Recalled/Assigned: Akeson and Heeter recalled from Phantoms

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I don't think Heeter is as bad as we saw. When he calmed down, he did much better.

I seriously hope Akeson stays up.

I agree. He definitely did much better as the game went on and the final goal against him in regulation was a really unlucky bounce. He had better post to post speed than Emery as well.

Akeson was great I thought. He threw his body around a little bit too.

flyersguy33*

Heeter's style looks absolutely putrid. We need to sign a backup goalie this offseason

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
Heeter's style looks absolutely putrid. We need to sign a backup goalie this offseason

Not saying that he should be the backup next year but Emery wouldn't have done much better in this game. It was a joke that the other fans in the seats were calling for Emery. If Heeter played a full game without the nerves he likely performs better. He still needs some work but when settled down he is not awful, or at least is around Emery level.

flyersguy33*

Im pretty sure his 5hole is bigger than Leightons. Sure its not fair to judge him on one game, but man

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Not saying that he should be the backup next year but Emery wouldn't have done much better in this game. It was a joke that the other fans in the seats were calling for Emery. If Heeter played a full game without the nerves he likely performs better. He still needs some work but when settled down he is not awful, or at least is around Emery level.

Sorry - but I disagree. Emery is no where near that bad. And, he as won some games too. He IS a backup. For a backup - he's better than some of the previous goalies we have had. Emery is certainly better than Bryz, IMHO.

Emery is no Mason - but damn if I wouldn't take Emery over Heeter 8 days of the week.

At this point, it doesn't appear that Emery will be coming back - or they would have resigned him by now. So, it's all academic.

flyersguy33*

Sorry - but I disagree. Emery is no where near that bad. And, he as won some games too. He IS a backup. For a backup - he's better than some of the previous goalies we have had. Emery is certainly better than Bryz, IMHO.

Emery is no Mason - but damn if I wouldn't take Emery over Heeter 8 days of the week.

At this point, it doesn't appear that Emery will be coming back - or they would have resigned him by now. So, it's all academic.

That is not true. There is no reason to resign a backup goalie before the season even ends. Gotta see who becomes available before signing a backup goalie. Well thats what a normal GM would do, and we all know Homer isnt normal.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
To be fair though Emery's 5-hole yesterday on the one goal was really poor as well. People in the seats were calling for Emery after the second goal or something like that and I just wanted to facepalm. This was a meaningless game and there was no patience being shown by the fans with a goalie in his first NHL game and when he has only been a pro for a couple years. He still needs work but the fans hate him already. Defensive coverage was pretty terrible in the beginning of the game as well but the fans ignored that.

This game had about as much significance as a preseason game. If this had been a preseason game rather than a regular season game with no significance I doubt Heeter is given as much crap as he is now. The kid was scored on by Skinner twice and Staal twice, that's not bad competition. Skinner sniped it on the first goal while his second was the result of the bad bounce off the glass and on one of Staal's goals he just skated in to the zone without really being challenged.

Poor play by Heeter early in the game? Yes. Fair to put it all on him when the defense played how it did? No. Reasonable to call for Emery instead? You are asking for about an equal performance probably.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009

The last couple of games he hasn't been however and he wasn't good yesterday. He is on a bad streak the last couple games and with the way the defense was playing in the beginning of the game it isn't out of the question to expect him to only be a little better.

I want a UFA though rather than these two anyway.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
I'm sorry but emery definitely would have made most of those saves and probably would have gotten the win. Has he had some bad games, yes but he also has had some very good ones as well. If he played, no doubt in my mind he would have saved most of those routine five hole saves.

But, I'm glad that Berube left Heeter in to show him he had confidence in him and so he could get a chance to settle down. Towards the end of the game, Heeter was playing better.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Heeter did fine once he got settled. Took a while though.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I'm sorry but emery definitely would have made most of those saves and probably would have gotten the win. Has he had some bad games, yes but he also has had some very good ones as well. If he played, no doubt in my mind he would have saved most of those routine five hole saves.

But, I'm glad that Berube left Heeter in to show him he had confidence in him and so he could get a chance to settle down. Towards the end of the game, Heeter was playing better.

He is on a bad streak right now though. The first goal was a nice snipe and the final goal off the glass would have gone in if he went to play the puck behind the net like most do. The two on one 5 hole goal probably would have gone in based on his play yesterday as well. He may have saved the others but you don't know what would have happened with some of the cross crease plays on the Canes PP since that is a weakness of Emery.

If Emery was on one of his good streaks right now I would agree with you but his play as of late worries me.

I agree with Berube's handling of him also though. Really though the defense was bad in the early going of the game. So I am glad that they tightened up as well as the game went on.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
He looked dece once he settled in. Made some big saves and his rebounds seemed to work out in our favor. I dunno what was up with the Leighton impersonation to start the game though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Heeter played better late in the game in the sense that he wasn't turning routine saves into goals. The Flyers took over control of the game & he was saving the shots that NHL goalies are supposed to stop. That doesn't overturn a train wreck of game he handed in today.

It was his first game & maybe he does play in the NHL some day but there's no reason to polish a turd gold here.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
People must have had really low expectations going into the game to say Emery wouldn't have had a better effort. Emery's been struggling, but Heeter was brutal for most of the game. He made Bryz and Leighton look like Bernie Parent.

I don't get why you don't let Emery start that game and try to give him some confidence going into the playoffs. Who knows if you'll need him. I understand throwing the kid a bone, but Emery could have used the work.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
People must have had really low expectations going into the game to say Emery wouldn't have had a better effort. Emery's been struggling, but Heeter was brutal for most of the game. He made Bryz and Leighton look like Bernie Parent.

I don't get why you don't let Emery start that game and try to give him some confidence going into the playoffs. Who knows if you'll need him. I understand throwing the kid a bone, but Emery could have used the work.

Eh Emery is what he is at this point. a 9-12-2 goalie with a 2.96 GAA and a .903 SV%. Thats average at best stats for a backup, and if Mason ever did go down, him playing the last game wouldnt change the pretty bad season he had or the outcome in the playoffs if he would play.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Emery didn't need any work. He just played 80 minutes in the last three days.

And he definitely didn't need to play in a meaningless game where the team was barely playing defense.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Emery is either good or bad, he's had very few games were he was just solid/OK.

Going into next year you have to look elsewhere, there are better options out there.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
Sure, he was terrible at the beginning of the season. but he has actually been decent lately. it's not like its a sure thing we are going to lose when emery is in net

Emery has had a sv% of .857 on Saturday and .867 on Thursday. Heeter had a sv% of .868 today. That is not decent lately for Emery. He is not on his game lately and did not look good yesterday at all.

Edit: Heeter put up stats today equal to Emery's play as of late. He was shaky in the first 20-something minutes of the game but then calmed down and made some decent saves after the 4th goal with the only other goals being given up being the odd bounce and the shootout. Heeter needs work and experience in preseason games, camp, and meaningless games like this before he should be considered for a backup job. Emery has been up and down this year and is currently in a down period. Thankfully it appears Mason will be good to go for playoffs. A different backup should be looked into for next season.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sure, he was terrible at the beginning of the season. but he has actually been decent lately. it's not like its a sure thing we are going to lose when emery is in net

This isn't even a matter of opinion, you're just wrong. Go watch the highlights of the last bunch of games he played in, he's been horrible. He lets in at least one really weak goal per game.

I'm seriously shocked that there are people on here blind enough to think he's been fine. :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad