Movies: Al Capone Biopic (Now called Capone) staring Tom Hardy

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Hardy is good

the one thing I would have changed was, I would have done the movie from the perspective of his wife and how she saw him change.

The idea and plot was there and Hardy is good, but it left me lacking-overall it just was not interesting enough. Not sure what the director/writer was aiming for but he missed on most of the stuff he was trying to do

When you're selling the movie on Tom Hardy as Capone, chances are it's gonna be from his perspective, but I do think that would've been interesting.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
When you're selling the movie on Tom Hardy as Capone, chances are it's gonna be from his perspective, but I do think that would've been interesting.

Let me put a little twist to it. Hardy would have been in it just as much but I think due to the fact it was from Capones point of view is one of the reasons why the movie is not that good.

His wife was fanatically loyal till the bitter end and I think showing his last years from his perspective would have been better. The last thing I expected from a Tom Hardy film was so much of a snooze. I think anyone who took the director/writers side in his battle with the fantastic four needs to see the movie where due to Hardy he had complete control

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm a huge Tom Hardy fan so I will see this at some point. I have stayed away from his foray into stuff like Venom, but he is criminally underrated so I'm glad he can soak up some of that fanboy cash when he can. Locke, Warrior, Taboo, Peaky Blinders, he kills it in every serious role I've watched.
I agree. I am worried he will move into Robert DeNiro mode, doing everything / anything - and he's too young for that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm probably going to watch it tonight, I'm interested in the whole regression of his mind thing as I recently had a relative go thru something similar.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
one little nit pick

not a spoiler--but during the end credit is suggests after he died, his family changed their names and moved away.

None of his brothers outlived him and his widow May Coughlin Capone used her married name till she died in 1986. Albert Capone(sonny) lived in Florida most of his life and did change his by dropping his last name and going by Albert Francis--but you can see why going by Al Capone jr may not be the best way to do thing.

interesting fact (maybe) Growing up Al Jr was friends with Desi Arnez Sr. That was till Desilu productions made the tv show the untouchables and lawsuits started flying

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
one little nit pick

not a spoiler--but during the end credit is suggests after he died, his family changed their names and moved away.

None of his brothers outlived him and his widow May Coughlin Capone used her married name till she died in 1986. Albert Capone(sonny) lived in Florida most of his life and did change his by dropping his last name and going by Albert Francis--but you can see why going by Al Capone jr may not be the best way to do thing.
At least a couple of his brothers outlived him but they didn't change their names. He had 8 siblings in total. His oldest brother changed his name before Al was a known criminal and went on to become a famous law enforcement agent known as Richard "two gun" Hart.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What a garbage movie.

Of all things they could have done with Al Capone (and Tom Hardy) ....... what the hell was this? :facepalm:
I agree. The ONLY positive... the movie moved along at a pretty good pace. I was never bored or looking at my watch. Other than that, it was pretty bad.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree. The ONLY positive... the movie moved along at a pretty good pace. I was never bored or looking at my watch. Other than that, it was pretty bad.

I can agree with that, but wow what a waste of what could be a great story as well as Tom Hardy's time.

Its like the Travolta Gotti movie.... God Awful - but at least we have the Armand Assante one from 1996 that HBO made. I am surprised that they haven't really done a major flick on Capones time as Chicago Outfit boss, its an easy money maker.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Both those movies have a lot of fiction in them. Not really what I'd call a biopic. The Untouchables was more about Elliot Ness than Capone. It was pretty corny too.
Yes, The Untouchables was corny - but I loved it when I was young.

At the end of the day, Capone was not an expensive movie (single location, Hardy is the only big salary) and it deserves to lose the $20,000,000 it cost to make.

Hardy needs to realize that he can't make a lousy movie better but just throwing on some makeup and grunting. There has to be more.

Hollywood is releasing the movies it knows are weak and would likely lose money even if the theaters were open. They're trying to remind fans that Netflix isn't the only place to get content. Unfortunately, the movies they're releasing won't help in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad