Ales Hemsky a fit in Montreal?

PricePkPatch*

He could be a very solid fit for our team. Not too small, yet pretty fast.

I guess it will, indeed, depend on the potential terms

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Really like the idea of Hemsky. A 2nd line of Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Hemsky would be awesome. Ever since moving Cammalleri we haven't really had a ton of "skill" in our forward group. Even Pacioretty is more of a finesse player. Hemsky brings a lot of puck skill to a team that's lacking it, would be a diet version of what Vanek brought after the deadline.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It's really determined by the contract.
And this isn't the time of year to expect decent contract terms. If Hemsky was in a situation where he was approaching the leftovers bin show-me style of contract, I'd be all for adding him. But he came on pretty strong after going to Ottawa, and the supply is so thin on the market this year, I just assume he signs for $$$ and term that both significantly exceed what I'd be willing to risk on him. :dunno:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Small, Soft, most likely will be overpaid. 0.5 PPG on a offensive minded Oilers team.....

Still better than Gionta but ill pass.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
He'll only play with Pleks if he has no chemistry with DD, lol.

I wouldn't mind a Gally/Pleks/Gally line, tbh as a second line.

Unlike Vanek who had to endure being on Plekanec's shut down line for several games before finally being moved to Desharnais' line and actually produce?

He's too injury prone, sadly. Its unlikely he'd survive long playoffs... A shame because he's a great talent. Thats why I wouldn't be too upset if we sign him (unless we overpay of course). He does fill one of our needs filled by the presumed departure of Vanek. The other big need is to solidify our defense, which I think Bergevin intends to do since Murray, Bouillon and even Weaver likely ain't coming back.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Soft, expensive, injury prone, unreliable .... why not just keep Vanek?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This team definitely needs another small, soft and often injured forward, especially if we get rid of Briere. We should be in on Hemsky, no brainer!!

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Soft, expensive, injury prone, unreliable .... why not just keep Vanek?

Yeah thats still the best option. People here will disagree.

Its difficult for us fans to have a rational opinion. I'm sure Vanek genuinely enjoyed Montreal, and it was his career's longest playoff series. It should play in favor of him staying, not leaving... Sure Therrien played him on the fourth line in the last series but he admitted to playing bad. Anyhow its his and the Habs' decision to make whether he stays, we fans are always disconnected from their worlds.

Adriatic said:
This team definitely needs another small, soft and often injured forward, especially if we get rid of Briere. We should be in on Hemsky, no brainer!!

This team definitely needs a forward with actual talent, speed and skill, especially since we have basically none.

I know you were sarcastic, but I'm not. Our forward group is a bunch of grinders. Not re-signing Gionta and Bouillon really helps in the midget department (and Hemsky isn't even one, he's just made of glass).

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Alex is a good player but not the type that will help us win the cup.Great talent but has underperformed in his 10plus yrs.Iginla is the type of player you want only problem is his age.Players that gutted out when game or series is on line-character players

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I like Hemsky a lot....I understand that Hemsky is injury-prone, but he's quite talented.

RW In order:
Iginla
Hemsky
Vrbata

There aren't a lot of RW available :(

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
a playmaking winger is exactly what eller needs, he'd be a good fit on all 3 of our top 9 lines.

Analyzer*

And this isn't the time of year to expect decent contract terms. If Hemsky was in a situation where he was approaching the leftovers bin show-me style of contract, I'd be all for adding him. But he came on pretty strong after going to Ottawa, and the supply is so thin on the market this year, I just assume he signs for $$$ and term that both significantly exceed what I'd be willing to risk on him. :dunno:

Yeah, that is true.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
One thing Hemsky is good at is entering the zone with the puck on the PP. Our PP struggled mightly with PP zone entry for a good part of the year and Hemsky would help in that regard.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
One thing Hemsky is good at is entering the zone with the puck on the PP. Our PP struggled mightly with PP zone entry for a good part of the year and Hemsky would help in that regard.

Would he even get PP time?

Mo

Jan 17, 2006
I am a Habs fan in Edmonton.

Hemsky is not soft or a whiner. Gets injured alot because he goes in high traffic areas and is willing to take a hit. He'd do well in Montreal's puck possession system. Painfully unwilling to shoot the puck. One of the few guys who is as fast with the puck as without. One of the few guys who continually beats guys one on one. If he's not on first or second line than Habs shouldn't sign him.... have always thought he would look good with Plekenec. He'd no more (or less) of a band-aid than Gionta.

Just my 2 cents.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Would he even get PP time?

On the first unit hopefully...

OT - Did someone just score a world cup goal or something? Some dude outside is shouting ''OLE OLE OLE OLE!'' at the top of his lungs on the balcony...

Mo said:

Hemsky is not soft or a whiner. Gets injured alot because he goes in high traffic areas and is willing to take a hit. He'd do well in Montreal's puck possession system. Painfully unwilling to shoot the puck. One of the few guys who is as fast with the puck as without. One of the few guys who continually beats guys one on one. If he's not on first or second line than Habs shouldn't sign him.... have always thought he would look good with Plekenec. He'd no more (or less) of a band-aid than Gionta.

Just my 2 cents.

By that description he would indeed look good with Plekanec. Pleky specializes on quick attacks and is mostly a shooter, they'd complement each other well. Gionta is washed up beyond belief, I hope he's not brought back.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013

Just my 2 cents.

On the first unit hopefully...

OT - Did someone just score a world cup goal or something? Some dude outside is shouting ''OLE OLE OLE OLE!'' at the top of his lungs on the balcony...

By that description he would indeed look good with Plekanec. Pleky specializes on quick attacks and is mostly a shooter, they'd complement each other well. Gionta is washed up beyond belief, I hope he's not brought back.

Why would anyone pair two guys (DD&AH) on the PP who don't/can't shoot the puck very well? Wouldn't a sniper be better if MT is dead set on using DD as his first PP unit center.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
Hemsky's probably one of the best fit for this team. Plays on the right and can play some tough minutes. Has kept a respectable scoring rate at even strenght despite playing with some pretty crappy players on a blackhole team.He might also get underpaid relative to his on ice value due to an unwarranted reputation as a softy who lacks character.

on a offensive minded Oilers team.....

Edmonton Oilers Goals per game rank by season:

2013-2014: 25th
2012-2013: 24th
2011-2012: 28th
2010-2011: 30th

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'd welcome Iginla AND Hemsky on that team. But trade Brière and Moen for picks in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad