Pre-Game Talk: Alec Baldwin is Going to Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
The part I don't get is Alec Baldwin's own stunt double had a misfire accident not even a week before hand, being given a gun he was told was cold, but was not, accidentally discharging it twice.

How could Alec not follow basic gun safety protocols after that like checking whether or not his gun is loaded and doing a dry fire into the ground, he's taken gun safety training multiple times and even if it is the armorers chief responsibility the actor/actress are supposed to double check every time before using a gun on set.
Also a basic actors' rule is don't point your gun directly at anyone. Obviously he failed that one completely. But considering who he knows and blows, there's no chance he'll go to jail.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
LA is a tire-fire in net... only thing salvaging them there was Copley coming in and playing "ok"... and the team being able to outscore their net issues... but when that dries up... the Kings will sink in the standings... we're already seeing that happening in fact as the team is -7 in goals differential.

Oilers will overtake them in the standings shortly. Vegas has come back to reality after their hot start as well... winning only 4 of their last 10.

I think the Oilers can quite easily pass Vegas as well.

Kraken are still on their Cinderella run and maybe they don't turn into pumpkins for a while yet... but I firmly believe this Oilers team is better than the Kraken and I think they'll pass the Kraken as well. Oilers will grab 1st in the division within the next couple weeks.

Oilers are gelling into a grittier team that has swagger and I love it. When they couple their offensive skills with even half decent goaltending (which Campbell is now providing... and that Skinner has provided all season long)... they are a handful for any opposing team. Defense is their true weak spot but that's shown some major improvements as well. If they can be even average defensively... they have more than enough offense to beat any team on any given night IF the effort is there... and they've been giving that effort consistently lately.

That's what has been frustrating with the Oilers... we know this team is capable of being a division-winning tier team... they just don't consistently put that level of effort in and if/when they do (like they've been doing lately)... they can easily be right there among the league's elite teams.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
We cannot just expect to win these next 8 games without no effort. We need to not play down to the opposition and keep the pedal going. This is a huge chance in the schedule to create distance between the 9th place team.

We’ve been playing solid lately. Keep it going boys. Expect a big effort tomorrow night. Hopefully Skinner is solid in net.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
We cannot just expect to win these next 8 games without no effort. We need to not play down to the opposition and keep the pedal going. This is a huge chance in the schedule to create distance between the 9th place team.

We’ve been playing solid lately. Keep it going boys. Expect a big effort tomorrow night. Hopefully Skinner is solid in net.
Oilers will win their next 8 games with no effort.

Reactions: capazzo

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Oilers can win most of these games if they play the same way as they have lately. With that same intensity and pace. I hope they don't play down to a lot of these teams. Lets see how much they have matured.

I wonder who starts tomorrow. i seen that Skinner is breaking in new pads. I hope that doesn't throw him off when he is in.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
baldwin.gif

Reactions: Mr Kot

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

They are going to get the new coach bump for tomorrow's game aren't they?

It's honestly shocking how embarrassing the Canucks have become. Never thought I'd see a franchise surpass the late 00's Oilers management where they were releasing cringy DVDs and getting openly mocked by all the major networks for debasing themselves, but the Nucks have somehow managed to do it.

Hiring the coach before the new GM always had the chance to blow up in their faces, but I can't see any other organization in the league that would allow such a situation turn into such public gong-show.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Also a basic actors' rule is don't point your gun directly at anyone. Obviously he failed that one completely. But considering who he knows and blows, there's no chance he'll go to jail.

He was lining up the shot exactly as the director of photography wanted, which is not uncommon to get focus correct, framing, etc. for the actual shot. When you film a movie you don't just randomly make up shots (generally speaking), you have a shot list and have to generally do a run through before the shot is lit and performed.

A film set can have like hundreds of people behind the camera at any moment, it's impossible for an actor to know really fully who is where.

That's the whole point of having bloody blanks. Even if you fire, there should never be a situation where someone is killed, the only way someone should be able to die from a blank fired is if the gun is literally pressed against the skin, which an actor should also be told expressly not to do.

An actor should never be responsible for checking a gun or checking a car or checking a horse or checking a sword, that's f***ing insanity. They are there to give a performance, not to safety check things.

The armorer who loaded the gun apparently with a live bullet (some how) should be criminally charged.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
He was lining up the shot exactly as the director of photography wanted, which is not uncommon to get focus correct, framing, etc. for the actual shot. When you film a movie you don't just randomly make up shots (generally speaking), you have a shot list and have to generally do a run through before the shot is lit and performed.

A film set can have like hundreds of people behind the camera at any moment, it's impossible for an actor to know really fully who is where.

That's the whole point of having bloody blanks. Even if you fire, there should never be a situation where someone is killed, the only way someone should be able to die from a blank fired is if the gun is literally pressed against the skin, which an actor should also be told expressly not to do.

An actor should never be responsible for checking a gun or checking a car or checking a horse or checking a sword, that's f***ing insanity. They are there to give a performance, not to safety check things.

The armorer who loaded the gun apparently with a live bullet (some how) should be criminally charged.
He was the producer. That's why he's being charged. It was his responsibility to have the right people in charge of shit

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was the producer. That's why he's being charged. It was his responsibility have the right people in charge of shit

No it's not. As I said before for starters the star of a movie often is given a producer credit. For example Tom Cruise is listed as a producer on Top Gun Maverick.

That just means he had input on the script/story/character changes. It does not mean Tom Cruise is in charge of safety on the set or what craft services is providing for lunch or where sourcing where a costume comes from or negotiating for a filming location, and most certainly not on-set safety protocol, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's also just a status perk that actual producers throw at a star of a film project, it's basically the equivalent of a sports team for example giving a star player signing bonuses because they have certain clout within the organization. It does not really change the cap hit of a contract or anything like that.

The actual producers should be charged, but only Baldwin is, that basically tells you all you need to know that this is a stunt by the DA to get attention for themselves.

No film star is going to give a shit about wasting their time running a film set, real producers handle all that shit. Vin Diesel is listed as executive producer on Fast 9 ... that doesn't mean Vin Diesel spent even 10 seconds doing safety checks on the cars on set to make sure the brakes were working correctly, totally not his job to do that.

Last edited:

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
No it's not. As I said before for starters the star of a movie often is given a producer credit. For example Tom Cruise is listed as a producer on Top Gun Maverick.

That just means he had input on the script/story/character changes. It does not mean Tom Cruise is in charge of safety on the set or what craft services is providing for lunch or where sourcing where a costume comes from or negotiating for a filming location, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's also just a status perk that actual producers throw at a star of a film project, it's basically the equivalent of a sports team for example giving a star player signing bonuses because they have certain clout within the organization. It does not really change the cap hit of a contract or anything like that.

The actual producers should be charged, but only Baldwin is, that basically tells you all you need to know that this is a stunt by the DA to get attention for themselves.

No film star is going to give a shit about wasting their time running a film set, real producers handle all that shit.
I ain't gonna pretend I know the ins and outs of this ordeal. That's my guess as to why he's being charged. Obviously pulling the trigger on a gun you thought was a prop isn't a crime.

He's a wealthy guy, so that alone means he won't have to face any consequences. Whom ever was in charge of making sure a prop gun wasn't loaded with live ammo should bear responsibility for this mishap, but it was in all probability an accident, not something done out of malicious intent

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A bit paranoid that that this loss to the Colorado was Vancouvers “rock bottom” moments where the team rallies around Bruce Boudreau and comes out with a win it for Bruce effort before he gets fired (whenever the hell that’s going to happen).

Reactions: The Bored Man

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I ain't gonna pretend I know the ins and outs of this ordeal. That's my guess as to why he's being charged. Obviously pulling the trigger on a gun you thought was a prop isn't a crime

If that's their case they're not going to get really far, it will likely be fairly easy to prove that Baldwin was only a producer in a creative capacity, the idea of an actor on set being in charge of props for example is insane.

It would be like if a Biosteel sign at Rogers Arena fell and badly hurt a fan or member of the coaching staff or something, and then the police saying Connor McDavid should be blamed because he's a Biosteel endorsee or listed as a chairman for a charity that Biosteel sponsors lets say ... I mean that's just an insane thing to first even think that Connor McDavid spent even 5 seconds of his day telling people where and how to put up the sign or how to do it or any of that.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
If that's their case they're not going to get really far, it will likely be fairly easy to prove that Baldwin was only a producer in a creative capacity, the idea of an actor on set being in charge of props for example is insane.

It would be like if a Biosteel sign at Rogers Arena fell and badly hurt a fan or member of the coaching staff or something, and then the police saying Connor McDavid should be blamed because he's a Biosteel endorsee or listed as a chairman for a charity that Biosteel sponsors lets say ... I mean that's just an insane thing to first even think that Connor McDavid spent even 5 seconds of his day telling people where and how to put up or how to do it or any of that.
I agree. I added a bunch of shit to my post before you replied. There's no way he should be held criminally responsible.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even on a technical basis, lets just say an actor was method into their role that they showed up drunk and half naked on set and proceeded to take a prop gun and fire wildly in 20 different directions during the take because they're playing a character who is like the Joker or something ...

Even assuming all that, and even assuming this wasn't 100% planned for the character to do that but they did it because that's their process and how they feel the character would behave ... OK.

None of that should actually even matter.

The whole point of blank rounds and dummy rounds is that no one should die even in a situation like that (which wasn't even close to the case here).

I believe the only time someone has died from the use of blanks on a movie set was an actor in the 80s on a TV show as a joke took a prop and placed it directly against his temple and fired it while goofing around in between takes. The problem is with a blank there is still a discharge with force and if there's no distance for that discharge to "explode" towards ... welp, guess what happens.

But that's the only way you should be able to kill someone with a prop gun and that's obviously not what happened here, what happened here is a completely different kind of safety breakdown where some how real bullets ended up on set and the armorer in charge of gun safety some how didn't notice.

It's like having a pile of fake grenades on a movie set of a war movie but some how some idiot brought real grenades that are actually live onto set ... welp, you're just asking for a tragedy to happen at that point, there's no reason for an actor or crew member to think the grenades are real.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I ain't gonna pretend I know the ins and outs of this ordeal. That's my guess as to why he's being charged. Obviously pulling the trigger on a gun you thought was a prop isn't a crime.
He 100% knew it was not a prop gun, he knew he was holding a real gun in his hands he was merely under the assumption it did not have live ammo based on being verbally told it was a "cold" gun. In Hollywood the norm is real guns, prop guns are not used very often.

It would be like if a Biosteel sign at Rogers Arena fell and badly hurt a fan or member of the coaching staff or something, and then the police saying Connor McDavid should be blamed because he's a Biosteel endorsee or listed as a chairman for a charity that Biosteel sponsors lets say ... I mean that's just an insane thing to first even think that Connor McDavid spent even 5 seconds of his day telling people where and how to put up the sign or how to do it or any of that.

That's a god awful example the liability in the case is obvious and it will clearly not fall on a sponsor for merely purchasing ad space they have no active role in hanging it and would incur no liability for a mishap at the venue they are merely making use of a service. Moreover Biosteel is a corporation which at its outset means limited liability, there is no conceivable way it would fall back on Connor.

This case is different in that Baldwin was taught gun safety and failed to follow the proper safety protocols and in so doing had an active role in the unintentional death of another human being. I'd say a proper example would be comparing it to a person being taught to use a potentially lethal piece of heavy machinery and failing to follow the safety protocols they were taught and that resulted in the unintended death of someone else.

Baldwin's main defense is just that he can point to others for the mishap in that the armorer failed her responsibilities and the Assistant director failed in his duties when he double checked the firearm, plenty of blame to spread around in this case with multiple points of failure, but there is really no getting around that Baldwin was negligent and did not follow gun safety protocol. Negligent to the point of being found criminally liable, I highly doubt it, but I was pretty sure he was negligent enough to lose the civil case (he already settled).

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad