Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Not a fan at all of this pick. Liked our 1rst and 3rd round picks

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
More than enough? I'd say more like barely enough. And lacking seriously in strength, I thought he would dominate in the league but he never bulked up.

How do you know anything about his strength level? Did you know that mass and strength do not necessarily go hand in hand?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
How do you know anything about his strength level? Did you know that mass and strength do not necessarily go hand in hand?

Because he gets ragdolled everytime I watch him? lol

He looks physically immature the same way he did when I first time saw him in the league. Underwhelmed tbh with him nowadays, he really wowed me back in the world juniors and in Chicago.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
This is a good pick.

With the later round draft picks, you should be picking a player that has one definable trait/skill, and develop the player to fill a role.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
I remember Carolina picking a same type of guy a few years ago in Sebastian Aho. The only reason he slipped to the second round was his size. If He's got the work ethic and motivation I wouldn't be too worried about his size. He is exactly the guy who I wanted us to pick in the second round.

BoxingRobes

Oct 13, 2016

In (American) Football, weight adjusted measurables are a great, useful tool in evaluating. Obviously a different sport, but the physical nature of it still allows this concept to hold SOME truth.

Kailer Yamamoto is insanely small for the sport, however, still went R1 because his strength measurables, for his size, were off the charts outstanding...so, you know he is going to work in, in the weight room and even at 150lbs or whatever he is walking around in, won't necessarily get pushed around like a rag doll against at least average size NHL players.

I don't know anything about Heponiemi, but he is small, so it is of note here.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Another pre-draft report

"extremely talented playmaker"
"relentless forechecker"
"His size doesn’t hamper his playing style, as he is quick on his skates and able to create space for himself and teammates. His shiftiness makes it hard for defenders to pin him along the boards, and his on-ice awareness lets him pick out his teammates, even when in full flight. "

Sounds fantastic if he can make it. Risky but with a potentially very high reward.
I like the pick.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Another pre-draft report

"extremely talented playmaker"
"relentless forechecker"
"His size doesn’t hamper his playing style, as he is quick on his skates and able to create space for himself and teammates. His shiftiness makes it hard for defenders to pin him along the boards, and his on-ice awareness lets him pick out his teammates, even when in full flight. "

Sounds fantastic if he can make it. Risky but with a potentially very high reward.
I like the pick.

Same.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
In (American) Football, weight adjusted measurables are a great, useful tool in evaluating. Obviously a different sport, but the physical nature of it still allows this concept to hold SOME truth.

Kailer Yamamoto is insanely small for the sport, however, still went R1 because his strength measurables, for his size, were off the charts outstanding...so, you know he is going to work in, in the weight room and even at 150lbs or whatever he is walking around in, won't necessarily get pushed around like a rag doll against at least average size NHL players.

I don't know anything about Heponiemi, but he is small, so it is of note here.

Obviously he needs to get bigger, but he is SO very small, that he will definately get bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad