Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CHB writes

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10...x-history-extra-innings-postseason-thrillers/

The Red Sox got the biggest of breaks in the top of the 13th when a long fly ball by Kevin Kiermaier banged off the right field bullpen wall, then banged off Sox outfielder Hunter Renfroe, and popped into the bullpen for a ground-rule double. Yandy Díaz, who was on first base when the ball was struck, would have scored easily on the hit, but was forced to stop at third.

Wow. It’s certainly not the spirit of the rule. What would stop any outfielder from directing any bouncing ball out of play to keep a runner from scoring? The Rays were ripped off big time. If a call like that went against Boston, Sox fans would riot.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ehh I don’t mind that it’s an automatic ground rule double…cut and dry, no grey area…I think that’s better than leaving it up to the umpire’s judgement as that could lead to bigger issues. At least it is clearly defined this way.

Shitty for TB but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
What is there to question? It's pretty cut and dry.

Is it absolutely stupid? Mmhmm..but there's literally no grey area.

I can't believe this is still happening. The umps got the call right based on the rule. The rule itself is dumb.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
CHB writes

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10...x-history-extra-innings-postseason-thrillers/

The Red Sox got the biggest of breaks in the top of the 13th when a long fly ball by Kevin Kiermaier banged off the right field bullpen wall, then banged off Sox outfielder Hunter Renfroe, and popped into the bullpen for a ground-rule double. Yandy Díaz, who was on first base when the ball was struck, would have scored easily on the hit, but was forced to stop at third.

Wow. It’s certainly not the spirit of the rule. What would stop any outfielder from directing any bouncing ball out of play to keep a runner from scoring? The Rays were ripped off big time. If a call like that went against Boston, Sox fans would riot.

Was it not posted that any interpretation of the player's impact being deliberate leads to the two base award begin at the time of the player deflecting the ball out of play? Via the rulebook.

Rendering this what-if a moot point.

If a player deliberately deflects the ball out of play the correct call should be to punish that player and allow the run to score. This naturally deters this type of action.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Ehh I don’t mind that it’s an automatic ground rule double…cut and dry, no grey area…I think that’s better than leaving it up to the umpire’s judgement as that could lead to bigger issues. At least it is clearly defined this way.

Shitty for TB but that’s the way it goes sometimes.
They have a damn catwalk that has like 5 different rules so I don’t want to hear them crying about this.

Also, this has happened before and they got the benefit of the doubt so it wasn’t an issue.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They have a damn catwalk that has like 5 different rules so I don’t want to hear them crying about this.

Also, this has happened before and they got the benefit of the doubt so it wasn’t an issue.
I haven’t heard anyone from TB arguing about it…even Cash said after the game that he knew the rule and that was why he didn’t challenge, even if it was obvious the runner was going to score.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the rules of the rings kinda make sense it’s just math but the fact that there’s a stadium that has a roof in play and needs a rule like that is foolishness.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Umpires explain quirky ground-rule double

“The umpires met and got together, and said, you're more than welcome to challenge it," Rays manager Kevin Cash said after the game. "I saw the replay. Obviously, there was nothing intentional about it. That's just the rule. That's the way it goes. It was very unfortunate for us. I think it was fairly obvious that KK or Yandy was going to come around to score, but it didn't go our way.”

Reactions: The National

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I can't believe this is still happening. The umps got the call right based on the rule. The rule itself is dumb.
Maybe so…I just don’t like going the route of leaving it up to the umps to make judgement calls about what probably would’ve happened or could’ve happened. Yeah, there’s a 99.9% chance he scores…but there’s a chance, as remote as it may be, that he trips or blows out a hamstring coming around 3rd.

We already get enough umpire influence with balls/strikes…no need for anything more, especially for a play that hardly ever happens.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
CHB writes

I'm not surprised to see Shank say this. He's never let facts get in the way before. It's really a shame that he can't put the bare minimum effort into his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad