately?

He started off terrible. 1 point in the first 15 games is unacceptable. We all agree as did Ruff who scratched him.

Since then he's collected 7 points in 12 games while eating another scratch and being demoted to the Eakin/Roussel line with Garbutt out. While .58 pts/gm isn't as good as we'd like he's been trending upward and actually looked pretty decent with those two. I'd love for him to get back closer to .7 pts/gm but at the very least the awful cold streak appears to be behind us.

For whatever reason he was abysmal. Now he is less so. Long may it continue.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Avery exposed something. It made me suspicious when I saw the "leaders" quit on the season until he was suspended. It wasn't until a bit later that my suspicions were confimed. We had Modano go to Detroit where he admitted he stopped trying in Dallas. Then we had Morrow show his true self late in his tenure with the Stars when he whined about ice time. There is more, but those are the highlights of why it was Nieuwy was so ready to be done with them.

Stargazer1111

Oct 19, 2014
Avery exposed something. It made me suspicious when I saw the "leaders" quit on the season until he was suspended. It wasn't until a bit later that my suspicions were confimed. We had Modano go to Detroit where he admitted he stopped trying in Dallas. Then we had Morrow show his true self late in his tenure with the Stars when he whined about ice time. There is more, but those are the highlights of why it was Nieuwy was so ready to be done with them.

Yep. I specifically remember an early interview in Detroit with Modano in which he said things had gotten "stale" in Dallas and that the Wings were giving him more of a reason to put in effort.

As much as I love the guy, the fact that he tried so much more with the Wings that year really got on my nerves. Until he got injured, he reminded me much more of the old Modano who tracked back and caught the other team's forwards consistently.

Of course. That might have been partly due to Babcock's influence. Much more Hitch-like than Tippett was.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I don't know any other way to get this guy going...

Team him up with Seguin. If that doesn't work, than might as well replace him with someone else because Hemsky getting bottom 6 minutes is just SO pointless.

I'd honestly rather see a prospect or something (ANYONE!!!) than Hemsky at this point.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Avery became too overboard off the ice (just like how Emery practically ruined Ottawa and was the beginning of the organization's downfall), but he was a good player IMO. One of those rare players that can actually chip in some points while also doing his job. Reminds me of a downgrade version of Hunter (not saying he is Hunter, but both were pretty good at hockey as well).

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
I don't know any other way to get this guy going...

Team him up with Seguin. If that doesn't work, than might as well replace him with someone else because Hemsky getting bottom 6 minutes is just SO pointless.

I'd honestly rather see a prospect or something (ANYONE!!!) than Hemsky at this point.

Again, they've done that and it kills Seguin's game. Seguin is a brilliant forward but he's no Peter Forsberg. Meaning, you wouldn't want expect him to go dig a puck out of the corner all on his own and go hard to the net to score. You want to give him some open ice to create chances.

When Hemsky skates with Seguin, Hemsky just seems to dump the puck into the corner for Seguin to go dig it out, instead of drawing defenders to himself and managing to pass to an open Seguin. And it's not like Hemsky creates odd-man rushes that Seguin can join - Hemsky just looks to receive outlet passes instead of trying to poke check and jump past a defender ala Garbutt.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Again, they've done that and it kills Seguin's game. Seguin is a brilliant forward but he's no Peter Forsberg. Meaning, you wouldn't want expect him to go dig a puck out of the corner all on his own and go hard to the net to score. You want to give him some open ice to create chances.

When Hemsky skates with Seguin, Hemsky just seems to dump the puck into the corner for Seguin to go dig it out, instead of drawing defenders to himself and managing to pass to an open Seguin. And it's not like Hemsky creates odd-man rushes that Seguin can join - Hemsky just looks to receive outlet passes instead of trying to poke check and jump past a defender ala Garbutt.

Anybody watched Edmonton the last few years? Hemsky is riddled with bad habits. We will have to see if Ruff can iron them out and whip him into shape. Despite prodigious puck skills, i just see a perimeter guy who never gets his nose dirty and never plays defense.

Just recently he started going to the net (though he looked wholly unnatural).

He can definitely rebound and be a good player for us, and something tells me he will be, but not a great start for the big free agent acquisition of the offseason.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan

Than might as well give up on him.

He doesn't show even a glimpse of last year's chemistry with Spezza.
He "stunts" (as you just said in your post) Seguin and Benn's game.
Him playing on bottom 6 minutes is pretty useless

Than what's the whole point of him being in the roster:laugh:

I haven't really seen Hemsky "stunt" Seguin's game...I'm willing to give him a chance with Seguin. If he still can't get things straight, than this team should really consider moving him because he is no use to the team. As I said before, I'd rather see a prospect playing than Hemsky at this point, and that's how bad he's been playing for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad