Player Discussion Ales Hemsky

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I like how Ruff has kept Hemsky and Spezza together for the most part....they'll break through soon enough I'm sure, and start racking up the points.

Verbal Kint

Oct 9, 2007
I like how Ruff has kept Hemsky and Spezza together for the most part....they'll break through soon enough I'm sure, and start racking up the points.

Couple goals against Pens would be a great start. I see Penguins scoring at least 3 goals against us on thursday.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I've seen plenty of Oilers fans positively review Hemsky's defensive play. So far, Spezza has been adequate but not great defensively. I think both would benefit from a winger who has solid defensive abilities.

Some of Spezza's best hockey has been played alongside players with limited offensive ability. He almost turned Colin Greening into a 20 goal scorer.

Someone similar (big body, good skater) would do well to complement the Hemsky - Spezza pair. They just need to be able to hustle back for the back check and cycle a bit. Ideally they'd have a good shot too, but that would be gravy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's close to McKenzie.

His skating has improved even from the playoffs ... he mentioned doing power skating work in the summer. He's solid defensively thanks to 4 years with Miami. His shot is just adequate but he's great at picking up dirty goals.

He won't get an extended look this year likely though. When Nuke's healthy, unless they make some moves, he's headed right back to Austin.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Dying (Ales and his wife)...

B0_ju4YCEAE7HXy.jpg:large

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Damn, I hope Hemmer starts lighting it up. I'm really hoping that Dallas wins the Cup for him. He deserves it after investing his heart and soul into some crappy Oilers' teams.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Oilers fan here.

Whats going on with Hemmer? 1 assist this year? Is he not getting ice time? I think he would thrive with Seguin and Benn...

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
There's a dedicated Hemskey thread about 12 threads down on the 1st page?

He isn't playing with Benn and Seguin, he's playing on our 2nd 4th line with players who can't drive offense. The super line does work every night but at the expense of the other lines, so for now he is on the outside looking in.

Stargazer1111

Oct 19, 2014
Oilers fan here.

Whats going on with Hemmer? 1 assist this year? Is he not getting ice time? I think he would thrive with Seguin and Benn...

It's weird. He looks nothing like the Hemsky I remember from the old Oiler days.

I hope he picks it up soon. He has to be really feeling the pressure to produce.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Haven't watched him play for Dallas this year but I he was dynamite the second he put on a Sens jersey last year. Once the lines even out. Spezza and Hemsky will be just fine together.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'll admit, when we signed Hemsky I was excited. Mistakenly though I credited Nill with the idea of signing him to exploit the chemistry he had with Spezza in Ottawa which the GM later refuted.

I kind of ignored my existing impression of the player in favor of what others had been saying with regards to his performance in Ottawa. When he was in Edmonton I got the feeling that he was part of the systemic problem and part of why that team always came up short.

There's not much that's encouraging about his performance. Seems like he's an opportunist that if things were breaking right might have a few more goals and points but wouldn't be shaping the game in any meaningful direction. You have to wonder why the UFA dollars were targeted in his direction rather than on the defensive side.

MetalGodAOD*

Because we needed a top 6 forward too. I would have much prefered Vrbata though.

He's horrible though, so unimpressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad