Recalled/Assigned: Akeson and Heeter recalled from Phantoms

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Sure, he was terrible at the beginning of the season. but he has actually been decent lately. it's not like its a sure thing we are going to lose when emery is in net
Exactly. Emery has battled and won a few games for us recently, or took points off top teams. He is what you need: a backup who can win. And there was not point risking him getting hurt today, just in case Mason is not able to go in Game 1 vs. the Rangers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Emery has had a sv% of .857 on Saturday and .867 on Thursday. Heeter had a sv% of .868 today. That is not decent lately for Emery. He is not on his game lately and did not look good yesterday at all.

Edit: Heeter put up stats today equal to Emery's play as of late. He was shaky in the first 20-something minutes of the game but then calmed down and made some decent saves after the 4th goal with the only other goals being given up being the odd bounce and the shootout. Heeter needs work and experience in preseason games, camp, and meaningless games like this before he should be considered for a backup job. Emery has been up and down this year and is currently in a down period. Thankfully it appears Mason will be good to go for playoffs. A different backup should be looked into for next season.

Heeter played poorly today. He let in 3 really weak goals, but that's right on par for Emery who's been doing the same for a while now. The difference is that Heeter was playing in his 1st ever NHL game and he was clearly extremely nervous and overthinking things. Emery's horrible because he's not physically capable of playing at a high enough level anymore. Could Heeter get better still and end up a decent backup, sure. Will Emery magically fix his hips and suddenly be decent again, no.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
This isn't even a matter of opinion, you're just wrong. Go watch the highlights of the last bunch of games he played in, he's been horrible. He lets in at least one really weak goal per game.

I'm seriously shocked that there are people on here blind enough to think he's been fine. :amazed:

Exactly! Look at the stats I posted in the post above yours. Also people have been on Heeter for his five-hole in this game but Emery let in an awful five-hole goal yesterday against the Pens. Emery has had some good games but the last two games have been pretty bad and the game he played in before that was just okay. I also remember reading here somewhere that Emery's shootout stats are terrible. I wish I knew where I saw that on here though. Maybe Appleyard has those stats?

Edit: Saw after I posted that you did read it. Heeter doesn't have the same composure or experience that a guy like Gibson has. Stolarz probably has more experience in bigger games than Heeter and as a result likely has better composure. Heeter just seemed really nervous and shaky in the beginning which when combined with poor defensive play, led to some bad goals. You and I seem to be thinking the same thing.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
This isn't even a matter of opinion, you're just wrong. Go watch the highlights of the last bunch of games he played in, he's been horrible. He lets in at least one really weak goal per game.

I'm seriously shocked that there are people on here blind enough to think he's been fine. :amazed:

I understand the last 3 or 4 he hasn't done well. Honestly I'm not sure what you expect from a backup. There arent many backups that can come in a replicate mason's performances.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I understand the last 3 or 4 he hasn't done well. Honestly I'm not sure what you expect from a backup. There arent many backups that can come in a replicate mason's performances.

What the hell is it with people trying to argue with me and making up things I never said?

Where did I say he would replicate Masons performances?

Nobody is expecting to have an all-star backup who's going to play fantastic every game, never let in a weak goal, and carry the team to victory. It's not realistic.

What is realistic is expecting to have a backup that can move post to post as if he's on ice and who doesn't let in 1-3 incredibly soft goals per game like clockwork. All I want is a backup goalie who can play well enough that the he isn't single handedly sinking the ship by letting in goals that literally any NHL goalie must save.

Just look at the Pens game, the starter was playing great but had to leave the game so it's up to the backup to close it out. Emery comes in to a game where the team has the lead and was playing pretty well and lets in an incredibly weak goal. Then Flyers score a goal with around a minute remaining to take the lead... and not even a minute later he lets in another soft goal. Luckily for him the team played well enough to make up for it and get the win, what if that's a playoff game and he loses them the series because he let's in two weak goals in the 3rd? I'd be annoyed but understand if he did that but they weren't both goals that were completely his fault... but they were. Maybe you can't count on your backup to make any huge clutch saves, but you shouldn't be worried every time they toss a weak shot on net and expect him to screw it up.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009

3 Backups who will be FA after this season and who have been talked about in the Emery thread:

Anton Khudobin- 19-14-1, .926 sv%, 2.30 GAA, 1 SO
Thomas Greiss- 9-8-5, .920 sv%, 2.35 GAA, 2 SO
Al Montoya- 13-8-3, .920 sv%, 2.30 GAA, 2 SO

Emery? 9-12-2, .903 sv%, 2.96 GAA, 2 SO

He is a goalie who is streaky with a degenerative hip. He has his good games but he will just keep getting worse. Today a guy in his first ever NHL game was clearly nervous and shaky in the first half of the game yet was still able to put on a similar performance to Emery in his last couple games as well as some of Emery's other games in which Emery received a W or L this season. Emery isn't really that great of a backup. I would be interested in seeing how he matches up to other backups, especially the ones on playoff teams.

In sticking with the actual topic...Heeter needs more experience and coaching. Keep Akeson up for playoffs, if he does well keep him in the lineup and if not scratch him but have him ready in case of injury. He did well today.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
3 Backups who will be FA after this season and who have been talked about in the Emery thread:

Anton Khudobin- 19-14-1, .926 sv%, 2.30 GAA, 1 SO
Thomas Greiss- 9-8-5, .920 sv%, 2.35 GAA, 2 SO
Al Montoya- 13-8-3, .920 sv%, 2.30 GAA, 2 SO

Emery? 9-12-2, .903 sv%, 2.96 GAA, 2 SO

He is a goalie who is streaky with a degenerative hip. He has his good games but he will just keep getting worse. Today a guy in his first ever NHL game was clearly nervous and shaky in the first half of the game yet was still able to put on a similar performance to Emery in his last couple games as well as some of Emery's other games in which Emery received a W or L this season. Emery isn't really that great of a backup. I would be interested in seeing how he matches up to other backups, especially the ones on playoff teams.

In sticking with the actual topic...Heeter needs more experience and coaching. Keep Akeson up for playoffs, if he does well keep him in the lineup and if not scratch him but have him ready in case of injury. He did well today.

He actually signed a two year extension with Carolina not too long ago.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ah I must have missed that somehow or forgot. Regardless, his stats still stand. Thanks for pointing it out though

Yeah, Montoya is still my #1 choice but I'm sure there will be a good amount of teams interested in his services this summer. He knows what his role is & he's been pretty good at it for a few years now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, Montoya is still my #1 choice but I'm sure there will be a good amount of teams interested in his services this summer. He knows what his role is & he's been pretty good at it for a few years now.

He was my number 1 choice last go around. Before Leighton. :facepalm:

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Heeter played poorly today. He let in 3 really weak goals, but that's right on par for Emery who's been doing the same for a while now. .

I do not believe Emery would have let all those 5 hole shots get past him, personally. He isn't THAT bad.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I can't believe people are so readily trashing a guy for 30 minutes of bad hockey in his first NHL game, ever. That's Flyers fans for you I guess.

Last edited:

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't believe people are so readily trashing a guy for 30 minutes of bad hockey in his first NHL game, ever. That's Flyers fans for you I guess.

It's pretty embarrassing. The kid had a bad game, but that doesn't mean he's got no future.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's pretty embarrassing. The kid had a bad game, but that doesn't mean he's got no future.

Meh, the existence of this kid's NHL future was already minimal at best. He's had one and a half decent AHL seasons. It's not like this is a top pick who is being called a bust in his first game. He's an undrafted college free agent who has looked average in the AHL over like 70 games. While it is certainly possible for him to still be an NHLer, I think the safest bet is that he won't be, even if he didn't play in that game yesterday.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Meh, the existence of this kid's NHL future was already minimal at best. He's had one and a half decent AHL seasons. It's not like this is a top pick who is being called a bust in his first game. He's an undrafted college free agent who has looked average in the AHL over like 70 games. While it is certainly possible for him to still be an NHLer, I think the safest bet is that he won't be, even if he didn't play in that game yesterday.

Eh, not going to say he has an NHL future or what not but you are severely underrating his season. At multiple long period of time the Phantoms had 2-3 ECHL fillers on defense. Heeter has had a very good season, way better than average. And this defense system Murray tries (tries is a key word) to apply hasnt worked out yet.

As someone who had watched over 40 AHL games this season, Heeter had been a main reason why they have won any games or came close to winning. I dont know if he will play in the NHL but this average season stuff is easily incorrect.

People seem to forget that around midseason, he had one of the top 5 best goalie stats in the league. It wasnt until the defenders started to get hurt, echl fillers started to play and the overall system exploding did Heeter start to do average.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Eh, not going to say he has an NHL future or what not but you are severely underrating his season. At multiple long period of time the Phantoms had 2-3 ECHL fillers on defense. Heeter has had a very good season, way better than average. And this defense system Murray tries (tries is a key word) to apply hasnt worked out yet.

As someone who had watched over 40 AHL games this season, Heeter had been a main reason why they have won any games or came close to winning. I dont know if he will play in the NHL but this average season stuff is easily incorrect.

People seem to forget that around midseason, he had one of the top 5 best goalie stats in the league. It wasnt until the defenders started to get hurt, echl fillers started to play and the overall system exploding did Heeter start to do average.

Putting up decent stats in the AHL, even on a bad team, is not any indication to me that a goalie has an NHL future. Couple that with his ugly performance yesterday, and I don't think there is anything wrong in considering that when thinking about this guy's future. Just like if he came in and kicked ass I would at least be considering changing my outlook on him.

Either way, I wasn't penciling him in as a backup next year one way or another. I don't care if he put up a 50 save shut out against the Bruins or a 10 save blowout against the Oilers. If he comes in to camp next year and plays well, that's a different story. But at this point, I do not see him now as an NHL backup, and his chances of reaching that are slim if you ask me.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Seriously, go watch some highlights. He's that bad.

We all have our opinions. I still say he isn't THAT bad. And, I've seen every game this season.

I know this is a hockey forum, and discussion is the point of it. But, it really is amazing how everyone just flat out SUCKs after any particular game (according to the forum) - and people want to immediately dump that player. But then all is forgiven the next time that player does a good job the following game. Except for 1 or 2 players... Emery being one of them.

I say he's better than the goalies on many other teams, stat wise. Emery's SV% is better than Brodeur (this season) on the Devils, who is considered a legend.

I realize that Heeter was nervous, and this was his very first game. But he is DEFINITELY not ready for prime time. I think this was basically a try out to see if they could rely on him as a backup next season. Obviously, he isn't ready. And, I say that even Emery would not have let those first few goals in.

There may be some "new" blood out there - but you are sorta taking a chance. I don't know if any GOOD goalies are going to be available this summer. Considering the history of goalies as of late for the Flyers, Emery is a decent backup. And, he definitely was not the team's main problem in the beginning of the season.

At the Carnival, Emery told me he hoped to be back next year (and be resigned). Of course, that may have been something he was just saying to the public. Who knows.

Last edited:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I thought Akeson looked decent yesterday. Much better than McGinn has looked. Wouldn't mind going into the playoffs with...

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Akeson-Schenn-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Downie
Hall/Rinaldo-Lecavalier-Raffl

Gives you 4 lines that can score

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Downie is currently/supossidly a healthy scratch (I thought he was injured but the beat guys were saying he is a healthy scratch.)

Also Berube loves Rinaldo so there is a good chance Zac plays. Just hope he doesnt play over Akeson since you know, zac scored a goal that one time on the 3rd line.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I thought Akeson looked decent yesterday. Much better than McGinn has looked. Wouldn't mind going into the playoffs with...

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Akeson-Schenn-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Downie
Hall/Rinaldo-Lecavalier-Raffl

Gives you 4 lines that can score

I know people around here don't like to go this route, but I think you go with what you know. Akeson looked good yesterday, no doubt. But it is one game. Go with the lineup that got you there. If someone doesn't work, then swap him out for Akeson. I don't think you want to go into the playoffs, against a huge rival, with a guy who is known to have defensive issues and has only two NHL games under his belt. Granted the Rangers aren't an offensive dynamo, but I'd still be more comfortable with the 12 guys that got us there. If Rinaldo has a bad game (as I'm assuming he is the one most people would swap for Akeson), then you put Akeson out there.

I wouldn't be mad if Akeson got the start or Rinaldo, it just wouldn't be the route I'd go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad