News Article: AK Bars interested in Valiev

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Right now if MB learned anything from last season the defense should be.

(ufa or trade)-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen

Unless we acquire two left handed dmen this off season i don't see how Mete doesn't fit into an healthy defense. He was our best LHD this season. Alzner is not good enough to play top 4 unless the top 3 is best in class which out top 3 is not. Benn and Schlemko are not NHL dmen. They can play a 7th dman role (as can Lernout) but they belong to the AHL or Europe.

At least can we pretend we acquired Weber to help kids? What's the point of Weber if the defense includes Benn, Schlemko and Alzner? I don't care if Schlemko has two years left Weber will be 35 by then. Schlemko is not a NHLer and he should not play in the NHL.
I'd like to see a little of Reilly before we dismiss him. He has good offensive talent but needs to work on his defence.

Reactions: Laurentide

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Would be nice for Mete and Juulsen to spend a whole season in Laval with proper coaching and allow them to focus on honing both sides of their game, but especially offensively.

I hope the organization embraces this upcoming season as another opportunity to tank and gets themselves a good chance to draft Hughes. This guy is better than Matthews and the best chance a young player has of entering the McDavid tier.

You should start that post with, "I have a dream..."

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I hope the organization embraces this upcoming season as another opportunity to tank and gets themselves a good chance to draft Hughes.

they may not have to TRY to tank.....it could happen naturally, like it did last season

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
https://www.tsn.ca/agent-no-khl-decision-for-valiev-soshnikov-1.1080277

Milstein said Valiev, who was traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Montreal Canadiens in the deal, was happy to get a look from the NHL club late in the season after playing in the AHL for three years. The 22-year-old is scheduled to become a restricted free agent on July 1 and Milstein said that negotiations with the Canadiens will begin in early June.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's no biggie. Yet....you wonder how a guy who has to know how bad we are defensively already took the decision to just leave. It's not like we were so deep that he knew he'd be No14 or something...

I'm guessing he just wants to go back home. If he wants to really make the NHL and believes in his chances, well as you said, the Habs are probably one the teams he'd have the best opportunities to crack the line up on. He only played 5 games in the AHL with us, so it's not like he spent a lot of time working with people he hated, but even if he had, we fired Lefebvre...

Altogher, I'm sure he just wanted to go back home. Not sure if we targeted him or he was put in by the Leafs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

AcadiaAxeMan

Mar 10, 2002
Grande Prairie, AB
Visit site
Can't blame him. When you are under guys like Schlemko and Benn on the depth chart it's better to leave. It's not like Valiev is 20 or 21. He will be 23 soon and you don't have any future with an organization if Schlemko and Benn are ahead of you.

Don't understand why we did not try him seriously at the end of last season.

I read that he ended the year on the DL with a LBI but liked that the HABS gave him a few games in the NHL.

https://www.tsn.ca/agent-no-khl-decision-for-valiev-soshnikov-1.1080277

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I do. You don't see Nashville employing a Karl Alzner level dman. Emelin, who is far better can hardly crack the lineup.

Nashville didn't win the Cup though.

Penguins had guy like Ruhwedel and Streit as depth D last year.
They had Lovejoy and Pouliot in 2016.
Hawks had Rundblad, Cumiskey and last legs Rozsival and Timonen in 2015.

Reactions: cap10bfl

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

Nashville is a Cup-level team, though.

Streit played 3 games in the playoffs
Ruhwedel played 6.
Lovejoy is far from a bad dman.
Pouliot played 2 games.
Rundblad played 5.
Roszival played 12 games throughout the playoffs and although was not in his prime was still playing alright.
Cumiskey played 9 GP.
Timonen I recall got a pretty good return at the TDL and was a good smart defenseman.

Those are bad examples for the most part. Cumiskey is the best one, and even he only playerd 9 GP.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Nashville is a Cup-level team, though.

Streit played 3 games in the playoffs
Ruhwedel played 6.
Lovejoy is far from a bad dman.
Pouliot played 2 games.
Rundblad played 5.
Roszival played 12 games throughout the playoffs and although was not in his prime was still playing alright.
Cumiskey played 9 GP.
Timonen I recall got a pretty good return at the TDL and was a good smart defenseman.

Those are bad examples for the most part. Cumiskey is the best one, and even he only playerd 9 GP.

What do you think a depth D is?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Definitely not as your go-to Ds. As depth Ds, I don't see the problem.
Alzner should be no higher than #7 on the depth chart. Heck, the Caps knew this and didn't even play him in the playoffs. I wonder what part of that strategy sounded off an alarm bell so loud than Bergevin decided to sign him the 1st chance he got.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018

Well when we have the Pens or Hawks strength at centre, then we can worry about employing s***ty depth D... until then, we cannot.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This conversation goes back to a post that lists Alzner on the third pair, which means he would be a regular. "Depth D" wasn't the best termonology.

Fair point.

Reilly (and Alzner I guess) would be fine 7/8th D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad