Confirmed with Link: Al Trautwig contract not renewed with MSG Network

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Something very nefarious happened with Al. No way in hell he doesn't get a proper send off had it just been a medical issue.

It had to be abuse of drugs or alcohol and the suits at MSG had warned him about it and he kept screwing up...something along those lines. Its a shame cause Al was a good soldier and one of the better interviewers in the business. He'll be missed.

I agree, although I hate to speculate on that without some type of inside knowledge.

They didn’t renew his contract, but if it was what we think then I’m happy they just let his contract end and let him go respectfully. It’s nice that they didn’t trash him walking out the door.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
UPDATE - Where are they now? Sports broadcaster Al Trautwig

Where are they now? Sports broadcaster Al Trautwig

Al Trautwig realizes a return to full-time television work is not likely at this stage of his life and career. But that does not mean the 68-year-old has run out of things to say.
“I’m planning on writing a book,” he told Newsday recently. “There’s a lot of good stuff in there – or will be.”
That figures. Surely, he managed to collect plenty of good behind-the-scenes material during his decades in sports television, including 30 at MSG Networks.
“Oh, my God,” he said, indicating an affirmative.
Still, do not expect much dirt.
“That’s always a hard thing to do,” he said. “It’s always like, what kind of dirt can you dish? I’m not really sure yet. I don’t really have that much dirt.”
It has been three years since Trautwig left MSG when the network opted not to renew his contract.
In the interim, he has taught at Adelphi, his alma mater, through last spring. He also recently underwent cancer treatment. He did not specify the type of cancer but said he has been “cleared, and now it is just a matter of getting better.”
The cancer scare did affect his speech, which was not as clear as usual in a phone conversation with Newsday. But his plan when fully healthy is to return to college teaching and/or to tackle that book.
Trautwig grew up in Garden City South, graduated from Carey High School then Adelphi and currently lives in Glen Cove, part of a lifelong tie to Long Island that included stints as an Islanders stick boy and Nets ball boy in the 1970s.
He also over decades became one of the most versatile and recognizable figures in sports media nationally, including 16 Olympics (11 for NBC, 5 for ABC), and locally, notably as a studio host for MSG.
When he left MSG in 2021, he told Newsday, “I have over 30 years of wonderful memories at MSG. Unfortunately, the non-renewal of my contract after 30 years with no real explanation is not one of them."
MSG said at the time, "Al will always be one of the great broadcasters in sports television and we wish him all the best."
Trautwig took a leave of absence in September 2019 for what was described as personal reasons after he appeared unwell to many viewers during coverage of a Rangers preseason game.
That December, he returned with a pre-recorded interview of then Rangers president John Davidson, but he did not appear for the rest of that winter sports season or the following one.
Trautwig said he holds no grudge against MSG.
“I think when you work in this business long enough, you’re prepared for that,” he said. “I was disappointed, but I wasn’t shocked.”
He added, “I’m very happy. The MSG thing ran its course.”
Might he someday return to TV?
“Anything is possible,” he said, “but when you get to my age, I think it’s very hard to work your way in there.”
He always will have the memories.
“Oh, my God, yeah; it was fantastic,” he said. “[The Knicks] should have won a championship [in 1994], and they didn’t. They were in a great run.
“On any given night, for the longest time, they were good enough to win. And the Garden was electric. Pat Riley was there, and it was fantastic.”
He said he still thinks about the games the Knicks could have won early in the 1994 NBA Finals against the Rockets that would have wrapped up the title even before the teams went to Houston for Games 6 and 7, where the Rockets secured a 4-3 series victory.
“They were easily in a position to win, and they didn’t, and that bothered me,” he said.
Trautwig said he still watches sports avidly, including the Knicks.
“They have a lot of heart,” he said. “It seems like they have a lot of resilience. Oh, God, I would love to see [a championship].”

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Classic Rongos.
MSG & The NYR aren’t the same thing.

I’m not buying that he wasn’t told why his contract wasn’t renewed… something’s there. Maybe he doesn’t wanna come out & say it?

The irony is that if he did it today, he might still have a job. Nowadays, it happens regularly, with people drunk or stoned out in a live studio or at a live event, and it's a reprimand at most.
I think this is a little off… there’s a difference between Chelios & or Messier who are well known legends brought in to give opinions being a little “over served” on air and a staffer being like that.

Reactions: gabevh3

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
MSG & The NYR aren’t the same thing.

I’m not buying that he wasn’t told why his contract wasn’t renewed… something’s there. Maybe he doesn’t wanna come out & say it?

I think this is a little off… there’s a difference between Chelios & or Messier who are well known legends brought in to give opinions being a little “over served” on air and a staffer being like that.
How dare you call Al a staffer lol. I'm just saying that these days, people do stupid stuff on air or off air in their personal lives and maybe are forced to take a leave of absence and then get to come back eventually when they apologize or something. Jeffrey Toobin, he's not well known, he's a legal analyst contributor to CNN, got caught masturbating and exposing on a Zoom call, was able to return. Leon Harris a local TV news anchor here got a DUI and leaving the scene and was able to come back after some time.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
How dare you call Al a staffer lol. I'm just saying that these days, people do stupid stuff on air or off air in their personal lives and maybe are forced to take a leave of absence and then get to come back eventually when they apologize or something. Jeffrey Toobin, he's not well known, he's a legal analyst contributor to CNN, got caught masturbating and exposing on a Zoom call, was able to return. Leon Harris a local TV news anchor here got a DUI and leaving the scene and was able to come back after some time.
I didn't realize Toobin came (pun intended) back!

I honestly don't know what happened or didn't. Al was a BIG part of MSG for a LOT of years (I can't remember watching when he wasn't there & I'm 50) including the 1994 Cup

I have a very hard time believing they didn't renew & didn't tell him why.

Not going to speculate. Just hard to believe in Corp America.

That kinda deal "usually" goes into the sexual harassment "We won't renew, you step away & don't mention it" kinda thing.

There, I speculated lol

I wish him the best tho

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Al basically looked like a ghoul at the end of his career. It was upsetting to see on TV and they had no choice but to remove him.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I didn't realize Toobin came (pun intended) back!

I honestly don't know what happened or didn't. Al was a BIG part of MSG for a LOT of years (I can't remember watching when he wasn't there & I'm 50) including the 1994 Cup

I have a very hard time believing they didn't renew & didn't tell him why.

Not going to speculate. Just hard to believe in Corp America.

That kinda deal "usually" goes into the sexual harassment "We won't renew, you step away & don't mention it" kinda thing.

There, I speculated lol

I wish him the best tho

Toobin's been back but not nearly as prolific as before. Leon Harris is back in his nightly anchor chair.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Not bashing the guy but I felt there were times he said some very strange things to our players.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Like what? Genuine question because off the top of my head I don’t remember anything out of the ordinary.

It was his deliverability combined with some weird questions. I recall he would ask weird blunt quetions like "Why didn't you score tonight" "Why aren't you winning the game" and just sort of stare at the player and then move on to a similar question and not have much retort.

I feel bad for Al but his explanation of being blindsided and have no idea why he was let go show he is either extremely naive or he's lying by omission.

Most people saw a dude who couldn't perform his job and looked seriously ill and needed help.

Reactions: nevesis

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I like Stan Fischler better

f63d46fb-cb24-47ea-92a7-c1aeae38ebbb_text.gif

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Al basically looked like a ghoul at the end of his career. It was upsetting to see on TV and they had no choice but to remove him.

His teeth were so bad, and it’s obvious he had the money/insurance coverage to get it fixed. Could have been substance abuse making it worse?

Something definitely nefarious was going on for him to be shitcanned with no explanation from MSG.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Al, Bruce Beck, Bob Page, Sal Mesina, Mike Crispino (prior to his Devils affiliation).....those were THE guys for MSG Network along with Sam and JD I grew up with.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
His teeth were so bad, and it’s obvious he had the money/insurance coverage to get it fixed. Could have been substance abuse making it worse?

Something definitely nefarious was going on for him to be shitcanned with no explanation from MSG.
He was a huge smoker. That is enough to ruin anyone's teeth & gums.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Loved Al, him on the intermissions made them must watch. I was never a fan of JG, but was surprised how much I warmed to him as the host. I think cutting back on the Keats and Byron bit made him much more watchable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad