Prospect Info: Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40 overall), Kärpät (Liiga)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The Canucks' Army had him at 18... also Button and Pronman at 24 and 27, per their site. Say size is a concern but great potential.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He's a good playmaker, but his physique is seriously lacking. Definitely a project, kind of like Borgström.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Interesting. Talent is there. But will need to bulk up big time to have a better chance of sticking in the Nhl.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Nice! This is the guy I wanted in the 2nd round and picked him in a mock draft I participated in on the mock draft board. 2 for 2 so far with him in Tippett, Panthers are obviously watching who I picked so expect them to go with DMan David Farrance in the 3rd round. :sarcasm:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Interesting. Talent is there. But will need to bulk up big time to have a better chance of sticking in the Nhl.

Yes.
He was rookie of the year in WHL ( 86 points in 72 games) this past season so it tells a lot.
Heponiemi is really skilled center and especially in powerplay he's dangerous.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
145 lbs... this guy is a project

Do you know how fast a guy that size gains weight and mass? If eating and lifting is all he needs to do, then holy **** is that easy. I find it absolutely ridiculous and ignorant how people look at his weight and go "Uh oh". He has all the skill in the world, and the biggest problem people find in him is one he can solve by stuffing himself with steaks and burgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
He measured in at the combine at 6 feet tall (with shoes though, but he is at least 5'10") so he isn't short, you just gotta hope he can put on weight in the next 3-4 years. Vancouver took a similar project at 5th overall in Elias, I'm willing to bet on a guy gaining weight at pick number 40. He has all the other skills, great pick and will be exciting to see his development.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Seriously why be concerned about his weight at 18 years old? Mitch Marner is barely 170 lbs and look what he's doing. This kid could easily add 20-30 lbs. within the next couple years. It's so irrelevant right now. He plays hockey well and hopefully will continue to get better, that's what matters.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah this guy has a long way to go. Probably 4 years before he sees any nhl time. How much can you even put on weight per year? Seems crazy he's only 145 lbs...

He looked so damm small when he went to meet the management :laugh:

He needs to get 30lbs before he can think of becoming NHL player, but the potential is there.

Another Finn Teravainen never bulked up... maybe easy for some people.

With TT the motivation isn't the highest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad