Movies: Al Capone Biopic (Now called Capone) staring Tom Hardy

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Al Capone Biopic Fonzo Announces Casting
Linda Cardellini, Matt Dillon, Kyle MacLachlan Join Tom Hardy’s Al Capone Biopic
There is no release date for Fonzo yet, but principal photography begins in New Orleans on April 2.

Sounds like they are picking up after Capone was let out of jail due to how bad his brain damage was at this point in time

Linda Cardellini, Matt Dillon, Kyle MacLachlan Join Tom Hardy’s Al Capone Biopic

Interesting cast shaping up

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
From what I have heard its basically a movies of flashbacks. So it will be set after jail but the majority of the movie will be flashbacks to his heyday - sort of like what they did with Black Mass & J Edgar.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
From what I have heard its basically a movies of flashbacks. So it will be set after jail but the majority of the movie will be flashbacks to his heyday - sort of like what they did with Black Mass & J Edgar.

The trailer made it seem like it’ll be less about flashbacks and more about his mind slipping into dimentia. Where his flashbacks are blending with his current reality and he can’t tell the difference.

I hope it’s that. It’ll be a way cooler take than the standard monster movie.

Reactions: Voight

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Weirdly seems to be about Capone after he left prison when his brain was basically swiss cheese from syphilis and he was long gone from running the Chicago Outfit. Not the era I'd have picked, but that's just me of course.

member 51464

Weirdly seems to be about Capone after he left prison when his brain was basically swiss cheese from syphilis and he was long gone from running the Chicago Outfit. Not the era I'd have picked, but that's just me of course.
Maybe the idea is it's the part of his life least represented in media, so it could draw in new or different eyes.

Reactions: Bakayoko Ono

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think it’s an interesting part of his life to explore. You hear it referenced but typically not covered in any movie.

Even when he got out the FBI hounded him. There is a couple of books out there that address how crazy he acted towards the end. There is one story of him being in a grocery store telling for long dead associates and him holding imaginary meetings, where fruit stood in for his crew

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Maybe the idea is it's the part of his life least represented in media, so it could draw in new or different eyes.
Yeah, but it's the least represented in the media because he didn't really do anything interesting after prison and wasn't a gangster anymore. It's kinda like a biopic of Wayne Greztky that focuses on his coaching career in Phoenix.

Also interesting, this film marks the directorial return of Josh Trank, last seen as director for the last Fantastic Four reboot...and the subsequent fallout when the film bombed hard, trashing his own film in the media and blaming the studio, and absolutely nothing since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think a biopic that focused on Gretzky at Phoenix might be interesting--sort of what do you do after the ball is over. As for the Capone flick, how thrilling would yet another straight-forward famous gangster biopic be? I mean, yawn. So I like this new slant (and we can all hope that Hardy ditches the bloody mumble).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think a biopic that focused on Gretzky at Phoenix might be interesting--sort of what do you do after the ball is over. As for the Capone flick, how thrilling would yet another straight-forward famous gangster biopic be? I mean, yawn. So I like this new slant (and we can all hope that Hardy ditches the bloody mumble).

Weirdly enough, your comment about Gretzky made me think how a movie about the development and subsequent launch of the Sega Dreamcast could be very interesting in the right hands. The story and legacy of that console raises some really interesting question about the idea of being genius/genuiely ahead of your time and the external factors that can affect the concept of being at the right place at the right time or vice-versa.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Weirdly enough, your comment about Gretzky made me think how a movie about the development and subsequent launch of the Sega Dreamcast could be very interesting in the right hands. The story and legacy of that console raises some really interesting question about the idea of being genius/genuiely ahead of your time and the external factors that can affect the concept of being at the right place at the right time or vice-versa.

The NFL/NBA 2k series on Dreamcast still holds up to this day.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I dunno. The Irish versus Italian gang war in Prohibition times had lots of twists and turns. I'm sure there's plenty of angles they could find. As it is I think this one's probably going to end up being something like a clip show of scenes from Al's glory days interspersed with shots of his later, disabled years. I hope not, but Josh Trank doesn't inspire confidence.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My review from another thread...

Capone (2020) :

If you were lucky enough to look like Tom Hardy (a cross between a young Marlon Brando and a young Paul Newman), would you cake your skin in makeup? Me neither, but Tom Hardy does exactly that - he has blood, boils and/or dead skin hanging from his face throughout the movie. Like sitting across from a bearded friend as he eats saucy chicken wings, it’s enough to turn your stomach.

To make matters worse, not once, not twice, but on three different occasions we see an incontinent Al Capone unintentionally emptying his bladders/bowels, as we, and his friends and family, cringe.

Yuck!!!

If we have to sit through that kind of ugliness, the movie better be great. Unfortunately, Capone is far from great.

Tom Hardy plays Al Capone after he's been released from prison and while syphilis destroys his mind and body. But, unlike in Legend when Hardy’s performance was the only reason to watch, Hardy makes things worse. His (over)acting, like everything else in this film, is so over the top, so in your face, it makes watching painful.

4/10

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The reviews aren't great, but it sounds like it's a film that takes some chances. Not to mention I'm a full-blown, card carrying member of the Tom Hardy fan club so I'll probably give it a watch.

Reactions: Voight
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm a huge Tom Hardy fan so I will see this at some point. I have stayed away from his foray into stuff like Venom, but he is criminally underrated so I'm glad he can soak up some of that fanboy cash when he can. Locke, Warrior, Taboo, Peaky Blinders, he kills it in every serious role I've watched.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The reviews aren't great, but it sounds like it's a film that takes some chances. Not to mention I'm a full-blown, card carrying member of the Tom Hardy fan club so I'll probably give it a watch.

Hardy is good

the one thing I would have changed was, I would have done the movie from the perspective of his wife and how she saw him change.

The idea and plot was there and Hardy is good, but it left me lacking-overall it just was not interesting enough. Not sure what the director/writer was aiming for but he missed on most of the stuff he was trying to do

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad