Player Discussion Ales Hemsky

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
He's starting to look a lot better. Against the Avs I thought he was one of the stars best players. Points are starting to come and the effort has improved. He's clearly gaining confidence in his shot as well.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He does look better, still not a game changer, but better than before.

Hemsky's first 15 games: 0-1-1

Since: 6-8-14 in 23 GP

He still looks like a mistake of a signing but at least he isn't be an actively negative player anymore.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
And if he didn't cut his stick blade off like a doofus, he'd have 3 or 4 more goals at least.

Completely agree. It makes zero sense. I understand having a shorter length stick (helps with stick handling) but there's not a good reason to shorten the length of the blade.

It's like he's trying to be a hockey hipster. Darker visor and a special length stick set up no one else has heard of.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
He does look better, still not a game changer, but better than before.

Hemsky's first 15 games: 0-1-1

Since: 6-8-14 in 23 GP

He still looks like a mistake of a signing but at least he isn't be an actively negative player anymore.

14 in 23 is just a bit above .5PPG and would come out to a pace of 50 points. That isn't bad at all.

The projection thread had him as 56 points in 71 games also.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I think his stick is too much a part of his playing style for him to ever change it. His shot and his style of dekes would have to change, and the dekes especially always seemed to be tied to his confidence.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Glad to see he's coming on. Good player to watch and still one of my favorites. I miss him on the Oil. He has had some stellar seasons under his belt and still seems to have retained much of the skillset. He's just not as much the it-guy for offense and has become a bit more cautious after his shoulder injuries. Keep it up Hemmer!

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Definitely looking much better. Totally different. He seems completely interested now instead of uninterested and wants the puck.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He looks better, but I'm still not a fan. It seems like he'll get it in a good position in the offensive zone and then not know what to do with it. Watching him now it baffles me how he ever got near 70 points in this league. It doesn't help that his shot isn't particularly special. I still think we got the wrong guy for the price, better off getting Vrbata than a guy like Hemsky.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
He looks better, but I'm still not a fan. It seems like he'll get it in a good position in the offensive zone and then not know what to do with it. Watching him now it baffles me how he ever got near 70 points in this league. It doesn't help that his shot isn't particularly special. I still think we got the wrong guy for the price, better off getting Vrbata than a guy like Hemsky.

If the thought process is to get somebody who will play with Benn and Seguin, you should be looking for a passer and not a shooter like Vrbata. I don't think Hemsky is the guy to play with Benn and Seguin, but I don't think Vrbata is a good fit there either.

aloonda*

he is truly a wizard with his skating and puck skills

he just makes weird (maybe so advanced thinking decisions that others around him aren't up to his speed) or just oh well, I'll pass it there and see what the hell happens

it's like he is a hockey iq savant

or has hockey iq autism

or both

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I was more thinking for Spezza, I know they supposedly got Hemsky to play with Benn and Seguin, but that didn't make much sense to me either.

IIRC the timeline was that the Hemsky deal was set before the Spezza one was because you got to negotiate with UFAs for a week before signing day and Spezza got done just before noon? Agreed as far as the chemistry with Benn and Seguin, unless they see Nuke as the centerpiece of his own line he is a great compliment to their skills while a pure shooter or passer wouldn't really bring anything different to the table.

I think Hemsky and Spezza each need a shooter which is why Cole's uncomplicated game was an ok fit.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If the thought process is to get somebody who will play with Benn and Seguin, you should be looking for a passer and not a shooter like Vrbata. I don't think Hemsky is the guy to play with Benn and Seguin, but I don't think Vrbata is a good fit there either.

I disagreed with Nill in the summer and I still disagree with this logic. Benn and Seguin do not need a playmaker on their wing. Playmakers like to hold onto the puck and that line has two guys already who are damn good at being the guy with the puck. Benn is a good playmaker and passer and so is Seguin. What they could make best use of is a goal scorer who can find seams because either of them can find him with a sweet pass. Other than that they are best off with a big body who can win puck battles along the boards and in the corners and who can put away rebounds that are created off their numerous shooting opportunities.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I disagreed with Nill in the summer and I still disagree with this logic. Benn and Seguin do not need a playmaker on their wing. Playmakers like to hold onto the puck and that line has two guys already who are damn good at being the guy with the puck. Benn is a good playmaker and passer and so is Seguin. What they could make best use of is a goal scorer who can find seams because either of them can find him with a sweet pass. Other than that they are best off with a big body who can win puck battles along the boards and in the corners and who can put away rebounds that are created off their numerous shooting opportunities.

Working backwards, you aren't going to realistically have a better scorer than Seguin, so why build a line where Seguin and Benn pass to somebody else? He's got a gift, make full use of it by giving him complimentary linemates.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Working backwards, you aren't going to realistically have a better scorer than Seguin, so why build a line where Seguin and Benn pass to somebody else? He's got a gift, make full use of it by giving him complimentary linemates.

I can see that logic but with the fluid nature of hockey I disagree. "Pass it off" to a lesser player isn't how I see it. I see it as giving the opposition another shooter they have to be concerned with which in turn allows Seguin to be open for shots more often. If you have a pure playmaker with those two they will want to control the puck more than them and their intentions will also be easy to read. They need a guy they can cycle with IMO.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I think both Ritchie and Nichushkin can be good fits with them. I'd rather they play with someone who can bang and work the corners(as well as score) then a finesse passer type.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think both Ritchie and Nichushkin can be good fits with them. I'd rather they play with someone who can bang and work the corners(as well as score) then a finesse passer type.

I don't think Ritchie is fast enough, and his game is more focused around shooting than being a physical presence. Nichushkin brings something different to Seguin and Benn in a similar way to how Ritchie does with Spezza and Hemsky.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I wasn't expecting Ritchie to be that much of a physical presence but thought he had been to this point. But maybe that will tail off. I also do think he's fast enough. Probably a better fit with S and H if he can indeed play LW effectively.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006

Or try to get a guy that can work the corners, play defense, and pass to Seguin.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Oiler fan here, Hows Hemmer been playing lately? I thought for sure he would be back to a point per game with the Stars.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Oiler fan here, Hows Hemmer been playing lately? I thought for sure he would be back to a point per game with the Stars.

Fine. You pay 4m for 40 pts, and considering how many games he hasn't played with a real 2C I'm not too disappointed he won't get there.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I think he's been a bit snakebitten again. He is holding onto the puck a bit too much and flubbing the puck from time to time. He is also not very strong on the boards, but that's been the trend at least since the post-injury-Oiler days. Yet, he seems like he's really flying and creating a lot of opportunities. It's weird. He seems like he is trying hard and is often on but something is not quite clicking. This is only based on from the little I have seen in the past couple weeks or so. Maybe it's a linemates, confidence issue, or perhaps even not enough minutes?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think he's been a bit snakebitten again. He is holding onto the puck a bit too much and flubbing the puck from time to time. He is also not very strong on the boards, but that's been the trend at least since the post-injury-Oiler days. Yet, he seems like he's really flying and creating a lot of opportunities. It's weird. He seems like he is trying hard and is often on but something is not quite clicking. This is only based on from the little I have seen in the past couple weeks or so. Maybe it's a linemates, confidence issue, or perhaps even not enough minutes?

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I've been very critical of him lately, but you pretty much nailed it. He's looking better, creating chances, but he's not doing anything with them, often killing them just as quickly as he creates them. I have no idea what the issue is with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad